Demos Banning Guns - My Correspondence with owner

Guest donfromtexas

In my personal opinion, anyone that thinks "banning guns" in their establishment is just ignorant.

Why.. in any capacity would you not want a law abiding gun carrier in your establishment to begin with?

When you post the "gun ban" to let every criminal know that this is an "easy" target and nobody here can defend against you, please take our money, shoot whoever you want, nobody is armed and fight you...

I just do not understand that thought process.

same thing goes for parks.... "we can not see any reason for carrying guns in our parks"

WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?

So your telling me that you would rather have your child abducted under gunpoint by a badguy with a gun that could care less about the "no guns allowed" sign than to have him/her protected by a LAW ABIDING CITIZINE tha had to leave their gun in the car around the block?

I just don't get....

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead
hex writes

if he is a liberal on these qualifications, I think we need more liberals. Sounds like a hell of a guy in spite of his view on legal carry.

You should make the drive to Lebanon then. You can show your support for him with your wallet.

Guest HexHead

Btw he hasnt responded to my last email... im still waiting for a reply.

Don't hold your breath. His great legal mind is probably crafting another form letter. :P

Guest crotalus01

Glockmeister, you and I strongly disagree about the merits/drawbacks of OCing, but have you thought to maybe suggest to him to ban OC instead of trampling the rights of all HCP holders? I routinely OC (being in Memphis it works for me as a deterant to bums at least) and no way would I OC into a serving restaurant in the current climate. Just thinking that if he hasn't posted yet, and the staff there is not seeing guns, there is really no reason to post because as far as his patrons are concerned what they don't see shouldn't bother them.

By banning OC I really mean have his staff discreetly ask anyone who enters OCing to cover it up rather than leave. Just a thought, I have no dog in this hunt as he has no restaurants here, but I hate to hear you guys talk about the great food and service you would be missing out on if he does post...

well see what happens.... OC vs CC... we honestly shouldnt have to choose.

The thing is every day that goes by without incident is just another feather in our hat. I think as long as were polite but firm we will get our point across.

His knee jerk decision to post has left a very bad taste in my mouth... put it like this, half my staff went out with their family to eat there tonight. Me and my wife were thining about going there later, but justs couldnt. I fear he's already effected his buisnes, although in a very small way compared to what might come if he decides to go ahead and post.

I see what you are saying. I understand the line of thought.

One thing I won't do, that is become such a gun nazi that I will refuse to go places or participate in the parts of life where my handgun is not welcome. I can't have my gun in the Smoky's but I really enjoy going there. I am still going to go. I like Hooter's chicken wings. They say no guns, but I am still going to go once in a while.

But also to each his own. I fully respect those that feel put upon over this thing. I blame the law makers for passing a chicken scratch bill that allows someone to pick and choose if they will follow a law or not.

It is a tough decision, really it is.

Gun "nazis"? Really? That's how you view those of us who know that trouble doesn't make an appointment? Then you turn around and say that you respect those of us who feel put upon? I'm really confused... which one is it?

• 2 months later...

My ire still lies with the TN legislators. It is simply a crappy law.

You can't really fault the eating establishments for picking straws. As much as we hate it...Mr. Demo's response (canned as it seems to be) is very well thought out and rational. It does put them in a rather difficult situation.

Unless there is a change in the law we will be the ones coming out raw in this deal. Places like Demo's and other eating establishments will do just fine without us and the only people to suffer fools will be us.

Like it or not that is how the feather falls unless things change

The email response from Demos' posted months ago on this website helped me make a decision to not go back to Demos' in Lebanon or anywhere else. I've not gone back and given them a dime. I don't miss them either.

I've been to many restaurants that serve beer in the area that aren't posted. I think the hysteria generated by the Tennesse an and Commercial a ppeal is dying down.

Arizona is under the media microscope now.

The gun with slash thru it was posted at the door at the downtown location a few weeks ago when I walked by. It is not a legal posting as is described in TN law. Mick

And Mick I think that is there for the sheep to see. :poop:

We Know the correct sign & I expect that Demos Knows we Know! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest flyinglowwithheat
Poor little guy! Having to make those diffcult decisions all by himself when the state should make them for him.:koolaid:

I sent Mr. Demos a brief email outlining how wonderful I think his place is and that unfortunately I can't go there anymore because of the posting based on this thread. Here is the response that I received this morning. I'm going to reply back that I would love to just have a clarification on the matter so that I can safely carry my sidearm with me when I exit the parking garage in Nashville on the way to enjoying some wonderful Italian food! :up:

Mr. Demos' reply:

I'm sorry, but I do not understand. We have no sign posted. Did you see one?

Peter

Peter Demos

President

Demos' Restaurants

1119 NW Broad St

Murfreesboro TN, 37129

615-225-8797

615-962-9285 (fax)

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race”

-Calvin Coolidge

My Response:

Good morning Mr. Demos'

I was under the impression that your place was posted based on a thread that I read on the TGO website:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/tennessee-politics-legislation/24529-demos-banning-guns-my-correspondence-owner.html

Nearly every time that I go to Nashville I make it a point to visit your fine establishment and was really surprised and saddened to find this out. When you don't frequent a city very often, the forums are really the only way that we have to keep track of where we can legally carry.

If you have removed the signs, I commend you on that decision and will be certain to pass this on to the many TGO members. We all are BIG fans of Demo's and could almost certainly promise an increase in business!!

If you haven't removed the signs then we have no choice but to respect your decision. Keep in mind that we are all of the mindset that the SAFEST place for our sidearms is on our person not in a parking garage in downtown Nashville.

I apologize for any misunderstanding and look forward to your official clarification on this issue. Thanks so much and have a great day!

Sincerely,

Mike

UPDATE: Doesn't appear signs will be posted.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Demos Office <office@demosrestaurants.com> wrote:

Hi Mike. I'm sorry you feel this way but we have not posted any signs about gun control and we not intend to do so.

Hope to see you soon.

Doris Demos

Edited by flyinglowwithheat

you know, there was really no need in rehashing this point. Some of us took care of it directly with Mr. Demos several months ago. TO DATE THERE IS NO PROOF THEY HAVE POSTED! Read the whole thread. Before we go off half cocked, someone needs to see if the sign is really there, if so take a picture. I have been to several of the other locations and they aren't posted. If both owners are saying they aren't posted, then I think before we assume they are and send more emails, especially with links to this board, we need to make sure. I'm afraid all this "rehashing" might do more harm then good. It could bring something bad down on TGO, if they haven't posted.

I mean, fair is fair, if they havent posted then they shouldnt be accused of such.

Edited by GLOCKMEISTER
  • Administrator
you know, there was really no need in rehashing this point. Some of us took care of it directly with Mr. Demos several months ago.

TO DATE THERE IS NO PROOF THEY HAVE POSTED!

Read the whole thread. Before we go off half cocked, someone needs to see if the sign is really there, if so take a picture. I have been to several of the other locations and they aren't posted. If both owners are saying they aren't posted, then I think before we assume they are and send more emails, especially with links to this board, we need to make sure. I'm afraid all this "rehashing" might do more harm then good. It could bring something bad down on TGO, if they haven't posted.

I mean, fair is fair, if they havent posted then they shouldnt be accused of such.

Closing this thread. See quote above for reason why.