Best Broadheads

What do you guys use?

Fixed or Expandable?

What brand?

what weight?

And any thing else you want to add.

I am just getting back into bow hunting (thanks benfield8585), and didn't realize all the options out there, until I started flipping through this Redhead catalog.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally use "generic" expandables from walmart. Cheap and no failures after several years and deers! I'll look up the brand, but they are 125 grain shot from a horton crossbow. It suits me! We chrono'd the bow @ 308fps 2 years ago. I love it.

Dave

Guest walkingdeadman

So please explain to me why there is different grains and what I need to buy. I have some older broadheads, and I might just use them at first. Man, those brand new broadheads are HIGH!!!

Just like bullets, the broadhead weighs something and the more weight the more force but the drawback is it slows the arrow down. Generally 100 to 125 grains are the standards now.

I use the Montec G5s. They are one piece 3 blade razors but they are not the insert or replaceable kind. You either get good at sharpening them or toss them and buy a new set but you don't worry about blades breaking or falling out.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_48015_450002000_450000000_450002000_450-2-0

Like most things, there is cheap, there is mid range very servicable and there is overpriced and name driven.

Muzzy is probably the best known, affordable and serviceable out there. They are the standard.

That said, look around at Cabela's and Bass Pro and think about what you want to spend and what you want to get out of them. I don't like the expandables just because you have to do something besides knock and shoot.

That's why I went with the Montecs. Just screw em on the arrow and shoot. No replacing blades (they cut ya!), no setting the expanders. But you need to decide and you may need to buy a few sets before you settle on a brand or type. Your bow and your ability will also help you decide. if you can't hit the practice target you may need to move around in brand. And yes....you do need to waste some broadheads shooting them. You need to know where they are going to hit. Then switch back to field tips.

So please explain to me why there is different grains and what I need to buy. I have some older broadheads, and I might just use them at first. Man, those brand new broadheads are HIGH!!!

I would try some different weighted field points (90gr, 100gr, 125gr) and see how/if it affects the flight of your arrow. The more mass on the end of the arrow, the more it will resist initial flight (object at rest, tends to stay at rest...) and will cause the arrow to "flex" more when the sting is released. That mass will also tend to stay in motion once it is in motion, so a heavier broadhead should be harder to stop (by the deer). Also, as Rightwinger said, a heavier broadhead weighs the arrow down and will slow it down.

The size and weight of your flethings and arrow length are another consideration. Generally speaking, the balance point of the arrow should be 7%-10% (of the arrow length) forward of the actual center of the arrow. So, if you have a 30" arrow, it should balance about 3" (10%) forward of the middle. You can change the balance point by changing the weight of the broadhead. If the balance point is too far forward or too far aft, the arrow will not fly properly.

A sharp 80 or 90gr broadhead is plenty to use for deer hunting, but you want what works best with your arrow (that may be 100gr or more depending on the stiffness/length of the arrow). That's why I would shoot (and balance) some cheap field points of different weights, and decide what is the best weight. Then I would choose a broadhead of matching weight.

That's just the way I do it...

Edited by Batman
Guest sharpshooter01

When I shot a compound I used 75 gr.Rocket mini blaster's, they are an expandable. They were very deadly. It looked like you took buckets of blood and poured on the ground. I currently shoot a 145 gr. Eclipse single-bevel out of my longbow and have yet to get a shot with it. From what I have read they are awesome.

I use the Wasp Jak Hammer SST expandables. They are basically identical to the Rocket Steelhead expandables that Wal Mart has from time to time.

Muzzy 3 blades are probably the most popular broadhead around if you want a fixed head. I have always had good luck with the Thunderheads too.

Not all broadheads are created equal. I have had cheap ones come apart leaving blades in the deer. I have had cheap expandables perform horridly. Just go with a popular head that your bow shoots well.

Guest Muttling

I shoot the Wasp Jack Hammers as well. I don't know that they're the best, but they've always done well for me.

I know a couple of guys who shoot recurves and they prefer fixed blade as they cut going in and have better penetration.

I shoot the Wasp Jack Hammers as well. I don't know that they're the best, but they've always done well for me.

I know a couple of guys who shoot recurves and they prefer fixed blade as they cut going in and have better penetration.

Just a quick testament to the Jak-Hammers. 2 years ago I shot a 3 year old 8 point buck during early bow season at 42 yards. He was broadside and it was a tough shot between two trees. When I shot I heard a loud SMACK! I figured I hit one of the trees. The buck turned and ran hard about 20 yards, stopped, stood there for a minute or so and fell over dead. I had hit a rib dead center. The Jak-Hammer busted the rib and got to both lungs. The arrow did not exit the far side, but the deed was done. I am shooting a 63 pound bow with a 27 inch arrow. Technically I am on the very bottom of "acceptable" kinetic energy needed for shooting mechanicals in the first place. YMMV

Guest walkingdeadman
Just a quick testament to the Jak-Hammers. 2 years ago I shot a 3 year old 8 point buck during early bow season at 42 yards. He was broadside and it was a tough shot between two trees. When I shot I heard a loud SMACK! I figured I hit one of the trees. The buck turned and ran hard about 20 yards, stopped, stood there for a minute or so and fell over dead. I had hit a rib dead center. The Jak-Hammer busted the rib and got to both lungs. The arrow did not exit the far side, but the deed was done. I am shooting a 63 pound bow with a 27 inch arrow. Technically I am on the very bottom of "acceptable" kinetic energy needed for shooting mechanicals in the first place. YMMV

This worries me, I am shooting at 53 pounds with a 28 inch arrow. My poundage is so low because of horrible arthritis. Will I be ok while hunting. I am shots now to help with the pain, maybe after while I can up my poundage. Is there a minimun at which I should be shooting at?

at that weight you should consider sticking with a fixed blade head. That is plenty of weight to kill deer easily. There is just a lot of talk about needing minimum energy to use expandables. I do not know how true it is, but it does make sense to me.

If I were you I would look hard for a cut on contact head like the Montec G5. Check out what the traditional long bow shooters use. The Magnus Stinger 2 blades have always been popular with lower poundage shooters. Uncle Ted uses the Magnus and kills lots of animals all over the world with them.

at that weight you should consider sticking with a fixed blade head. That is plenty of weight to kill deer easily. There is just a lot of talk about needing minimum energy to use expandables. I do not know how true it is, but it does make sense to me.

If I were you I would look hard for a cut on contact head like the Montec G5. Check out what the traditional long bow shooters use. The Magnus Stinger 2 blades have always been popular with lower poundage shooters. Uncle Ted uses the Magnus and kills lots of animals all over the world with them.

I have considered trying out some of those Montec G5's. One piece, all steel, cut-on-contact, and they look really cool. :) I have more than enough Muzzy 100's that have always worked, and that's the only reason I haven't tryed them out myself.

Benfield, I hunted with a 55 pound bow for years. I wouldn't try to up the poundage if it's uncomfortable because you've got enough draw weight to kill a deer.