Is a Taser gun deadly force

Guest m&pc9

Guest m&pc9

If some one came at you with a taser gun to rob you, could you use deadly force. I know situations are different, if you are 70 you could probably get away with it. But how about someone 25, Could they convince the jury the were in fear for their life?

My thought is that once they tase you they could kick your head in and kill you much easier. Or if its the one with the darts they could keep taseing you till you are dead.

I dont know alot about a tasers except the LEO uses them because they are less than lethal.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If some one came at you with a taser gun to rob you, could you use deadly force. I know situations are different, if you are 70 you could probably get away with it. But how about someone 25, Could they convince the jury the were in fear for their life?

My thought is that once they tase you they could kick your head in and kill you much easier. Or if its the one with the darts they could keep taseing you till you are dead.

I dont know alot about a tasers except the LEO uses them because they are less than lethal.

If they know you have a gun then you are very in deadly danger. It's just like someone pointing a gun at you. You don't know if they are going to use it, but it's assumed that if someone points one at you, they are willing to pull the trigger. With a taser you never know if they are going to come up to you after you've been hit and start kicking you. If someone were to point a taser at me (not a cop), I would have probably feel that my life is being threatened.

But good news! You'll probably never ever run into a BG with a taser. Why use a weapon that allows people to ID you after you hit them with it? Not to mention that a gun on the street is much cheaper than a black market taser.

Matthew

Guest Muttling

I don't think a taser would qualify as lethal, but I think it would qualify as bodily harm since it can render you uncontious.

The standard in Tennessee is that you are justified to go with lethal force if you have a reasonable fear of death or bodily harm.

This is my understanding and I'm not all that up on the laws. I hope someone else who is better informed will chime in to say that I'm on target or off target.

Guest canynracer

Well, what else would one taze another for? (not LEO)...same with Pepper Spray...they are use to incapacitate the recipient.

the question is, how is it POSSIBLE for you to respond? you are being tazed, there is no way you will be able to draw.

Guest m&pc9
Well, what else would one taze another for? (not LEO)...same with Pepper Spray...they are use to incapacitate the recipient.

the question is, how is it POSSIBLE for you to respond? you are being tazed, there is no way you will be able to draw.

You have to be quicker. Draw and shoot before being tased.

Guest Muttling
Sheriff: Jacob Shaffer bought stun guns the afternoon before killing spree - Breaking News from The Huntsville Times - al.com

Answer: I would conclude lethal action in self defense is appropriate if someone pulled a taser on you. . . .especially after hearing about this rampage (click link) in our own backyard.

I think your justification in shooting the attacker goes to knowledge of intent. I think it would be a stretch to say "He pulled a tazer so I was sure he was going to taze me then stab me and I feared for my life."

HOWEVE, I think you could easily argue that "He pulled a tazer so I feared he was going to render me uncontious....I used lethal force to prevent him from doing that."

It's a fear of death vs a fear of bodily harm argument. If you are in fear of either one, you are justified in using lethal force to protect yourself. Why try to make the more difficult argument when it really doesn't buy you anything?

Another VERY important point to make, you're never justified in killing an attacker. I'm justified in using lethal force to stop an attacker who threatens death or bodily harm. If they die as a result of my use of lethal forcee....oh well, crap happens.......but my only intent was to prevent them from harming me.

Trying to kill vs using lethal force to stop are very different things in the eyes of the law.

Another VERY important point to make, you're never justified in killing an attacker. I'm justified in using lethal force to stop an attacker who threatens death or bodily harm. If they die as a result of my use of lethal forcee....oh well, crap happens.......but my only intent was to prevent them from harming me.

Trying to kill vs using lethal force to stop are very different things in the eyes of the law.

Good clarification...

On another note......has anyone ever been rendered uncouncious by a taser?

Guest Muttling
Good clarification...

On another note......has anyone ever been rendered uncouncious by a taser?

Good point. Incapacitated may be a better word.

I would testify that I feared the BG was going to incapacitate me with the taser then take my weapon and possibly do me great bodily harm or others great bodily harm.

For LEOs in uniform, that statement would be acceptable. For conceal holders, how did the person with the taser know in advance that you had a gun?

For LEOs in uniform, that statement would be acceptable. For conceal holders, how did the person with the taser know in advance that you had a gun?

We don't have concealed weapons permits, we have handgun permits. That being said, I do keep mine concealed but how do I know he didn't spot it sometime? Just my .02$ :) Cheers.

I would testify that I feared the BG was going to incapacitate me with the taser then take my weapon and possibly do me great bodily harm or others great bodily harm.

True...

Also..it's not only what you testify to, but what the 12 people who are listening to your testimony believe.