Rimfire Scope Help

Kelemvor

Dudes,

I recently mounted a Bushnell 3-9x32mm rimfire scope on my Marlin 60. It is a fine scope and is very clear and adjusts nicely. The rings that it came with to mount it on the grooved receiver of the Marlin are garbage. Despite my cranking down fairly hard on the mounting screws, the scope still scoots backward a fraction of a millimeter when I fire hyper velocity ammunition. After a few tubes of this ammo, the back mount is completely off the receiver.

Is there a way to correct this, or should I get another set of rings? If I need new rings, what would you guys recommend? [Remember this is for a grooved receiver.]

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't there something cheap can do, like put neat little strips of inner tube or something around the scope barrel?

$30 for rings on a $150 rifle seems kinda pricey.

- OS

I think the issue is the entire scope, with the rings, moving backwards. Though I agree, there's probably a cheaper solution than new rings. Could you take a fine file and rough up the mounts where they clamp onto the receiver, so they might grab better?

You might want to remove and clean the groves in the receiver and the scope rings with a de greaser. I, too, have a Marlin 60 with a cheap Tasco scope installed. I think I used cheap weaver rings. I've put about a thousand rounds through mine and the scope has not moved.

oldogy

Guest louderthebetter

You want cheap,I got cheap for you..Years ago I read an article in Guns and Ammo or

some magazine where some guy was asking the same question.This is what they told him...Make sure the scope and rings are oil free.(now this is the cheap part) Wet your finger with spit and get the scope and mount wet.Take some fine sand and put it on the scope and inside the rings.Position scope in rings and tighten.The sand will cut into the softer metal and lock it in place..

I never tried it,I just read it.

• 2 weeks later...

The prob;lem is with the fit between the bottom of the dovetail mount and the dovetail itself, the maching on the dovetail mount of the rings ios off.

tighten them till you borst blood vessels in your eyes, but if the dovetail mount will only close to 7/16 on a 3/8 dovetail groove, it wont work. take the rings apart, and file a small portion of the metal where the dovetail tightens atthe screw together. this will fix your problem

$30 rings on a $150 rifle is pricey? I have $30-50 rings on all of my .22s. I have a $350 scope on a $150 rifle and a $700 scope on a $250 rifle! put your money into the optics guy. If the rifle can shoot anywhere near decent groups, you have enough rifle, you need to sink your bucks into the optics and that includes good rings and mounts.

In your case, you have a good rifle and a really nice scope, breakdown and buy some decent rings for it!

Edited by wjh2657