You requirements for a gun

List your top 5 requirements for any gun you own in order of importance to you:

For me:

1) Accurate

2) Cost of ammo

3) Fun to shoot

4) Reliable

5) Ease of cleaning

My initial list had fun at the top, but then I thought that there are plenty of fun guns I wouldn't buy because I couldn't afford to shoot them. Accuracy is really important to me. Even though I am not a crack shot, I like the challenge, and that is really most of the fun for me. I put reliability fourth because although I want all my guns to function flawlessly, if they don't, then they don't accomplish number 3 either. The first 4 on the list are musts for more me, especially the first 3. The 5th I can live with, but I don't like taking ARs to the range, and find I leave mine at home more than not because of number 5.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In no particular order and I had six

1. Size/weight- I like a compact with full size capacity ala CZ P07/Glock19

2. Reliable

3. SA or striker fired

4. Grip/ergos

5. low bore axis.

6. 9mm - when I have money 357 SIG!

Edited by Smith
Guest HexHead

Reliability

accuracy

ease of carry

ease of field stripping. (I've sold guns simply because they were a PITA to break down)

Edited by HexHead

looks

accuracy

reliability

how it feels/ergonomics

serves it intended purpose well, whether it be CCW, hunting, range gun, CQB, precision long range, etc.

the rest doesnt matter really. ease of cleaning, i dont shoot a whole lot and when i do i enjoy spending time handling my guns. cost of ammo, while it matters i wont choose one gun over another because all ammo is affordable until you get to mid-high caliber centerfire rifles, and i wouldnt shoot them that much., reloading is a wonderful thing :)

and these are in no order as they all have about the same weight

Guest Muttling

In order of importance to me:

1 - Reliability

2 - Efficeincy in the job I'm buying for (my CCW isn't bird gun and vice versa). This covers everything from caliber to weight to....

3 - Ergonomics

4 - Availability of accessories that interest me.

it's cool to see so many different things that can go on this list. Two I would add to mine just from reading responses would be stopping power, and historical significance. I'd not given much thought to it, but I do gravitate toward guns with stopping power (.45s and 7.62x54s) and historical significance (milsurps and 1911s).

Stopping power is putting the bullet where it's supposed to go, statistically speaking.:)

yet, I doubt that one's level of shooting skill skyrockets with certain calibers, so then it is a question of once the round goes where it is going, what is the effect.

yet, I doubt that one's level of shooting skill skyrockets with certain calibers, so then it is a question of once the round goes where it is going, what is the effect.

.... and you'd be wrong.

This heading towards another caliber debate but once again let's let the fact get in the way: one stop with ball .45 - 63%, 9mm - 61%. Top JHP loads .45 - 92%, 9mm - 89%.

but you keep living in Jeff Coopers imaginary land where .45 ball ammo is 91% effective (he believed it was).

Please read this with a smile on my face. I have no problem with either. It's all in good fun.:)

For me:

• reliability first and foremost - must be abel to fire reliably regardless of circumstances
  • availability of ammo
  • accuracy

Nothing else matters. Explains why my two primary carry guns are a G27 and G22...

.... and you'd be wrong.

This heading towards another caliber debate but once again let's let the fact get in the way: one stop with ball .45 - 63%, 9mm - 61%. Top JHP loads .45 - 92%, 9mm - 89%.

but you keep living in Jeff Coopers imaginary land where .45 ball ammo is 91% effective (he believed it was).

Please read this with a smile on my face. I have no problem with either. It's all in good fun.:D

Well that certainly skews the arguments against higher cap 9mm guns. However, there is still a difference, which can easily be seen if you look at the ends of the spectrum. A .25ACP is not going to be as effective as a .50AE, nor is a .22LR going to be as effective .50BMG.

.... and you'd be wrong.

Please read this with a smile on my face. I have no problem with either. It's all in good fun.:D

Well that certainly skews the arguments against higher cap 9mm guns. However, there is still a difference, which can easily be seen if you look at the ends of the spectrum. A .25ACP is not going to be as effective as a .50AE, nor is a .22LR going to be as effective .50BMG.

Guest louderthebetter

To me a gun must fire first time and every time I pull the trigger and shoot straight.

I had much rather have a magazine of .22's bouncing around in some bg's noggin like

marbles in an empty can than worry bout comfort ,easy of cleaning , caliber and all

that other stuff.

No matter what you shoot,Above all,it must be realiable and accurate.If it's not

then its just high dollar scrap iron if push comes to shove.

Just my $.02

I don't buy "new to the market" guns. A gun has been around, abused and used by many owners before I will consider the model. I also work on my own guns and maintenance rates high with me. I consider regular maintenance and inspection as part of the "reliability" factor.

1) Accurate

2) Reliable

3) Proven track record over several decades

4) Ease of routine maintenance

5) Ease of cleaning

All of the above is probably why I am a S&W revolver, Marlin 60 and Mossberg 500 man.

Edited by wjh2657