Mounting Squirrels

Well, squirrel season opens tomorrow, and anyone who wishes to brave to heat and bugs, I hope you all have a safe and productive hunt. I'll be in the woods before daylight with grandsons in tow. They cleaned up their little .410s (under the watchfull eye of an adult) and are ready to go. I would love nothing more than to see them get their first "Nut Muncher" (squirrel). Which brings me to the point of this whole post.

Every year, hunters harvest their first squirrels, or an unusual one. Whether it be black, albino, bright red or just plain old gray. Squirrels are probably the most mounted small animal there is. But, to get the best mount you can get, there are a few simple rules we must follow.

If you harvest a squirrel that you wish to have mounted, do not "gut" the squirrel. Leave his inards intact and get him on ice or cooled as quickly as possible. When you get him home, wrap him in a plastic bag, squeeze out all the air from the bag and place him in the freezer. Get him to your Taxidermist as soon as possible. Those wishing to learn Taxidermy can do an internet search and find some really nice "kits" to help you along.

Just remember, every mount, whether from the smallest to largest animal, must be handled with care, if you wish to recieve a quality mount back.

I really hope these little tips will help you enjoy your time in the field even more.

Dave

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Guys... let's keep this thread on track. I admit, I got a chuckle as well when I read the thread title, but the author of the thread clearly intended to share valuable information about preserving your trophies and we all need to respect that.

Guest Fenris

WD, what's a fair price to pay for a taxidermic mount of a squirrel? I hope to take my daughter this fall, and I doubt she will get her first one (she's 4, she'll be tagging along) I'm curious as to the cost.

Thanks

Actually, the term "Mounted" is indeed a correct term. How would you like it to read? As far as going rate, I would guess in the neighborhood of $75 to $100. OK...do we "mount" a deer head, or "stuff" it? That is the question for the day! LOL

Edited by wd-40
Guest 70below

This thread reminds me too much of super troopers, it was a larger mount though.

Thats good advice on freezing the squirrel, I'm afraid I'd butcher the hide and it would cost me much more or be unable to be mounted in the end.

This thread reminds me too much of super troopers, it was a larger mount though.

Thats good advice on freezing the squirrel, I'm afraid I'd butcher the hide and it would cost me much more or be unable to be mounted in the end.

True. It's important to make sure it can be mounted it in the end.

If I get a big or different squirrel this year, I might have it mounted (I won't attempt doing it myself).

If I get a big or different squirrel this year, I might have it mounted (I won't attempt doing it myself).

While it would be more satisfying to mount it yourself, it is probably best left to a professional.

OK...do we "mount" a deer head, or "stuff" it? That is the question for the day!

I am guess that you mount a deer head. I have seen the molds and there ain't no stuffing in there.

Opening day of squirrel season and the "mods" of the hunting forum are out, doing what we do best and David has to step in and get things under control.

Shame on you guys.

As far as I know the term "mount" is correct, so no need in looking to re-phrase it.

wd-40, thanks for sharing this info. I have often thought about mounting a squirrel before. My uncle has an albino squirrel and a black squrirrel mounted, and they look awesome. My when my little girl gets big enough to go, we will mount her first squirrel....shoot, while at Bass Pro today she begged me to take her over to the guns and let her see the pink gun I promised her (pink cricket). The fella there even let us hold it and check it out, so we might be getting close, LOL.

Thanks again wd-40 for the info.

Guest walkingdeadman
Opening day of squirrel season and the "mods" of the hunting forum are out, doing what we do best and David has to step in and get things under control.

Shame on you guys.

As far as I know the term "mount" is correct, so no need in looking to re-phrase it.

wd-40, thanks for sharing this info. I have often thought about mounting a squirrel before. My uncle has an albino squirrel and a black squrirrel mounted, and they look awesome. My when my little girl gets big enough to go, we will mount her first squirrel....shoot, while at Bass Pro today she begged me to take her over to the guns and let her see the pink gun I promised her (pink cricket). The fella there even let us hold it and check it out, so we might be getting close, LOL.

Thanks again wd-40 for the info.

awww...lil d r is growing up.