Encounter at Piggly Wiggly

Guest crotalus01

Sounded like a positive situation on both sides to me. If I did OC then I should not expect to be offended when people ask me if I have a permit to carry....that seems logical.

I personally would want to know if a guy OC'ing was legit if they waltzed into my workplace. No foul here at all. Very good outcome. more people should do this IMHO

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was really glad to read how this all played out. Being how sketchy parts of Memphis are, showing my ID to prove I can legally carry, means someone will be asked also who DOESN'T have their HCP and they could face criminal actions.

+1 Not only is it a great chance to display how polite and responsible permit holders tend to be, but it would definitely make me feel more secure knowing that someone carrying without a permit would be busted. Could possibly be some thug who saw you carrying one night and decided that "hey, nobody hassled him so I'll wear one in the store and no one will notice till I point it at the clerk." If he instead sees you questioned by a polite security guard, chances are he knows you are a good guy and he best move on if he considers pulling a stunt like that.

I like to use mine when I'm carded for beer in restaurants. Especially in restaurants that have a "NO GUNS" sign posted.

Never thought of this but that's a great idea! Of course, the natural next question is whether you're "packin", but a great way to get the message out there that they should support law abiding permit holders instead of alienating us.

This is my new protocol - should I break down and patronize a place that posts.

I agree with most of the above posters. Proffesionally handed by the Security Guard an politely handled by the gun owner. You can't ask for a better outcome. Thank you for being mature, responsible and a good ambassador for the gun rights community. I might send a letter to the manager to let him know how much you appreciate his polite and professional security guard.

TK47

Guest TN_Mike
I went to the local Piggly Wiggly in Midtown Memphis last night to pick up a few things. For those who have never been to this location, it has a heavy population of sketchy characters, downright scum, and tons of bums panhandling at the doors and in the parking lot. I have found that OCing my Glock makes my shopping experience much more hassle free, and have never had an issue there.

I went in, got a basket and was browsing an aisle when a security guard approached me - he said "Excuse me, sir, I don't want to bother you but you have to have a permit to carry that in the store. I need to see your permit please."

I briefly considered informing him that he had no right to see my permit since he was not LEO, but as he was very polite and friendly about the whole thing I decided to try and be an ambasador for OC and took the high road, pulled out my permit and showed it to him. He barely even glanced at it and said "Thank you very much sir, now if someone complains to the manager he will already be informed you are good to go".

Honestly, I have mixed feelings about this encounter as the guard really had no right to ask for my permit; however, it all turned out good, I was not asked to leave the store and the whole thing took all of a minute of my time. I guess overall I would rate this as a good encounter.

Would any of you have handled this differently?

I think you handled it perfectly croat. Very well done and I honestly think I would have done the same.

By the way, I know the store you are talking about and I think you are quite brave shopping there at that time of night.

Again, well done.

Guest Phantom6
I use mine when I check in for flights at the airport. However, it seems that I always get extra screening at the checkpoint!

WTF? :D

You're just in it for the cavity searches aren't you? :)

Guest crotalus01

Understand your decision, but I am not 100% sure that the guard acted under managements request or on his own. I went to the same store again today, different security guard wearing a necklace badge and no firearm, walked right past him with my gun on my hip, he looked right at it, looked at me and continued to lean against the wall. I know he saw my gun as he looked right at it. No reaction whatsoever. Perhaps the other guard was just being proactive? I have shopped at this store multiple times OCing and that last encounter was the only time I have ever been asked for my HCP - makes me wonder if perhaps that particular guard was a moonlighting cop...

Understand your decision, but I am not 100% sure that the guard acted under managements request or on his own. I went to the same store again today, different security guard wearing a necklace badge and no firearm, walked right past him with my gun on my hip, he looked right at it, looked at me and continued to lean against the wall. I know he saw my gun as he looked right at it. No reaction whatsoever. Perhaps the other guard was just being proactive? I have shopped at this store multiple times OCing and that last encounter was the only time I have ever been asked for my HCP - makes me wonder if perhaps that particular guard was a moonlighting cop...

That or they got a big ole picture of you up in the break room with the caption, of Gun Toter with HCP above it!

While he has no legal right to ask you to see your permit, he is working for a company that has a legal right to prohibit you from carrying there if they so desire.

You took the path of least resistance, which I think was smart given your options of either complying or being forced to leave.

Ditto.
  • 2 weeks later...

sounded like both of you acted professionally... all is well!

It seems perfectly reasonable for store security or a store manager to request your permit, whether he has an actual right to or not. We should make it easy for stores, etc to allow our permitted guns. The alternative, I suppose, is that they call a cop to check for them, which will make for a much more cumbersome and embarrassing experience.

All the more reason to keep concealed, in my opinion.

Guest Muttling

I would take it as a very good experience and it sounds to me like it an HCP supporting store.

On a side note, he has no legal authority to require you to show a permit BUT he does have the authority to ask you to leave the store because you're carrying (even if you have a permit.)

Sounds like it was a good deal overall. I do hospital campus security and we run into this alot when we are asking for people's ID on suspicious person calls,etc.

I've only had a few incidents where I dealt with someone with a gun and they all had permits. I've always politely asked and it's never been an issue.

The only time it was an issue was a kid came in drunk, carrying, and threatening to kill a nurse. He had an HCP and was carrying a Kel-Tec. I relieved him of both. :D

Sounds like it was a good deal overall. I do hospital campus security and we run into this alot when we are asking for people's ID on suspicious person calls,etc.

I've only had a few incidents where I dealt with someone with a gun and they all had permits. I've always politely asked and it's never been an issue.

The only time it was an issue was a kid came in drunk, carrying, and threatening to kill a nurse. He had an HCP and was carrying a Kel-Tec. I relieved him of both. :D

I was parked in the circle drive at a hospital and the security guy came out and asked me if I was carrying.....I said why of course. He said good or something like that. He was carrying a purse for some reason.

Guest clownsdd
i think it's sad that any city, which is majority black such as memphis, needs to go through such lengths to protect people. if i was white i would just move away, it's not worth it to have to deal with it all.

I think it's sad that someone would have such a bigoted opinion. I live in Memphis and wouldn't swap it for Nashville or any other place in TN. (not intending to offend anyone or offend all equally, take it how you want) Memphis is "home". If you won't fight for your home and run away, what does that say about you? My neighbors, black, white, "other" all get along well and look out for each other. No problems in our "hood"

Memphis has it's problems, difference 'tween us and the rest of the state is that we admit it.

Guest Battzglock

OP...handled expertly IMO.

No reason to be an ass if not warranted.

I'd have done the same thing. Also, as you shop there you will go back right? Nothing wrong with having met the SG....who has a right to act on behalf of the owner of the property....who can now lok at you next time and know you to be a reasonable person.

Very unlikely you will ever get asked that ? again.....not by that guy anyhow. Well done I say.