What would you say in court?

Guest AmericanWorkMule

Guest AmericanWorkMule

We have a scenario we've discussed at work and I wanted your opinions.

Pretend you are a plaintiff in a courtroom on the witness stand during a trial that has nothing to do with you involving hand guns, or gun ownership, like a Workers Compensation case. The opposing attorney, you feel, wants to paint you as a bad guy by bringing up that you have a HCP.

What would your response be as to why you have a HCP, or probably in an attorney's words, "Why do feel you need to carry a gun? Are you looking for trouble, or something?"

was2178843.h2.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj

First I would hope that my attorney would raise an objection regarding relevance, then when overruled (gave me time to think) I would say as a law abiding citizen that respects the laws of this state, went through the legal requirements to obtain my permit in order to protect myself in a time that crime is rampant and happens everywhere. That God forbid I have to use it to protect my wife, protect my children, and myself, but I want to be able to have the ability to do so, if the need were to arise.

Or something like that, and if I couldn't get something like that out in the questioning, I would make sure (probably wouldn't have to, your attorney would anyway) to better explain it during cross examination.

or, I would scream, I live in Memphis.

Guest AmericanWorkMule

db99wj,

Thats what I was wanting to say in so many words. I just ain't so eloquent.

To me, a HCP is pretty much (supposed to be anyway) legal proof you are a good citizen. In order to obtain one you go through a background check (supposed to anyway) proving you haven't been into any serious trouble.

OP said:

What would your response be as to why you have a <ACRONYM title="Handgun Carry Permit">HCP</ACRONYM>, or probably in an attorney's words, "Why do feel you need to carry a gun? Are you looking for trouble, or something?"

In a pleasant and positive tone of voice I'd say "I certainly don't look for trouble but I do read the paper and watch TV. With all the reports of armed robberies, assaults, car jackings and home invasions it seems to me that people need to protect themselves now, more than ever. I wear a seatbelt when I drive, and did so before it was required, for the same reason. I wear sunscreen when spending time outdoors, look both ways before crossing the street and see my Doctor regularly to protect myself from harm. The more harmful the threat, the more serious the method of protection required."

First I would hope that my attorney would raise an objection regarding relevance, then when overruled (gave me time to think) I would say as a law abiding citizen that respects the laws of this state, went through the legal requirements to obtain my permit in order to protect myself in a time that crime is rampant and happens everywhere. That God forbid I have to use it to protect my wife, protect my children, and myself, but I want to be able to have the ability to do so, if the need were to arise.

Or something like that, and if I couldn't get something like that out in the questioning, I would make sure (probably wouldn't have to, your attorney would anyway) to better explain it during cross examination.

or, I would scream, I live in Memphis.

I feel the same way - good answer. Promoting personal responsibility for the use of a firearm, and the legal means to have and carry, are always great ammo for those that would attempt to nitpick or start an argument.

Guest H0TSH0T

i would smile, and tell him i was born with it, and look down, smile again and tell him he has nothing to worry about, that unlike him i am responsible with what i do with it.

but seriously i would tell him i have a fire alarm and an extinguisher too, but you don't see me starting any fires do ya, but in the rare event that i need it, it will be there to do what it was intended to do, keep me alive and unharmed, and possibly save someone else that may be in harms way.

Edited by H0TSH0T
Guest mn32768

Question: "Why do feel you need to carry a gun? Are you looking for trouble, or something?"

(Assuming my attorney was asleep and did not object)

Answer: "I feel the need to carry a gun because dragging it on the ground would be just silly. And given the options of 'looking for trouble' or 'something', I'll pick the latter. Now, sir, if you've got a question that's relevant to the case, I'll be happy to give you a relevant answer."

OP said:

What would your response be as to why you have a <ACRONYM title="Handgun Carry Permit">HCP</ACRONYM>, or probably in an attorney's words, "Why do feel you need to carry a gun? Are you looking for trouble, or something?"

In a pleasant and positive tone of voice I'd say "I certainly don't look for trouble but I do read the paper and watch TV. With all the reports of armed robberies, assaults, car jackings and home invasions it seems to me that people need to protect themselves now, more than ever. I wear a seatbelt when I drive, and did so before it was required, for the same reason. I wear sunscreen when spending time outdoors, look both ways before crossing the street and see my Doctor regularly to protect myself from harm. The more harmful the threat, the more serious the method of protection required."

This sir is a good answer!!

OP said:

What would your response be as to why you have a <acronym title="Handgun Carry Permit">HCP</acronym>, or probably in an attorney's words, "Why do feel you need to carry a gun? Are you looking for trouble, or something?"

That's a damn good answer PapaB. I couldn't have said it better (or for that matter, that well) myself.

Guest Ghostrider

"Are you looking for trouble or something?"

Smart assed me - No, if I was looking for trouble I'd have brought the AK and the 12 Ga.; shatbreath...

Guest CrazyLincoln

"Why do feel you need to carry a gun? Are you looking for trouble, or something?"

I have an HCP for the same reason I have a driver's license. Both are required by law to use a potentially dangerous tool in a public setting. Are you implying I have a driver's license so I may drive recklessly and cause traffic accidents?

Guest justme

I would ask what having a HCP has to do with the current business before the court....

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Guest db99wj
I would ask what having a HCP has to do with the current business before the court....

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

The attorney would say to "establish character of the victim, witness, etc" and if the judge agrees, then what would you say?

Why do I carry a gun?... As others have said, I am not looking for trouble, I just want to be prepared if trouble finds me. In my opinion it is no different than a fire extingusher in your house or a spare tire in your car. It simply called being prepared.

Why do I have a HCP?...Because in TN is is the only legal way for me to carry a handgun of my property.

Guest Muttling
We have a scenario we've discussed at work and I wanted your opinions.

Pretend you are a plaintiff in a courtroom on the witness stand during a trial that has nothing to do with you involving hand guns, or gun ownership, like a Workers Compensation case. The opposing attorney, you feel, wants to paint you as a bad guy by bringing up that you have a HCP.

What would your response be as to why you have a HCP, or probably in an attorney's words, "Why do feel you need to carry a gun? Are you looking for trouble, or something?"

was2178843.h2.jpg

I would be a smart witnes and look to my attorney instead of answering, giving him time to object on the grounds of relevance.

He wouldn't necessarily know that you carry a gun just because you have a HCP.

You could say something like, "Sir, having an HCP gives me more flexibility in how I can transport my pistol to the range." :rolleyes:

or...

"Sometimes I hunt with a handgun when it is legal to do so, and having a HCP makes it easier to transport it to the field." Once again... :rolleyes:

Edited by Batman
Guest AmericanWorkMule

I was going to mention if you are up there on the stand giving snarky answers to their cheeky questions it is you that looks bad or gets into trouble, not the attorney. It is their job to get you off base and foul up.

snarky? cheeky? are those real words? :-)

Guest dlstewart01

I am legally authorized by the state on Tennessee to carry a firearm to defend my self and family against unlawful attacks from criminals and what is your defense from an ambulance backing over you???