Psych test for HCP's In Tn

Guest Bluemax

Guest Bluemax

Hey Guys,

My better half just attended an ABC class in Pigeon Forge. The trainer spent about an hour explaining the new laws but one thing he mentioned is that, starting in July, you have to take a psych test as part of your Carry Permit. She called me at thir break and I told her that he was wrong..any body heard anything about this ?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys,

My better half just attended an ABC class in Pigeon Forge. The trainer spent about an hour explaining the new laws but one thing he mentioned is that, starting in July, you have to take a psych test as part of your Carry Permit. She called me at thir break and I told her that he was wrong..any body heard anything about this ?

Evidently the trainer needs to be the one taking the pysc test as that is not a requirement. This is what's most frustrating. Even the people who are teaching the class can't get the law right.

Matthew

Guest Bluemax
Evidently the trainer needs to be the one taking the pysc test as that is not a requirement. This is what's most frustrating. Even the people who are teaching the class can't get the law right.

Matthew

Thanks, when she called me I told her he was full of it and kinda got my jollies when she told me to hang on and told the whole class that I said he was full of s#$t :rolleyes:

Guest AmericanWorkMule

a quick Google, but who knows

Psychological Testing and Firearm Permits

The article, “An Empirical Survey of Psychological Testing and the Use of the Term Psychological: Turf Battles or Clinical Necessity?â€

(Dattilio, Frank M.; Tresco, Katy E.; Siegel, Alex Professional Psychology: Research and Practice. 2007 Dec Vol 38(6) 682-689) includes the apparently erroneous statement:

“Most states in the United States will only issue a permit to carry a firearm to individuals who undergo psychological testing by a licensed psychologist and are approved.â€

When I asked Dr. Datillio via email to cite a statute supporting this statement, he provided only a Pennsylvania statute requiring the applicant to undergo such an evaluation in order to obtain a permit to carry a concealed handgun for (non law enforcement) work. According to the National Rifle Association 48 states issue permits for concealed carry of handguns to ordinary citizens, and none of them requires psychological evaluation. An Internet search appeared to confirm this. ....... The state of Massachusetts allows a physician (not a psychologist) to restore the right of permit.

The state of Mississippi allows a psychiatrist (not a psychologist) to restore the right of permit when the individual

BehaveNet® Opinion

Those psych tests are crap anyway. When I was in the Army, you had to take a 600+ question psych test for my job, and nutjobs still got in. I worked with a guy who thought Big Foot was real (the monster, not the truck), believed we were put here by aliens (the outer space kind, not the river crossing kind), and was afraid of all animals, though he never missed hunting season. :)

Hey Guys,

Get the name of the instructor and file a formal complaint. There is no law in the pipeline currently that would require (or even allow) a psych test as part of the permitting process.

If there is no psych test for running for TN political office or for obtaining a TN driver's license, there should be no psych test for the HCP. Obviously there are a lot of crazy politicians and crazy drivers, so the HCP should be no exception. Equal rights.

But cosmetologists and lawyers- now those people need to take a psych test. You have to be crazy to want to be be a cosmetologist or a lawyer; therefore only legally crazy people should be granted a cosmetology license or a law license. So far in TN I think the system is working in that regard. I have never met a sane lawyer or cosmetologist. (I do not mean to demean TN cosmetologists, but this is just how it is, IMHO)

Now, about that other matter: Bigfoot is, of course, (duh!) Real- those who claim otherwise are obviously mentally ill and should be denied a TN HCP.

Trust me, I know. Bigfoot speaks to Me Personally. But you have to be chosen by Him to receive His divine messages.

But you can be Chosen for a small donation. How? If you Truly Believe, I have a convenient PrayPal account that will allow you to donate in order to be personally blessed by our one and only True Bigfoot Prophet. To be Blessed, you simply donate to the First True Church of the Evangelical Bigfoot Gospel Holy Disciple Anointed Praypal Fellowship Brotherhood Congregation...

Or something like that.

Crazy.

Guest 3pugguy
Those psych tests are crap anyway. When I was in the Army, you had to take a 600+ question psych test for my job, and nutjobs still got in. I worked with a guy who thought Big Foot was real (the monster, not the truck), believed we were put here by aliens (the outer space kind, not the river crossing kind), and was afraid of all animals, though he never missed hunting season. ;)

Was it the The Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI or if after 1989, MMPI-II)? I took that one and it was full of REALLy wierd questions.

There are some mixed feelings about it, although widely used.

Guest 3pugguy
A nail. A board. And a grandmother on Obamacare.

Name something that is hammered, something that is sawed, and something that is screwed.

LOL..