PF-9 + Hornady CD = Great CCW Combo...

Guest CK1

i own and carry a kel-tec PF-9 sometimes when i can't carry my usual full size glock and have to have the utmost in conceal-ability...

while i wish i could find something slightly better, 15 ounces fully loaded with 7+1 in 9mm, in a gun the size of a deck of cards isn't too bad, and by using their belt clip attachment iwb, or in tougher instances, an ankle holster, hiding it is a breeze...

that said, only issue really is the recoil, anyone who knows or has shot the PF-9 can attest that w/ most SD ammo, shooting it can be "interesting", actually it can kinda hurt! (i carry gold dot 124gr +P in my 9mm's...)

this morning, i put a couple boxes of the newer Hornady Critical Defense 9mm through it and the decrease in recoil impulse is very significant!

i also noticed the little kel-tec seemed far happier to cycle the filled-in tapered hollow point much smoother than the the rather stubby-nosed gold dots.

while the PF-9 isn't boring even with target FMJ, it's really not that bad, but i'm happy to report that the Hornady Critical Defense stuff felt equal to, or actually softer than the target stuff...

fantastic accuracy, and my follow up shots were quicker and easier than they ever have been before with this gun.

i'd recommend any PF-9 owners, or pocket 9 owners in general check it out, and to anyone who may have been put off by hearing of the recoil antics of the little 9, worry no more, while the +P gold dots will remain in my primary, this soft shooting SD round seems made for this little guys purpose in life.:D

Edited by CK1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

That's good to hear. I've read good reviews for Critical Defense, and bought a box. Not that I've ever really had any major issues with any particular brand of personal defense ammunition, I usually buy Hornady over anything else.

They seem to constantly come out with something new and different. Variety is the spice of life...

A nice gentleman let me shoot a mag full through his PF9 today. It jumped in my hand but I could fire again very quickly. The few times I've shot a lightweight J frame I had to adjust my grip beforeI could shoot again. I will be acquiring my HCP soon and plan on carrying my G19 most of the time. However there will be times when I will want a "pocket" gun and this may be it. I am curious if the 124 grain +p gold dots didn't cycle or if you just "felt" a difference. That is what I currently have in my Glock. And you may already know this but I read a review by Mousegunner that recommends not shooting the last round in the magazine because when it locks back after the last round it wears down the follower.

Edited by Kevo
typo
Guest Packaged Chaos

I borrowed a PF-9 to shoot at the Music City Tactical Shooters BUG Match and loved it. By the end of the match I was shooting it very well considering I had never shot the gun and it had only 8 rounds through it. The recoil did leave my hand sore for a little while but it was a lot of fun. My brother also used it in the match and liked it. It would be a great pocket gun and they are fairly inexpensive.

Kevo, mine runs just fine with the gold dots but it does feel "rougher" than with the hornady CD stuff for sure. As for not shooting the last round, mousegunner could be and probably is correct... but I shoot mine normally to slide-lock and nothing's sufferered yet through 1000rds or so, anyhow, one of the cool things about the PF-9 is that extra mags won't make you go broke (they're like $23 a pop compared to the $50+ mags for my old PPS the PF-9 replaced...).

As some of you guys said, the little guy can be a handful... this hornady CD stuff is worth a try, it's noticably softer shooting, I actually enjoyed shooting it and won't mind next time, I didn't feel that way with the stiffer kicking gold dots....

I've carried the Hornady CD in my G26 for about a month or so. Fantastic stuff....so far. ;)

I've bought and shot all the "hottest sh*t" on the market for my G19 and G26 (including the short barrel GoldDots). Personally, the Hornady 9MM 124GR HP/XTP or the 9MM 124GR TAP became my first choices depending on what was available....until the CD came out. I first I was hesitant about dropping to 115GR but the expansion properties are supposed to be slightly better with the CD plus you get a little more FPS. Not much but a little. So I figured I'd give them a shot. They shoot and feed perfect in my Glocks and so far they seem to put my mind at ease about carrying them....after all, it's Hornady ammo.