What to expect at HCP class.

Well me, my dad, my mom, my brother, and my buddy all just signed up for a HCP class next Saturday. I was just curious of what to expect. They told me about qualifying with 12 rounds @ 3 yards, 25 @ 7 yards and 12 @ 15 yards. But they didn't say what the qualifying rings were. And also would like to know how the class goes or any tips anyone might have.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest crotalus01

What to expect? A really really BORING and incompetantly made hour long video that is required viewing by the state of Tennessee - guaranteed snooze material especially if they turn the lights off.

Seriously, you will have no problems. We had 3 women in my class that were using rented guns who had never fired a gun before and they all passed. If you can hit the broad side of a barn at 10 paces you have no worries at all...

BTW, it's not just hitting the silhouette. You have to at least hit the 7 ring to count. However, if you can't do that WITHOUT practice, then you either have a gun with sights that are really far off, or you are the world's worst shot. Even the guy next to me with his tiny snub noise was able to get 100% of the shots within the 7 ring at 15 yards.

Oh yeah, and you only have to actually hit either 37 or 38 in the rings, so you have 10 free misses. Really, it's as easy as aim and fire.

Matthew

BTW, it's not just hitting the silhouette. You have to at least hit the 7 ring to count. However, if you can't do that WITHOUT practice, then you either have a gun with sights that are really far off, or you are the world's worst shot. Even the guy next to me with his tiny snub noise was able to get 100% of the shots within the 7 ring at 15 yards.

Oh yeah, and you only have to actually hit either 37 or 38 in the rings, so you have 10 free misses. Really, it's as easy as aim and fire.

Matthew

not in our class.. only silhouette misses counted against you. everything else was a hit.

Guest Muttling

The qualifying part of the class is a joke. If you can't qualify on the range for an HCP, your holding a weapon scares me!!!!!

The rest of the class IS boring, but there's a lot of legal stuff to learn so listen carefully to it all. HCP classes aren't trying to teach you how to shoot, they're trying to teaching when you can and can't shoot.

If you want to learn how to hit your target, you need to spend a lot more range time and to take other classes.

The qualifying part of the class is a joke. If you can't qualify on the range for an HCP, your holding a weapon scares me!!!!!

The rest of the class IS boring, but there's a lot of legal stuff to learn so listen carefully to it all. HCP classes aren't trying to teach you how to shoot, they're trying to teaching when you can and can't shoot.

If you want to learn how to hit your target, you need to spend a lot more range time and to take other classes.

I have no worries in hitting my target. I've been shooting for at least 20 years now and not to be cocky but believe i am a better than average marksman. I didn't learn on a range, I learned in the woods and on the farm with my dad and grandfather. So hitting the target is not an issue. I just wanted to know how the class worked is all.

Guest Muttling

You'll do fine my friend.....just yell "Don't kill me scumbag" instead of "Die scumbag".

You can't legally kill someone. You can shoot them to prevent them from killing you. If they die as a result, so be it....but you can't shoot them for the purposes of killing them....only shoot for the purpose of stopping them from killing you.

It sounds like splitting hairs, but if you do have to shoot it is THE most important issue. If your intent is to kill your attacker, you would keep shooting until he was dead (even shoot after he was unconcious.) If your intent is to stop or to eliminate the threat, then you only shoot until he stops. If he dies....so be it, but you didn't keep shooting after he dropped to the ground unconcious. BIG difference from a legal perspective.

Learning details such as this are what the class is really about.

Well me, my dad, my mom, my brother, and my buddy all just signed up for a HCP class next Saturday. I was just curious of what to expect. They told me about qualifying with 12 rounds @ 3 yards, 25 @ 7 yards and 12 @ 15 yards. But they didn't say what the qualifying rings were. And also would like to know how the class goes or any tips anyone might have.

Hitower - you have nothing to worry about...the qualifying portion is super easy (a little too easy, IMO).

and if you can't pass the written exam...well... :drool: you'll pass it, trust me.

as someone already said...the worst part of the whole thing is the ultra-cheesy video...and waiting for your permit to come in the mail...

Guest sigmaguy

Took mine Sunday. We shot 12 @3yds, 7yds and 15yds center mass. Then done 14 to the head @ 10 yds. I Was at the end of the line and I took about 75 shell casings to the dome.

Guest dizzielizzie

Bring popcorn & tissues for the state video. Tissues are for crying from bordeom...

I thought the class was the best thing I ever did and hope your Mom thinks so too!

As far as the exam...do we pick up a book at theh dmv or how we study for that?

You go to the class. They tell you everything you need to know. If you are not a good auditory learner then take notes. Try not to fall asleep during the movie.

As far as the exam...do we pick up a book at theh dmv or how we study for that?

no need to study...as long as you listen you'll be ok. honestly, I think you'd probably have to work at NOT passing the test.