CC people, do you ever OC?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think that the folks on here who have never OCed in piublic would be literally shocked at how few of the sheep either a) dont notice or :D dont care.

I think you're probably right. I've been OC'ing more lately and I think they just don't see it. Of course I'm typically wearing my PM 40 in an IWB holster. But still, it's out and in the open.

Guest Whiskers

CC 85% of time (100% of time traveling, where it's legal). Around the house OC when mowing, going to mail box, walking the dog, shooting, riding tractor. Incidentally, when I'm shooting, even though on my own property, I always have two guns with me.... and one of them is always loaded.

Last night I and the Ms were walking the dogs and I had my blackhawk .357 strapped on. As we passed a neighbor who just moved in about three weeks ago, I heard her son (about 5 yrs) whisper, "mom, he has a gun!" She called him to her side and they swiftly went into their house. I guess I could have told her that in the three years I've lived on this road I have seen one LEO drive through and inform her that the response time is about 25 minutes here. Another neighbor said she is a school teacher..... (I wonder if she is like the one in NJ...... hmmmm). Nobody else in the neighborhood seems to mind at all when when they see me OC'n.

It's worthy of note that I live on a dead end road. There are plenty of critters around..... rabid raccoons, bobcats, coyotes, foxes, and the occasional feral dog. No cell service.... Two years ago a neighbor's grandson riding a four wheeler was attacked by a doberman... duh, I don't know what happened to that dog... Several months ago during a 4 day period I lost 4 fully grown ducks, and a neighbor lost 17 exotic fowl to some sort of predator. So, most people in the neighborhood aren't surprised to see me and others walking around with guns.

I went to Montana earlier this week and OC'd everywhere there, partly due to the fact that I wanted to go to restaurants that served alcohol, and in Montana you are not allowed to do that CC. And it was something I wanted to get more comfortable at anyway. It was refreshing to walk around, shop, eat etc. without anyone batting an eye. Even on the ramp at the airport--general aviation, not the airline part.

I was wanting to visit Yellowstone National Park but lost the opportunity to do so. Maybe the next time I'm there I'll be able to carry there too!

Interesting note: Montana does not have a law concerning consuming alcohol while carrying.

Guest Slickshooter

I DO NOT carry openly at all in public. Why would you want to give up your tactical advantage? Walk into a gas station that is about to be robbed and the robber notices you have a gun while standing in the checkout line. Well if he is not intimidated by your custom leather holster and your nice .45 exposed for all to envy.....guess who is the first one shot. YOU! Now instead of YOU having the element of surprise they do! Now instead of acting you have to react. When something goes down you are far better off with the element of surprise. Just my opinion.

.... Well if he is not intimidated by your custom leather holster and your nice .45 exposed for all to envy.....guess who is the first one shot. YOU! ...

Oh, man, surely you jest. Maybe if that were a exposed 9mm, but everybody, I mean EVERYBODY knows that a bad guy even SEES a .45, he runs away screaming - you don't even have to point it at him!

- OS

I DO NOT carry openly at all in public. Why would you want to give up your tactical advantage? Walk into a gas station that is about to be robbed and the robber notices you have a gun while standing in the checkout line. Well if he is not intimidated by your custom leather holster and your nice .45 exposed for all to envy.....guess who is the first one shot. YOU! Now instead of YOU having the element of surprise they do! Now instead of acting you have to react. When something goes down you are far better off with the element of surprise. Just my opinion.

Everyone talks about "tactical" advantage and how the BG will ALWAYS see that you have a gun if you are open carrying. To be honest, when I've open carried, most people I am around have never noticed the gun until a few minutes after I have been there. And yes, I do notice when they notice because there is always a comment (this is when I am around friends, not out at a store.) But why do they not notice the gun right away? Because often my right side will be turned away from them or other factors will actually conceal the gun to THEM even though it is right out in the open.

The same thing will, most likely, happen to a robber if they come into the gas station/bank/store you are in. First, they have to be at the right angle to see your gun. Second, something else can't be hiding it (like a stand of little debbie cakes). Thirdly, they have to actually take the time to notice! I would imagine that robbing a store tends to put a lot of adrenaline into the system. They get focused on the goal, AKA: MONEY, and are not as observant as they should be (see: snopes.com: Gun Shop Robber )

Here's another thought. Do you think a robber would enter a place where he saw 2-3 people open carrying? (that may be a trick question considering the link above!) In my brain, a criminal is going to do what a criminal wants to do CC or OC. There have been no reported cases that I can find where a criminal shot an OC'er first. But I have seen many reports where a criminal seemed to change their mind when they did see a gun. If all people who carried guns OC'ed, I believe we might see a drop in crime, not just because the guns are a warning sign, but that more people might carry because they realize that it's legal to carry and normal people do it.

Also, I don't like CC because it's uncomfortable to me (although I CC 95% of the time.)

Matthew

I only OC when out atv riding, in my yard and when out fishing or hiking. CC rest of the time.

Question though, Has anyone OC'd into a wal-mart without incident? I only cc in there cause i don't want the other customers getting nervous around me, I don't want to cause any trouble.

But my Glock is here to stop trouble. If needed.

Guest GatorsRule1976

Only when my attire doesnt let me conceal. I actually had one person criticize me over it and told me i should NEVER open carry. I told him it was by choice and legal and ended that conversation.

I only OC at home, when walking around the house/property, because most of the time I just grab it to go outside, etc... In public, I am concealed 24/7, and keep it like that.

There was a kid at Academy Sports in Hendersonville/Rivergate the other day, OC'ing with his little hero badge on, and I was staring quite intently at him, while standing at the ammo counter, trying to see what they had in stock. He didn't seem to think anything of it, but it looked downright stupid (the hero badge and gun, pants all high-and-tight, shirt tucked in with mags all over his belt). He seemed to be needing to wear a shirt that screamed, "HEY LOOK AT WHAT I'M DOING!" :blush:

I only OC when out atv riding, in my yard and when out fishing or hiking. CC rest of the time.

Question though, Has anyone OC'd into a wal-mart without incident? I only cc in there cause i don't want the other customers getting nervous around me, I don't want to cause any trouble.

But my Glock is here to stop trouble. If needed.

OC'd today in the Gallatin Walmart. Bought two boxes for the Glock and left.

No one fainted, screamed and pointed, or squeaked for help. Or even noticed.

Guest spoolie
I only OC at home, when walking around the house/property, because most of the time I just grab it to go outside, etc... In public, I am concealed 24/7, and keep it like that.

There was a kid at Academy Sports in Hendersonville/Rivergate the other day, OC'ing with his little hero badge on, and I was staring quite intently at him, while standing at the ammo counter, trying to see what they had in stock. He didn't seem to think anything of it, but it looked downright stupid (the hero badge and gun, pants all high-and-tight, shirt tucked in with mags all over his belt). He seemed to be needing to wear a shirt that screamed, "HEY LOOK AT WHAT I'M DOING!" :poop:

True story, I was there with him. He cried about being limited on the amount of ammunition he was allotted, huge sign 18" in front of his face.

Guest clownsdd

Note of caution for wallyworld, their corporate has posted on various sites that while they don't disagree with the right of us to carry, they may ask you to cover it up.

Guest hi im drummer03

I generrally CC when in a just open public area.

Also i was in walmart today and i could buy up to 6 boxes of each caliber rounds...

Edited by hi im drummer03
Guest flyinglowwithheat
True story, I was there with him. He cried about being limited on the amount of ammunition he was allotted, huge sign 18" in front of his face.

I don't care if he looks like he just walked off the Gunsmoke or TJ Hooker set, how is he behaving in public?? That's were it counts. I saw a guy in the South Pittsburgh wallyworld that had two beautiful revolvers on an old western 'hanging at your knees' holster (complete with bullets on the belt!!) and he was the most polite and courteous guy you'd ever meet....VERY +++++ image for us!!! People need to chill out and go out OC every now and then AND CONCENTRATE on being a BIG TIME NICE guy. You may just run into one of "them" anti gun folks that happens to vote on the hill AND change there perception!!!!! :-))))))))