Gun in parking lots

As for smoking in public,your right to smoke ENDS AT MY NOSE. YOU are the one with the filthy habit,YOU go outside,not me...common sense.

This law needs to pass,and soon.It is sorely needed.

As someone who's smoked for over 40 years, I agree with you. Smoking is a health hazard and employers have a duty to protect non-smokers from exposure.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An employer is just that,and that alone..AN EMPLOYER.They have no special right to deny me of my consitutional rights at all....... Where and who says an employers rights supecedes mine? My vehicle is MY vehicle,and it will be searched by NO ONE unless an officer of the law HAS A WARRANT. When an employer hires people,he hires them and their rights as well,my rights arent checked at the door when I clock in.

As for smoking in public,your right to smoke ENDS AT MY NOSE. YOU are the one with the filthy habit,YOU go outside,not me...common sense.

Straight Shooter - That's exactly how I feel! I don't know about the legality of that but it's how I feel.

I too smoke, and have zero issue with the smoking ban.

I wanna kill myself, that's fine, but why should I subject others to it?

I don't smoke but wish everyone who did felt like Kegger & PapaB does.

An employer is just that,and that alone..AN EMPLOYER.They have no special right to deny me of my consitutional rights at all.No..they CANNOT ban tire irons or gansta rap,they have to obey the law too.Just because a person,or a corporation opens a business,gives them NO RIGHT to start doing things contrary to the constitution.

If they dont like it,dont open the business,period. Where and who says an employers rights supecedes mine? My vehicle is MY vehicle,and it will be searched by NO ONE unless an officer of the law HAS A WARRANT. When an employer hires people,he hires them and their rights as well,my rights arent checked at the door when I clock in.

You're dead wrong. Although I do like your passion and we need more people with that kind of passion.B)

If I own business or for that matter my house I most certainly can prohibit you from carrying a firearm, tire iron or gangsta rap on private property. Which most businesses are located on private property.

I can also request to search you car if I have a think you have prohibited materials in your car. You can then in turn refuse the search upon which I can then fire you. No ones rights were infringed you can still carry your gun just not on my property.

I personally would not ban guns from my business if I had one. But, we do need to let companies know profits will suffer. This either from lack of business or lack of productivity, due to their best employees leaving for more like minded employers.

Where and who says an employers rights supecedes mine?

I wanted to first state that I want the law to pass but I can also see it from the employer's side.

The deal with employers is that I chose to work there. They don't make me.

If I want money for the work I do and want to continue to have a job, I have to abide by their rules. I may not like their rules, or agree with them, but if I want to be an employee I'm obligated to obey.

Same thing goes with joining any private club. If I want to join and be a member, I abide by their rules. If the rules say I have to shave my head to be a member, they I need to shave my head. If I really like having hair on my head then I need to find another club that doesn't have that rule. I don't need to waste time and money by trying to sue my way into the club.

TGO has posting rules, you may not like some of them and feel they violate your first admendment rights, but TGO can make the rules. If you don't like them then go to another forum.

It comes down to my choice. If I don't like my employer's rules I need to get a different job.

I work at the Bridgestone Tire Plant in Lavernge, TN. They have a sign up coming into the parking lot. NO Firearms allowed. That sign is not going to stop any crazed worker from bringing in a gun in the plant. What Bridgestone is worried about. Dec. 2008 is when the lay offs started. We had 1140 people working at that time. We have 497 of us left now. The way the the company treats its workers is why they don't want this law to pass. I have HCP. I have to leave it at home when I go to work. I guess you guys are going to tell me to find anothe job. Can't. Been there too long. Will mess up my plans. gearyr

have HCP. I have to leave it at home when I go to work. I guess you guys are going to tell me to find another job. Can't. Been there too long. Will mess up my plans. gearyr

You'll get no grief from me. I understand the choices we have to make and the frustrations that go along with them. We all do what we have to... and what we think is best.

Straight Shooter - That's exactly how I feel! I don't know about the legality of that but it's how I feel.

I don't smoke but wish everyone who did felt like Kegger & PapaB does.

I admit, I'm greedy. I want it all! I want to be able to carry where I please, but I'm willing to negotiate. I have no problem leaving the gun locked in the car if my employer feels uncomfortable with me carrying inside the building. So to employers: Can we meet halfway on this?

I also agree about smokers. Kegger & PapaB get thumbs up from me!

Fincher talked several times about striking a balance - and his point seems bouyed by the fact that few, if any, of the firms so posted actually enforce their policy unless an employee actually brandishes a firearm in some manner - which is also an outright violation of the proposed law. As several folks in the House Cmte meeting pointed out, this law would not change (nor necessitate any change) in the way firms are actually operating, in the way they are presently enforcing their policy, nor in the manpower/equipment/procedures necessary to do so.

I have HCP. I have to leave it at home when I go to work. I guess you guys are going to tell me to find anothe job. Can't. Been there too long. Will mess up my plans.

I can totally agree with that since I'm in the same boat with my job. My intent was to say that an employer has a right to enforce certain rules on employees as long as it's within the law.

Unfortunately the second admendment is one area that isn't universally accepted by society.

It again goes back to my choice, accept the current rules, or go somewhere else. In my case, I choose to stay with my current employer and have to leave my gun at home.

Hopefully the law will pass and then the employer will have to abide by the law and we'll all be happy.

My problem with the issue is that the employer IS violating my rights. To me, the car is my property, the gun is on my property until it leaves the car. My wheels may be sitting on his property, but to me the inside of my vehicle is none of the employers business. I guess I see the parking lot as interim property, although I know legally it's owned by the employer, it is were I leave my stuff and I think it's reasonable to expect some respect for my personal property rights and privacy as long as it doesn't effect work.

I understand the employers are mostly just playing a game of cover your butt with liability, but that isn't a good enough reason to screw with fundamental rights. And believe me I'm not knocking anyone who abides by the lousy rules. Protecting your family is only so useful if you can't afford to feed, clothe and house them, you do what you have to do.

And for the record, the way my place of employment is handling it, intentionally or not, is by keeping me running around busy so much I haven't had time to get my HCP anyway. So I only have a philosophical horse in this race right now. In reality they officially have a no guns in the car policy, but since we drive all over creation on our own the unofficial rule is be sure you're right and we won't have a problem with it. A little scary having the "official" version running against me.

Syn

My problem with the issue is that the employer IS violating my rights. To me, the car is my property, the gun is on my property until it leaves the car. My wheels may be sitting on his property, but to me the inside of my vehicle is none of the employers business. I guess I see the parking lot as interim property, although I know legally it's owned by the employer, it is were I leave my stuff and I think it's reasonable to expect some respect for my personal property rights and privacy as long as it doesn't effect work.

I appreciate that sentiment and such. I mean what business is it of the business what you do while you're not working. Most of us would agree that it isn't their business. In some public safety jobs, say airline pilot, it might matter what folks do off duty but in general none of their business.

The rub is that you're voluntarily giving up your rights by accepting employment. Oral contract and all that. Employers are given wide leeway about what they can demand of employees. You can't tell employees to violate the law, you must follow OSHA rules and so forth. But if they want to make your dress up like a frog and act like an idiot and you agree... well that's what you sign up for.

Declaring your car your private property does nothing to alleviate the situation. If the law passes you would think you could keep a gun in car and not get fired for it but all the employer has to do is make it a condition of employment that you don't keep a gun in your car. They can make it a condition of employment you don't have cheetos in your house.

I do think that employers are granted a little too much latitude when it comes to situations like this but the alternative is onerous regulation. A lot of people complain about over regulation, too many laws and special interest groups. This is more regulation, another law and another special interest group being served. It happens I agree with the goal of this group bt whatever...

My legal mind is weak though so I'm probably wrong. I can see how businesses can get away with it but how cc is prohibited is public parks eludes me. How OC on any public street can be illegal completely befuddles me.

99% of the time I suspect this isn't a real problem. Put you gun in the glove box and if anyone asks to search your car say sure. When they can't open the glove box tell them you can't either because you lost the key.

There are plenty of other ways to hide your weapon at work but you have to remember the worst you can take over this at most employers is a firing. If they are searching your car and asking questions they were going to fire you anyway so your weapon was just a reason.

Guest archerdr1

sometimes I am glad that I work in Georgia. Those of you who know anything about "Chattanooga's" Camping world, our property starts in Tennessee, but the store is in Georgia! The dealership is a TN business, but the store is all Georgia... so is the parking lot! Our company has a policy of no guns but only that employees can't carry or have them in vehicles... GA policy says otherwise! Gotta love it!

I hate this right on right violence!:D

On the one hand I'm down with the notion that individuals are entitled to carry weapons. You have a right to defend yourself and such.

On the other hand the employer has rights as well. If the employer wants no firearms on his property then that is the employers right, right? For example I have every right to stand on the street corner and spout my philosophy to those who use sidewalk. Incidentally my philosophy is that someone should sell me a mosin nagant in Knoxville and let me shoot hogs on their land, but if I did that in a Dunkin Donuts I would expect them to ask me to leave.

So this seems like a battle of rights, who has the right on private property? I would generally side with the owner of private property. It is, after all, their property. Just because it is my right doesn't mean I get to infringe on their right. You have the option not to work there so it isn't like your right is actually being taken away.

All that said, if they want you gone they'll find a reason and if you leave your gun in your car they will likely never know. I've never worked at a place that included car inspections.

Be smart and I'll bet you never have to worry.

Just having moved from Florida here's my 2 cents worth. Right to carry in a employers/company parking lot was just passed last year after several years of fighting by big name companies such as Wal-Mart, Disney and Publix. To the best of my knowledge their parking lots have not become "killing fields" !

That said there were several instances in the years prior to the law passing where employees did have their car searched ( apparantly this can be done) and were terminated for having a weapon in the car. In some cases I believe that they were "concealed weapons" license holders.

It is still a hard call either way, but I wanted to point out that sometimes keeping your mouth shut when you have a weapon in your car at work did/does not work.

Bob

I sort of like what Synghyn said about parking lots, calling them "interim property".

I have no problem with any employer restricting items within their building or on the property where the actual business is conducted. However, they employer provides the parking lot to you for you to park your property (car), should they be allowed to restrict what is kept in that car?

I mean they have set aside that piece of property (parking lot) for you to place your personal property (car) there. So couldn't one say that maybe they are giving up some of their rights by designating that area for the personal property of their employees?

FWIW, the Louisiana AG just issued an opinion saying that firearms in parking lots does not violate and regs of OSHA or that or some other agencies. See here.

sometimes I am glad that I work in Georgia. Those of you who know anything about "Chattanooga's" Camping world, our property starts in Tennessee, but the store is in Georgia! The dealership is a TN business, but the store is all Georgia... so is the parking lot! Our company has a policy of no guns but only that employees can't carry or have them in vehicles... GA policy says otherwise! Gotta love it!

Arch, I worked at Nashville CW for 5 years. They are pretty straight forward and do their homework on this stuff. My question for them would be why do you let customers bring their guns into the shop? There were HUNDREDS of times I had to enter a customers coach and the little old men would always say something about their pistol being in there. I think as a whole there are far more incidents of a customer using a firearm than an employee. I think the constitution is being violated any time I can't protect myself. As long as I'm not violating another persons rights.

By enacting this law I feel like these business owners are saying "you have rights, just not on my property"

Is their property NOT part of the USA? How can they pick and choose which constitutional rights are important?

For example: What if the company decided they did not allow women who vote on their property? That is against their (womens) constitutional right to vote.

It is against MY rights not to be able to have and bear arms. Will we hear a lot of hell raising from lawyers wanting that case? Perhaps I'm different than most. Just my 2 cents and that is more than it's worth.

By enacting this law I feel like these business owners are saying "you have rights, just not on my property"

Is their property NOT part of the USA? How can they pick and choose which constitutional rights are important?

For example: What if the company decided they did not allow women who vote on their property? That is against their (womens) constitutional right to vote.

It is against MY rights not to be able to have and bear arms. Will we hear a lot of hell raising from lawyers wanting that case? Perhaps I'm different than most. Just my 2 cents and that is more than it's worth.

I understand your position, employers have lot of control. But it is time to put a fine point on this discussion.

Imagine an employer has a rule: No guns at work. But they'll pick you up in a limo and pay you a million bucks a year. The driver is a former seal and carries not only 3 10 mm pistols but a tactical shotgun. The car is armored and has 50 caliber machine gun mounted to the top. The machine gun is manned by the best heli gunner in the world. Plus, there's breakfast in the car. Not that the food has anything to do with it but, geeze, if they are paying you that much...

So you've got choices. You can either take the job and give up your right or you can get fired for carrying. I'd go the job route.

And that is exactly the same question when it comes to any job. You are being asked if you are paid enough to not do something (a gun in your car) that you'd rather do. You have to decide what that is worth to you.

If you still think the company is treading on your freedoms try using your freedom of speech to dog out the boss. You'll be able to say it and you can join me in the hunt for work tomorrow.

Guest crotalus01

No offense intended, but what a stupid analogy. Of COURSE I would have no problem leaving my gun at home if my employer picked me up in a bulletproof limo driven by an armed guard!

In reality, I have to drive through carjack country daily on my way to and from work, and my employer bans guns AND knives in their parking lot - and there is NO PLACE in walking distance to park!

And of course they claim that banning weapons is in the best interest of their employees. Reality is they are afraid of lawsuits.

Scumbags..

No offense intended, but what a stupid analogy. Of COURSE I would have no problem leaving my gun at home if my employer picked me up in a bulletproof limo driven by an armed guard!

In reality, I have to drive through carjack country daily on my way to and from work, and my employer bans guns AND knives in their parking lot - and there is NO PLACE in walking distance to park!

And of course they claim that banning weapons is in the best interest of their employees. Reality is they are afraid of lawsuits.

Scumbags..

Well, as far as the lawsuit thing goes I would hope that if something bad happens someday someone will sue the employer for not allowing handguns...

Be that as it may, lets take a look again:

"Of COURSE I would have no problem leaving my gun at home if my employer picked me up in a bulletproof limo driven by an armed guard!"

So you've admitted for enough money and/or perceived safety you'd happily leave your gun at home. So the only question is how much do you need to take the job?

It reminds me of an old joke. This older guy with diamond cufflinks, a tailored suit and snakeskin boots is talking to a very attractive waitress. After some bawdy banter the guy says:

"I've noticed just about anyone will do just about anything for money. What would it take to get your gates of heaven open?"

The waitress says:

"For a million bucks these gates would be wide open!"

The old guy thinks for a moment and says:

"I'll give you five bucks to have sex with me"

The face of the waitress turns a furious shade of mad and she hauls off and slaps the old guy. While the welts are growing she says:

"What do you think I am some kind of whore?"

The old guy rubs his cheeks a minute, takes a drink of his coffee and adjusts his cufflinks. After a long pause he says:

"Darling, we've already established what you are, now we're just negotiating on the price"

It is up to you to follow the rules of the employer. If you don't like the rules don't take the job if the issue is that important to you. Oh, and be sure to let them know why you aren't working there.

If you are compelled to take a job because you need work hide your weapon in a bag with "Condoms to be recycled" on it. Everyone want a greener earth after all.

Guest canynracer

then you dont have a say about what I do in your yard?