Census Worker Killed...

Guest SUNTZU

I don't know anything about Clay county, except that it's very near to Harlan county. My daddy used to hunt and fish in the Harlan area and he told me it wasn't no place to be snooping around without a local with you. He said most of the people were real clannish and extremely suspicious of outsiders. He said he never really feared for his safety, but he was plenty cautious when he was there. He also was pretty much armed all the time, too.

you are right on. they are VERY leery of outsiders. i think there is more to the story than they are telling

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you are right on. they are VERY leery of outsiders. i think there is more to the story than they are telling

I live in Laurel County. It's about 20 minutes away and I go up to Clay county all the time. they're good folks. Clannish? they're smart! they trust strangers only when they know their intentions. if that's a bad trait then you can color me clannish.

The idea that they all go armed to do ill will isn't true. It would be more accurate to say that they're armed to insure folks don't take liberties with them that they shouldn't. If that makes you nervous then I submit that perhaps you shouldn't entertain taking those liberties. If more people acted this way our country wouldn't be in the mess it's in now.

These folks are generous, but poor. Last time I was out working a friend of mine from around there, who knows of my love for fresh green beans, MAILED me a mason jar of them. Does that sound like clannish folks to you? Many folks around there live on the thin side of poor and that's a tough situation to be in. To see someone come in and take from them? heh. I can understand their viewpoint.

As for going through there cautious, I would think that cautious should be your standard mindset where ever you go...this is simply common sense!

and being armed all the time...this is a bad thing?

Edited by towerclimber37

maybe i should have edited his post to what i wanted to agree with... i wasnt at all saying they were clannish. they are great people. i was only meaning they are suspicious of outsiders(which isnt all that bad). my family has done alot of mission work in southeastern ky and it takes years to get to know the people enough to open up to you. once you get to know them they would give you their last $10 or shirt off their back.

Guest jackdm3
I live in Laurel County. It's about 20 minutes away and I go up to Clay county all the time. they're good folks. Clannish? they're smart! they trust strangers only when they know their intentions. if that's a bad trait then you can color me clannish.

The idea that they all go armed to do ill will isn't true. It would be more accurate to say that they're armed to insure folks don't take liberties with them that they shouldn't. If that makes you nervous then I submit that perhaps you shouldn't entertain taking those liberties. If more people acted this way our country wouldn't be in the mess it's in now.

These folks are generous, but poor. Last time I was out working a friend of mine from around there, who knows of my love for fresh green beans, MAILED me a mason jar of them. Does that sound like clannish folks to you? Many folks around there live on the thin side of poor and that's a tough situation to be in. To see someone come in and take from them? heh. I can understand their viewpoint.

As for going through there cautious, I would think that cautious should be your standard mindset where ever you go...this is simply common sense!

and being armed all the time...this is a bad thing?

EVERYTHING HE SAID

maybe i should have edited his post to what i wanted to agree with... i wasnt at all saying they were clannish. they are great people. i was only meaning they are suspicious of outsiders(which isnt all that bad). my family has done alot of mission work in southeastern ky and it takes years to get to know the people enough to open up to you. once you get to know them they would give you their last $10 or shirt off their back.

I agree with that assessment..that they are suspicious of outsiders. I don't see too much wrong with that. Being poor means you have less options than other folks.

those who would cut and run...find another place to live that's more prosperous have done so long ago. These folks work hard and long to make homes, raise families and keep them fed, and get them educated. Many people who look in from the outside would be quick to judge them as backwoods hillbillies that aren't that bright...they're plenty bright. I know a few of them that have more schooling than I do. The older folks? they're just as smart..and even wiser than they let on. simply because a college gives you a piece of paper doesn't mean you're a bright person..it just means you paid them money and sat through their classes long enough. When it comes to life experience..these folks have ph.D's..they've been through hard times like you wouldn't believe..made due with less, more times than not, and on top of all that hard work..some joker comes by and metaphorically kicks them in the teeth because of how they dress, or how they speak, or where they live or how much they make when they're not trying to take something off the "dumb backwoods hillibillies"... yah..I'd be suspicious of strangers too.

If you ask me these folks are smart where it counts..and they don't like condescension, and they'd just as soon shun you than teach you manners...less trouble that way...but if you're bound and determined to find trouble, you'll find it there..more than you want!

They mind their own business and expect others to do the same. They take care of their responsibilities and know full well the cost of taking on more than they can handle...more than just one person's standard of living is often at stake when they fail. That is why they seem "clannish".

Me? I like em.

more than that, I like where they live..it may be poor but it's beautiful country and the folks are just my kind of folks, for the most part.

RRM I'm not upbraiding you..I'm agreeing with you...but I also want to explain THEIR viewpoint so that others won't be so quick to stereotype them...or if they do, they'll at least know why folks around there act like they do.

Edited by towerclimber37
  • 5 weeks later...

Interesting!

Sources: Insurance Probed In Census Worker Death - Nashville News Story - WSMV Nashville

LEXINGTON, Tenn. -- Life insurance benefits may have been the motive in the death of a Kentucky census worker found hanging from a tree.

Law enforcement officials spoke anonymously to the Associated Press. They now think that Bill Sparkman killed himself but made it look like a murder so his son could collect his life insurance.

In an interview with AP, Josh Sparkman said he found paperwork for the private life insurance policy among his father's personal files, but wasn't sure of the amount or when it was taken out.

Typically, life insurance doesn't cover suicides.

In September, Sparkman's naked body was found hanging from a tree with the word "Fed" written on his chest.

Police have not ruled if it was murder or suicide.

Interesting!

Sources: Insurance Probed In Census Worker Death - Nashville News Story - WSMV Nashville

LEXINGTON, Tenn. -- Life insurance benefits may have been the motive in the death of a Kentucky census worker found hanging from a tree.

Law enforcement officials spoke anonymously to the Associated Press. They now think that Bill Sparkman killed himself but made it look like a murder so his son could collect his life insurance.

In an interview with AP, Josh Sparkman said he found paperwork for the private life insurance policy among his father's personal files, but wasn't sure of the amount or when it was taken out.

In September, Sparkman's naked body was found hanging from a tree with the word "Fed" written on his chest.

Police have not ruled if it was murder or suicide.

Wow. This is a very strange turn of events.:mad:

That varies greatly. In TN, for example, if the policy has been in place for 2+ years and nothing illegal was going on (deliberately OD'ing on an illegal drug like Heroin, being one example) then they have to pay, even on suicide.

Investigators: Kentucky Census Worker Killed Himself - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

FRANKFORT, Ky. — Authorities are saying a Kentucky census worker found hanging from a tree with "fed" scrawled on his chest committed suicide and staged his death to look like a homicide.

A news release from Kentucky State Police said Tuesday that Bill Sparkman died at the same location where his body was found Sept. 12 near a cemetery in a heavily wooded area of southeastern Kentucky.

A man who found the body in the Daniel Boone National Forest said the 51-year-old was bound with duct tape, gagged and had an identification badge taped to his neck.

Investigators say Sparkman acted alone in manipulating the scene to conceal the suicide.

The news release says Sparkman had recently taken out two life insurance policies that would not pay out for suicide.