SA XD9 SC - Thoughts on Finish and Price?

garethsk

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

deafdogdief, do you have any idea what the serial number range is of the suspect finish models? Approximate time frame that the porblem was corrected?

XD finish changed to the current Melonite finish first in the .45 model, then incorporated into all models by 2006.

Can't find serial number range, but XDtalk says if you call in to Springfield they will tell you if your serial number is a Melonite gun.

- OS

deafdogdief, do you have any idea what the serial number range is of the suspect finish models? Approximate time frame that the porblem was corrected?

Sorry about the reply time. Haven't looked at the thread in a while. I know it was right when Springfield picked up the design from HS and it has been corrected. I don't know the serial range, though. Go from 2006 on and I know you'll be safe. This finish is supposed to be as good as the tenifer coat on the glocks. Mine has had no problems and anyone else that has one since 2006 has been ok. Some from before then are disappointingly stained and rusty.

... I know it was right when Springfield picked up the design from HS and it has been corrected....

Well, dunno exactly what you mean there. Springfield didn't do anything but buy the right to distribute and repair and customize the HS Produkt HS2000 around 2001 under the XD rebranding. The first few years of XD branded pistols were rust prone just like the HS2000. They are still produced in the same plant in Croatia.

But yeah, starting 2006, ALL XD variants had the Melonite, which has proved to be as good as the Glock Tennifer. Indeed, the two processes are supposed to be pretty much the same thing.

- OS

Well, I bought an XD9 SC today from WD Sporting Goods on Alcoa Hwy. They had someone trade-in one in the other day, came with all the XD Gear, etc. $439 + Tax and TICS.

Glad to hear you found one at a decent price. You want be disappointed. I have one and have found it to be a great gun.

Well, dunno exactly what you mean there. Springfield didn't do anything but buy the right to distribute and repair and customize the HS Produkt HS2000 around 2001 under the XD rebranding. The first few years of XD branded pistols were rust prone just like the HS2000. They are still produced in the same plant in Croatia.

But yeah, starting 2006, ALL XD variants had the Melonite, which has proved to be as good as the Glock Tennifer. Indeed, the two processes are supposed to be pretty much the same thing.

- OS

OhShoot, not sure how I am unclear. Springfield changed the finish, thus the rust problem has been corrected.

Edited by deafdogdief

- OS

XD specfiied the Melonite be used after that date. Tennifer and Melonite are trade names for salt-nitride bath treatment. It is the same process.

OhShoot, not sure how I am unclear. Springfield changed the finish, thus the rust problem has been corrected.

Well, no big deal, but you said:

"I know it [meaning change in finish] was right when Springfield picked up the design from HS ..."

which just wasn't so; Springfield XDs that rusted were sold for 3-4 years, just like the identical HS2000 branded guns.

- OS