HCP and a gun shop question???

I wasn't sure about this so I thought I'd ask, when you go into a gun shop and you have a HCP and your carrying are you sopposed to unload before you go in or is it ok to carry loaded? Is it gun shop specific? like G&L, On Target, Guns of America? COOP

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Keep it in its holster. Most stores don't want you carrying a loaded gun around in your hand......that goes for gun stores as well. I wouldn't think a properly posted gunstore would get much business.

• Admin Team

I was in Guns for America the other day when a customer asked about the store's policy to which Tom replied - "We take the sign on our door seriously. If you aren't carrying in here, you should be."

Edited by MacGyver
So my eigth grade grammer teacher doesn't hunt me down

I was in a local Pawn Shop awhile back,getting a price on my then:D PT140,I told the gentleman behind the counter I had my permit and the pistol but the gun was in my holster loaded and did he want me to go out and unload before he looked at it,his response was that as long as you told me about it and are carefull unloading the weapon there was no need to go out and do that,so unloaded the pistol and went about our business.He was a real upstanding guy.

Guest Whiskers

I stopped by the "Outpost" in Christiana, TN yesterday for the first time. I think they had a sign which said "or holstered" ..... Can't remember exactly, but I took it to mean that concealed was OK.

BTW, I was only able to stay a few minutes, but I can state that the staff was very friendly.... I was asked more than once if I needed help. I was pleased to get some 380 ball ammo for a very reasonable price.... (The first 380 ball I've seen in nearly 6 months!). I even got some large pistol primers! Can't wait to get back when I have more time!

I've had several dealers tell me their sign on the door had to do more with problems with idiots bringing in loaded rifles and shotguns to see the gunsmith or to see if the shop would buy it. They didn't mind a HCP holder carrying.

Guest crotalus01

I go in Guns and Ammo here in Memphis all the time locked and loaded no problem. Once when I was there looking for an IWB holster an employee asked me to unholster and unload my gun to check the fit of the IWB, and after fitting requested that I reinsert the loaded mag and not rechamber a round until I was outside.

Perfectly reasonable to me considering I was carrying a Glock.

I was in Montana earlier in the week, OC. I went into three sporting goods stores while I was there. In the first a girl at the checkout line stated, apologetically, that they needed me to "check" my weapon at a desk in the front of the store. I asked that girl what she needed me to do? She produced a document in duplicate that mentioned checking various things with the store (bows and such) and asked that I would sign it stating that my weapon was unloaded. I replied "Well, I guess I'll have to unload it then," unloaded my G23 in front of her then reholstered it. Signed the form and she handed me the pink copy, which also said to return it to the front of the store when I left. I tried my Glock in a few holsters, chatted with a clerk there about ammo being more plentiful, then returned to the front of the store. I handed the girl the pink copy back and reloaded in front of her before I left the store.

The other two stores weren't as squeamish, including one where I tried my Blackhawk Serpa loaded with my loaded G23 on several belts while I had a nice conversation with one of clerks there.

Edited by OngoingFreedom