SP101 fans out there?

Guest FiddleDog

Is that necessary with a changout of the main spring and is it easy to do?

The trigger sub assembly needs to be taken down to change the trigger return spring. This really isn't hard, but not as simple as the hammer spring. Beware that the hand/pawl has a plunger and a little spring that will go flying. May actually want to disassemble it in a gallon zip lock bag until you are used to how everything goes together.

The reduced spring jobs do make things lighter, but also amplify any manufacturing imperfections unless you polish and debur a couple of parts first. The most important thing for a slick action on these guns is a smooth trigger return plunger and deburred plunger tunnel. If you don't debur the plunger tunnel with a 1/4" drill bit that plunger spring won't do you a bit of good. Also slap that trigger plunger in something that spins and polich it like a silver dollar. This alone + the springs make a huge difference in the feel of these guns. It is exactly the same for a GP-100 also.

Have done many tuning jobs on these guns...You will want the 11# hammer spring and to use the trigger return spring that comes with the kit. The hammer spring swap can be done in 30 seconds. make sure you secure the spring assembly in a vice and use a fork to get the pin out as it fits perfectly in the top of the retaining block. WEAR EYE PROTECTION. While you have the hammer spring assmbly apart...polish and debur the round part of the strut that goes into the back of the hammer...this is the second most friction prone part of the SP action.

Anyone who can take down a gun can do this. These guns can rival the best of the S&W guns with respect to smoothness.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I'd bump this one up since I have a fever for one in .38cal.. :)

I feel this revolver would be more useful than my SBH in .44mag with 7,5" barrel. :)

Good bump Kieefer. I have the SP fever too. I usually carry a 4.5" SBH 44mag as my woods gun, but I think a 357 SP101 would be perfect for those times when I want to carry something a little smaller and lighter. I think I am going to get one with a hammer.

What possible advantage that model have over the .357 one? Why is it even made?

- OS

Ruger made the gun in the first year with a shorter frame that would only chamber 125 grain 357 magnums. This confused folks and caused problems when handloaders tried to make larger bullets work by seating them deeper in the brass and caused dangerious pressures.

So rather than retool the whole gun they chambered them in .38 special for a while until they could design the gun a little longer to handle any normal .357 magnum.

Ruger made the gun in the first year with a shorter frame that would only chamber 125 grain 357 magnums. This confused folks and caused problems when handloaders tried to make larger bullets work by seating them deeper in the brass and caused dangerious pressures.

So rather than retool the whole gun they chambered them in .38 special for a while until they could design the gun a little longer to handle any normal .357 magnum.

Well, that's an interesting tidbit of Ruger uber trivia, thanks.

But, they still make the .38 version and the .357 version chambers anything, so the question is still, why would anyone want the .38 only version now?

- OS

why would anyone want the .38 only version now?

- OS

I think that there are still orders from customers for them chambered in .38. They sold 10,000+ to various French police departments over the years. New York police used them for a decade or so as well as some other departments that specify .38 only. I think that many still do.

Aside from that....there is no real reason. Aside from a 0.125 difference in chamber cuts they are identical guns.

[edit - 0.125 not 0.0125]

Edited by I_Like_Pie
Guest 5Legion
I had considered selling my SP101 to finance an LCP but just couldn't do it. I'll just have to sell something else.

Good call - I sold my first one and got another as soon as I could afford it. Won't sell this one!

5L

Well, apparently someone wanted the .38 over the .357 because it was sold 2hrs before I got there.

Seems the .38 was in 2" 1/4 length barrel, which was what I was after, and the .357 is in 3" 1/6.

Or maybe he/she felt the magnum cartridge would be better suited in the larger framed GP100?

Who knows, having choices are a good thing either way.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...