East Tn TGO Members NOVEMBER 2007 Meet

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries, Boomer.

CAS, Mike assured me you could ride with him. Look forward to meeting you. Will do my best to have the reloading stuff on hand - do you have a preference for bullet weight for your 270?

I wouldn't know. The first time I got to shoot it was last month, and those were reloads themselves (reloaded before that particular distant family member moved away).

Lee Loader 270 Win 12.50

Reloder 22 1 lb 17.50 (powder)

100 Primers 2.25

100 135gr HPBT Match 22.00

Looks like it comes to fifty four bucks and a quarter. That works out to about 10.85 a box for your first five boxes. Cheaper after that, as you don't have to get another lee loader for 270 - say 8 or 9 bucks a box.

If the total is a bit harsh, you can owe me.

Mike, got you 1 pound of Accurate #2 powder ($16.00), 100 primers ($2.25) and 250 150gr bullets ($15.00). Will have to check the book for the exact numbers, but I am positive that a pound of powder is enough for several hundred pistol rounds.

Those prices are way better than anything I have been able to scout out around here.

And that stuff will work with my Lee Loader? I will make sure I pick up some case lube too.

Do you have a recipe book for loading .357?

Man I am more excited than ever to come shooting!!

Hey, Mike, with your lee loader was a card, with case specs on it. On the backside is a list of loads. Accurate #2 is on the list, and if you've lost the card I have a manual, we can work up a load.

Wideners reloading supply, Johnson City. They have a website, too, and really do more mail-order than walk-in.

Bring your loader, a mallet, eye protection, and if you have one, a caliper. If not, I have one or two laying around here. Oh, and lots of cases!

If you get bored and want to come up early, my dance card is clear for the next week or two. Give us a call.

I'll see what I can do about the money.

Come March, when I can get a job other than Food City, I'll have to get a tumbler and other required gear. At $10.85 a box, that's already pretty good. I'll pick out the cleaner (non-reloaded) casings to take.

Accurate#2 is not on the list with my loader. I don't doubt that it will work anyway but we will need your cook book for a recipe. Since that powder is not on the list I imagine we will need a scale instead of the 7cc scoop powder measure that came with the loader.

I have the mallet, safety glasses and caliper.

I have looked for Wideners the last few times in JC but could never find it. I thought it was on AJ Hgwy (or whatever it is called in JC).

Are the bullets lead or FMJ? What kind of primers? Are primers for a magnum casing different than for a non-magnum? sorry lots of questions ,lol.

Hey, CAS, no worries, we'll sort it out. Bring all your 270 cases, we'll toss 'em in my tumbler and by the time we're done with the pistol match they will be ready to go, and you will go home with however many you bring, loaded for your next shoot.

Mike, according to my book, the starting load is 6.5 grains, the high end is 7.2 grains, so your 7 grain scoop that came with the kit should work just fine. Guesstimate about 1280 FPS. I have a scale, and somewhere, if I can find it, a full set of lee scoops to boot. At 7000 grains to a pound, you're gonna get a lot out of that pound of #2.... compared to about 58 grains for CAS's 270.

The bullets are a jacketed soft point. The box is marked Nosler 150 grain IPSC Trophy Grade. They look pretty good to me. For our purposes, regular primers will work just fine, I think. Guess we will find out, anyway... The primers are Wolf - hey, I was trying to go cheap.

bullets are a jacketed soft point.

I am a big fan of those types of bullets. They are the same thing I look for when buying rounds to practice with in .357mag, less chance of an errant ricochet.

And I am all about some CHEAP shooting. I am really excited about learning this stuff.

Kind of cool too is that when we load these things we can fire them right away to see how they work and adjust if needed.

Do you know if the Lee Loader for .357 will also adjust out to load .38 special?

If this works as well as I think it can I might pick one up and try it for .45ACP.

Boom asks

going to be giving a demo class on re-loading?

See what you are gonna miss out on, lol But I can understand you can't come since it involves the newest little Boom and Mrs. Boom

Guest Boomhower

Well, take some good notes for me. Once you start re-loading, I'll come over and watch you for a little while. Dotsun told me he had an extra press that he would give to me, didn't ya Dot?....or was it that you just had an extra press. I can't remember for some reason.:)

Hey, Boomhower, I sorta hope that 'Demo' isn't the word used to describe it afterwards, but yeah, I am gonna walk Mike and CAS through using a lee loader. Gonna be an interesting meet, I think.

Mike, yep, it'll do 38...

If you have the room, though, you're gonna want to think about a regular press... I'm working on getting my garage wired now, once that is done I can finish up the office and set up my reloading bench... I can chunk out maybe 300 an hour with it. I'm set up for 45, and have the dies for 38. I will probably be parting with my 9mm press, as I don't have anything chambered in euro-weenie anymore.

At any rate, should be a fun day here in Kingsport.

Greetings all.

I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but i've been around the forum for a few months. I'd like to come, but don't have a .22. I'm interested in watching the reloading demo, and if anyone has a kimber pro carry II i'd love to put some rounds thru it ... looking at that as a future carry option.

Details:

Date: 11.17.07

Time: ?

Directions: ?