M1A or 700 Police? Help me decide.

Jasongar8

The military must not have got the memo, because the M-14 is still in use today. :)

He meant stopped using them en mass :) as for the guy saying they used it in boot, i am wondering the same what branch was it? the DMR's they use now are issued to marines/soldiers way after basic.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FroggyOne2
Don't know about the OP....but I was in Navy boot in 1977...and we thanked our CC that they were not drilling with rifles anymore...then I went to a 4 hour "short tour"...punishment PT indoors with an M1...not fun:tough:...and up until my last sea tour 91-94...the ships armory still stocked M14's

Did you end up in "Posmo"? Tisk Tisk

Hmm. for the OP's punching paper - the M1A (though I do not see the "go up in value," is it is not a true M14... and it seems the Obama buy bubble has burst...)

For deer hunting, well, perhaps something lighter than both -

Guest BigShot

Over the years, I've owned a Super Match M1A, a NM and a tanker and they ALL shot well. your only issue will be scope mounts. Be SURE to get the right ones that fit perfect. Otherwise, with everything tight they all can be excellent shooters.

What can be said about the 700s??

All the ones I ever owned had great groups with the right ammo.

All that said, I went and got an FNAR .308 for the very reason mentioned earlier... shoots like a Rem 700 and costs less than a M1A.

Currently preparing to break in the barrel. Here it is:

MVC-829Y.jpg

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/long-guns/27965-finally-got-my-fnar-now-where-start.html

Guest GunTroll

I got an M1A. Got many 700's. I don't have the "Police". The bells on it aren't worth the price. As said earlier the 700 tactical is cheaper and you can just upgrade to a better stock. A real better stock that you want rather than settling for. I'd rather have the shorter barrel anyway as on the tactical for a 308 WIN. I just don't see the need for a few extra inches. Velocity isn't hurt with the 20 inch IMO.

As for the M1A , It isn't a tack driver. But is really fun to shoot and is somewhat a cross over rifle. Accurate enough and capably of acting as a "assault" weapon. Also as said the scope mount is key! Don't skimp on that. I bought a cheap one and the groups were horrible. Using the iron sights just fine. Spend what you can on a good one.

So......I can't answer this for you. Good luck and let us know!

Ok I checked prices today. The M1A is going to cost around $640 more than the 700. As far as the FNAR, I'm just not into them at all. Also this gun isnt going to be used as a hunting gun. I might take it out once or twice for :poop: and giggles, but thats it. And I just like the long barrel, I like the way they look. As far as bases and rings if I got the 700 I would go with Badger all the way. And the M1A I have no idea about the base. All I know is that most guys have to use extra-low or low rings.

Guest HexHead
The military must not have got the memo, because the M-14 is still in use today. :)

Yeah, I know they are still in use on a limited basis, but he said boot camp. Different thing entirely.

Guest FroggyOne2
Yep....:)...and "set back" 2 weeks. I just wasn't squared away enough:drama:

I hear ya.. It is funny.. but I still have my two original walking chits from boot.. I made it.. having either one being pulled. No marching parties.. or anything like that.. don't mean i didn't get some demarits.. cause I wasn't always the good lil boy. It was funny.. but I still remember being out on the grinder one day waiting to get into the chow hall.. there was this group of female Rotcs just off to our left.. and we spent 15 minutes in dress left just so that we could look at them.. we thought it was a big thing then..

The FNAR is impressive and I love FN, but that gun is just plain ugly(I know it shouldnt matter but it does to me). Another thought is a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Tactical...pretty dang accurate, 2 stage trigger, and it comes with a Harris Bipod out of the box. Priced about the same as most 700's www.gunblast.com just posted a review on it.

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
info
Guest mustangdave
I hear ya.. It is funny.. but I still have my two original walking chits from boot.. I made it.. having either one being pulled. No marching parties.. or anything like that.. don't mean i didn't get some demarits.. cause I wasn't always the good lil boy. It was funny.. but I still remember being out on the grinder one day waiting to get into the chow hall.. there was this group of female Rotcs just off to our left.. and we spent 15 minutes in dress left just so that we could look at them.. we thought it was a big thing then..

LMAO...I was in Company 012 at the start (Jan77) graduated with Company 022 (Mar77)...according to the ICCS Hogan I was such a screw up that a marching party woulda been a waste of time...strait to POSMO and a short tour and a meeting with my first SEALS...and set back. :)...I loved it...smiled my ass off the entire 4 hours of PT. Was an out-F'n-standing recruit from that point forward. Even motivated me to tryout for BUD/S

ok. i'll play.

have both. (actually a third - see below)

and while i think every man should own an M1A in some variant, i'm voting the bolt gun... you said, 'just punching holes in paper'.

and agree w/ another poster, the money you save and the ease of setup are considerable. easy to scope and scope well.

that being said, i also have the savage 308 tactical.

i know i lot of guys who sh*t on the Savage.

in my experience, you can't buy a better gun for the money.

it'll easy shoot 1/4 MOA w/ the right ammo, the right rings and scope.

the accu trigger is sweetness.

put the right stock under it and you have a fantastic rifle... (just about any stock for that matter except the stock stock :)

so, w/ the M1A, you will be between 2-3 bills before you are set up the way you are describing (MKIV etc) and while i highly recommend this setup, and wouldn't trade mine, mine is a gun i will go into harms way with. so money was less the point. (rapid follow up, and robust long range semi auto was the goal)

look for a good Rem or Savage ( it'll rock your socks off... it'll make you feel very special smoking raw eggs at 300 yds) (The right M1A will do this too, by the way but for a lot more money) if you get the 700, look hard at the JA Enterprise stock... amazing stuff. super amazing for the M1A too, by the way... the best actually~

just my humble opinion... which ain't worth much, but hey. you asked.

keep us posted...

and whatever you choose, you will not be unhappy.

Edited by crashgordan