Where Will The Population Flee?

Guest KarlS

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have more guns and ammo than the next guy then survival becomes a lot easier.those with the fewest weapons will be the first to disapear.

You can't hydrate or feed yourself on guns and ammo.

I know it's a gun forum, but we really ought to be preparing for survival, not the uber-unlikely Mad Max scenarios.

Water, food, shelter...

• 5 months later...
Guest jackdm3

Makes you so angry, you wanna slap yo' Mama.

Last weekend we had my mother's birfday and we talked about storing up enough cash in the house in case you gotta hit the road/leave town in a quick. She had a blank expression and slowly asked, "Why in the world would you not stay in your home?" She's 59. I shouldn't have to tell her to run a few scenarios through her head. She's the one I mentioned deplores guns.

As you were.

Guest HvyMtl

I find it interesting. Particularly the posts of people going to go someplace else to hunker down. Look. In a big SHTF situation, there may not be any warning. You may not have the time to hit the road before the crowds do. So Running from here to the Ozarks, or even across town to that plot of land, may not be possible. Also, if you were able to travel to the spot before the full on SHTF, is it prepared? Is there water, food, shelter, and security there? Would you be able to transfer such to it in one trip? On foot? Basically put, it may be far better to hunker down.

In a SHTF situation, people will flee. They will clog the Interstates, then Secondary Roads (Such as State Highways, and major through ways like Nolensville Rd. in Nashville) and finally any other roads which can be used to move from one spot to the other. So, can you get there? Are you sure? Or are you placing yourself in a spot where you are stuck with the masses away from home, and away from your bug out spot, with little to go on?

What I have found is this: The Nashville Flood proved people are not prepared. They had to move after it was too late. Many routes were blocked by flooding and traffic. So. I will stay in my house on the hill (if it floods, build an Ark...) get to know my neighbors and see if plans can be made to have water, food, shelter, and safety in the spot I am in.

Guest Straight Shooter

Im staying put here in TN...and Ive got my MINDSET & gear ready to do one thing....and thats getting to my people and getting thru whatever it is. Anyone or anything tries to stop me, IT DIES. Ill help who I can, but all Ill worry about is my family. After they are settled, then Ill do what I can for others.

Right, or wrong, its what IM doing.

Guest jackdm3

Awwww, man! All the TGO'ers that spent money on Bug Out Bags! Suckers, right? I don't know what any of us should expect. How do YOU know what's gonna happen that's better here or there? Hurricane Elvis '03 put a hurtin' on our area. We had no power for 13.5 days and it never occured to us to go anywhere. Thought power would surely be up around day 2 or 3. Kept putting store-bought ice in the freezer to keep the food. Fuggedaboutit! Never had any trouble on the roads in that one. And that was a bit of panic around me. Folks are 40 miles south. Might make it. Might not, if we leave. Folks might scurry to our house, and maybe for good reason. How do you know? With Elvis, our instinct was to guard the house and home.

But we had options with cash. Gonna need a bigger B.O.B.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis_Summer_Storm_of_2003

Guest SUNTZU
I find it interesting. Particularly the posts of people going to go someplace else to hunker down. Look. In a big SHTF situation, there may not be any warning. You may not have the time to hit the road before the crowds do. So Running from here to the Ozarks, or even across town to that plot of land, may not be possible. Also, if you were able to travel to the spot before the full on SHTF, is it prepared? Is there water, food, shelter, and security there? Would you be able to transfer such to it in one trip? On foot? Basically put, it may be far better to hunker down.

In a SHTF situation, people will flee. They will clog the Interstates, then Secondary Roads (Such as State Highways, and major through ways like Nolensville Rd. in Nashville) and finally any other roads which can be used to move from one spot to the other. So, can you get there? Are you sure? Or are you placing yourself in a spot where you are stuck with the masses away from home, and away from your bug out spot, with little to go on?

What I have found is this: The Nashville Flood proved people are not prepared. They had to move after it was too late. Many routes were blocked by flooding and traffic. So. I will stay in my house on the hill (if it floods, build an Ark...) get to know my neighbors and see if plans can be made to have water, food, shelter, and safety in the spot I am in.

Far better to hunker down. Time to make that decision on whether you should go ahead and live in the country now or in a small community...and I mean small. Sacrifices would have to be made. Which is more important AND feasible. If not, better to burn up some vacation days to get out ahead of the horde than be stuck behind them like all those idiots who waited when Katrina was just about to hit. Why do I say idiots? Quit listening to Lady Gaga and listen to the news and weather. People are to busy wondering who has talent in America and who they should idol, are the stars really dancing?! and that sumbitch sure can throw, drive, catch, shoot, play, etc. Rome is burning, please leave the Colosseum by the exit lights to the left and right. Wake up people.

"Looks like rain..." - Noah

so everyone might have some bug out/bug in plan. What do you do when the disaster strikes at 2pm on a Tuesday afternoon?

Your kids are at school, your wife is at work and you are at work. And none of you are very close together.

I am not sure but I am not counting on SHTF to happen at 9am on Saturday, and warning that it is coming by 6 pm Friday night.

so everyone might have some bug out/bug in plan. What do you do when the disaster strikes at 2pm on a Tuesday afternoon?

Your kids are at school, your wife is at work and you are at work. And none of you are very close together.

I am not sure but I am not counting on SHTF to happen at 9am on Saturday, and warning that it is coming by 6 pm Friday night.

I work @ home and we homeschool our kids.

hehe

Guest jackdm3

A "house in the woods" is probably THE destination. Crimson's place is no where near the $#!+. I'm a piss's arc away from the proverbial L.A. riots.

Should have illustrated Mom better. In East Memphis, she sees no need for: cash, food, batteries, water, genny, protection, matches/lighters/magnesium bars ... the rest of the average list for self-reliance. All the ATMs will be open. All the gas stations. Kroger. Blah, blah, blah.

After about 4 or 5 days of Elvis, the 5th, 6th and 7th houses down from me had their sheds looted on the same night. That was just a storm. Anything much worse and we'll want heavy firepower to stay.

Guest SUNTZU

Have a plan, have a go bag, make a list of what you think you will need to do. Take those lists and make detailed lists for each step. She will go here, you will go here and get the kids, you will meet here. If that fails you will meet here. Practice. Talk to your children about it. Move if necessary. Or be indifferent and hope nothing will happen. Preparation doesn't mean you'll make it, just be better off TO make it.

Guest ls2tiger

Running for the exit is never a option for me. Hunker down, take a clear look at the situation. Obtain as much intel on the situation as you can from the news, family, freinds and neighbors. Bugging out is the final option but I plan to protect my family,my home and my life first.

Guest HvyMtl

My point is this: You may not have warning. Staying put means more resources, and familiar territory. Bug out only when necessary. Remember: Disasters strike with little to no notice (hurricanes, they can give warning, but other disasters, not so much...) Having a plan is required. A bug out bag and location should not be the first option of the plan.

Guest SUNTZU
My point is this: You may not have warning. Staying put means more resources, and familiar territory. Bug out only when necessary. Remember: Disasters strike with little to no notice (hurricanes, they can give warning, but other disasters, not so much...) Having a plan is required. A bug out bag and location should not be the first option of the plan.

And I agree with your point. My point is that knowing you might not have warning you might not want to live in that floodplain, or in between those two ghettos, or in the probable line the horde of fleeing city dwellers is going to take. If you do have to live in a city, better to spend some vacation days on some possible emergencies than to cross your fingers and hope you can keep saving up for that spoiler for the Honda. I understand that "the spice must flow" but sometimes the people are more important than the money. At least to me they are. That's all I'm saying.

Guest jackdm3

"The Spice" is a genetically-modified version of pot (legal weed) with the THC intact (for the most part) and has been outlawed in most places in TN. The Spice flows no mo'.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question for you guys thinking about SHTF scenarios. How do you balance the odds of something like this happening with the odds of it not happening. i.e. where do you put your money. Do you invest in stocks and have your money in the bank. Do you just put your money into land, food, guns and ammo? Having a bug out plan and making everyday financial decisions based on SHTF seem to be 2 different things to me. I would really love to be fully prepared, as I think it is at least a remote possibility, but I frankly have lots of financial obligations that come before buying a years worth of food and ammo. I currently live in a townhouse in the burbs. I would much prefer 50 acres in the country, but that just isn't possible for quite awhile.

Guest guardlobo

Do a little at a time.

If you can afford it:

1. Store a weeks supply of food every month.

2. Buy a small box of ammo (above what you have used) every month.

3. Store 5 gallons of water every month until you have 14 gallons (2 weeks at a gallons a day, not comfortable, but enough to live) per person in your family.

4. Try your hand at some small time gardening (or just get a few seed packets and store them in the freezer just in case).

5. Invest most of your excess money somewhere and use the interest to buy more supplies (or you can just use a certain percentage of your surplus funds every month).

Reasonable precautions are great, but not paying bills now in order to have food and ammo for later is a bad idea.

yeah paying the bills isn't a problem atm, just trying to decide what to do with the excess. I think my biggest goal right now is going to be getting some land in the country. That fits very well with what I want in normal times as well as SHTF scenario. On top of that I may start stocking up some food and water as well. Or maybe a filter of some sort, as packing enough water to last a reasonable amount of time doesn't seem that feasible.

Um. I would look at where you live. Is it defensible? Can you stay put for a month? Can you make it there? Do you know and trust your neighbors? Will they be a boon or drain?

Up and buying a piece of land away from it all is fine. But can you get there? On foot, within a day? Can you afford to improve the land to enable SHTF survival? Will your improvements to the land bring unwanted attention?

Being on a tight budget, you have to focus on what you can do. Bang for the buck wise, would an additional piece of land, with the extra costs (taxes, up keep, etc.) be affordable, or would it be more wise to invest the time to organize your neighbors and friends into a group where you can have a bug out location, where you have permission to go, without buying it? Would it be more wise to get your neighborhood organized, so it can rely on itself in a SHTF situation?