22 rifle for fun

Steve_cru

Anyone have a suggestion on a good bolt action or single shot 22 rifle? I already have a 10-22. I know that CZ makes some good stuff, but I don't really want to spend $400 on a 22 right now.I plan on using this for punching paper (something that my wife can shoot) and possibly a little squirrel hunting. Let me know your suggestions. Please include model numbers.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TnDeerHunter

The CZ452's are great. They are very accurate out of the box and the triggers are adjustable. I shoot benchrest and shoot one in plinker class.

Guest HexHead

I just bought a Marlin 981T bolt action. I wanted a tube magazine because it'll eat shorts, longs, or long rifles. You never know what's going to available down the road.

But an extremely fun gun to shoot is a Remmy 572. Tube fed, plenty of shooting. I have had mine for over 20 years.

I have had a couple of older Marlin bolts that were OK- not sure about current production. I would buy one without hesitation though.

Savage will be a lot of gun for a little money.

CZ will more than likely be the most accurate and nicest finished. I have had a few and they were all accurate in 22, 17, and 22mag. You may be able to get in the lower end models at a reasonable cost.

The Savage Mark II family is a fine choice. Are several different models ranging from $117 WalMart specials up to the higher-end $400+ versions.

Very accurate guns.

Can testify that the one you have is great.

That "Accutrigger" is really fantastic right out of the box.

- OS

+1 for Savage. I had a Mark II F from Wal-Mart that was a great shooter, especially considering the 117 dollar price tag. Only weakness was the trigger: it was rather heavy. Spend the extra 60 or so dollars to find a model with Accutrigger at Dicks or something.

The Wally Savage Mk II is now $137 - glad I got mine when I did.

No accutrigger on the wallymark, but a good, accurate rifle for the money.

BTW, check Rimfire Central for info on shimming the Mk II trigger.

Edited by ttocswob
reference
Guest rebelyell

I have a mossberg plinkster bought at wallyworld for 98 bucks,great little target rifle,I would recommend it,alot of fun for a great price,very light and accurate.

I just bought a Marlin 981T bolt action. I wanted a tube magazine because it'll eat shorts, longs, or long rifles. You never know what's going to available down the road.

2nd that. Bolt with tube I can push anything through it.

The great thing about .22 rifles is that you have about 100 years worth of inexpensive used ones that are every bit as good as the ones sold new in the shop today.

If you can remove a "New" from store restriction the array of selections is staggering...talking thousands of different possibilities. The "fun" aspect is often actually finding the gun just right for you.

Guest 1817ak47

no one mentioned the all time poular 10/22 from ruger, satrts at about 200 new, but liked it alot better than a marlin 60 that had cheap cast sights, wasn't magazine fed, and was near impossible to reassemble(worst rifle I ever owned)without destroying the recoil spring

Thanks for all the options guys. I will have to start looking into some of them next time I get the the gun show. The gun doesn't have to be new, just new to me. I do already have a 10/22 that I love ( hogue stock and butler creek barrel with 4x scope). To clarify a bit. I have started to become friends with a few guys who don't know anything about guns. I know we are planning on getting together soon and wanted to have something that is easy to load and operate (keeping safety in mind) ,and something they could shoot alot that doesn't have high recoil or cost me an arm and leg to shoot. A cousin of mine used to have a little bolt action 22 that was a single shot with a peep sight.