• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rut should be kicking in. A lot of people have different opinions on when the rut begins. I generally as a rule for me hunt food sources, the reason is bucks and doe's will eat regardless of the rut. Bucks might not eat as much but they will follow the doe's who are trying to get fat. Go to a local check in station preferably one that the owner also hunts like a local sporting goods store and ask around.

Edited by Hunting101

All I've seen are a few does, but a friend said he seen 3 bucks all together a couple of days ago. So I would say that it hasn't started yet. I'm taking my daughter on her first deer hunt this weekend,maybe that is if it ever stops this d*** raining.

Guest Old goat

About two weeks ago, my neighbor told me exactly what day it would begin, "read it in a mag". I didn't have the heart to shoot him down. I told him that I really didn't know anything about deer, like how they got them to cross the road where they put the signs, he just looked at me with a puzzled look.

Guest Jcochran88

Well this want be popular but here goes, biologicaly the rut begins when the bucks start shedding their velvet. The peak of the "rut" is what most hunters tend to call te rut wich in middle TN is usually is around the second week of November through the end of the month. For me the next two weeks are the best to hunt. this time is what every one call the pre- rut. I tend to get a lot more reaction to calls during this time. Now that said on my farm in Dickson County we are starting to see the bucks breaking up from their bachelor groups. Have also found a hot scrape line in the last week. Waiting till after youth hunt to check trail cams.

I will agree with you about the rut usually being around the second to third week in November. I just came back last week from East NC and AT NIGHT you could still see bucks together. But I did find a hot scrape line and I killed the buck, a management buck 4 1/2 year old with four points on one side and just a 2 point on the other, that was working the line. His neck was not swelled yet and he did not really stink but he was trailing like a dog with his head to the ground and started across a soy bean field and when he stopped at 275 yards I unleashed the 264 Win mag on him and he was dead before he hit the ground.

I did kill another 6 point buck the same evening just before dark in a path between two cut-overs and his neck was not swelled either.

These were the only deer I saw in daylight.

It was a crazy week of hunting. I have hunted this area for over 25 years and this year the deer were just not moving during the day light. There are so many acorns this year they don't have to move to eat. They were not coming out to the corp fields much at all even at night. It is all cut-over type woods that is pine with oaks left but they are so thick you can't see three feet in them so you can't really hunt deer in them.

Find the white oaks and you will find the deer this year. They will eat white oak acorns before they will come to a crop field of any sort.

I am heading back to east NC next week for two weeks to hunt.

Edited by 1shot

Saw a buck chasing a doe in circles in a field yesterday. That is the first sign I have seen. I also had a driver tell me he saw a buck chase a doe across the road this week. My hunting buddy has also had young bucks licking Tinks 69 off limbs by his stand. The bucks are ready, the does are not.

We should be in pre-rut right now. Usually in Montgomery county the rut is in full swing during muzzle loader season. I agree with Jcochran88, I like hunting the pre-rut a lot. The next 4 weeks should be good pre rut and rut.

I hunted just about evey day this past week morning and afternoon and did not see a deer. usually where I hunt at you at least see a bunch of does.

I know this is NH so kind of interresting to compare. Same here too. No sign of the rut. Three solid weeks of scouting showing plenty of fresh sign, and now nothing. Just vanished. Our ML season just opened yesterday and it's like the deer are nowhere to be found. Not pressured out either as I hunt alone and have about 600 acres to hunt. Maybe another week and a half for rut here. You guys keep sending up the warm weather! 70 deg Sat! Usually the first real cold snap sets it off.

Guest clutepc

this being my first year I have no idea what to expect really, read and seen video of what can happen but I'm really curious if being on pressured WMA land changes how much they travel and come out of the secluded areas.

Edited by clutepc
Guest clutepc
Well I saw rubs everywhere today. I even saw the first active scape of the year. We heard a buck grunt in standing corn today and saw a big buck running across a field at lunch time with his nose to the ground.

IT IS GETTING CLOSE!

Good to hear!!

Guest Jcochran88

Found a whole new scrape line down the edge of a logging road. Had active scrapes every 30 or so yards for about 150 yrds.

Give you one guess where I hung my stand for Saturday!!!

I think it's still a tad early. I saw four mature does yesterday in a group running their morning jog. They didn't seem nervous or swollen at all. NO scrapes from this year at all, but I am on two big rubs that have to be the same bruiser. I'm hoping it will hold out for three weeks.... LBL quota hunt :hiding: