Question for any police guys...

creeky

I was flipping channels last night as my 10 year son was getting ready for bed. I stopped on "Detroit SWAT" and me and him watched them go into two houses to serve warrents. In both cases it was in the middle of the night, and the person they are after wasn't home. The people there where not arrested, and they left.

Then my son asks me... "Dad, who is going to pay for the door?"

My reply... "Uh... I guess the police will son. I'm not sure." Then he says "What are they going to do for the rest of the night?"

Uh?!? I didn't really know what to say. I mean They knocked the leaving crap

out of the door. Busted the door jams as well as the glass in the doors. Plus it was snowing outside.

So I was just wondering...

Who pays and fixes the door?

How is that handled?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching the same thing last night.

Its like when the police have a search warrant and find nothing after tearing apart the house, who pays for that? I could understand if they found something the bad guys would pay, but if you find nothing?

Guest looneeetunes

and another side to that story would be, for instance i have never had that happen and a great chance it will never. dont put yourself in a situation that the police would have to serve a warrant like that or allow anyone in your home who may have a warrant served like that...lol i know that is a bit fasicious, but that was my first thought

dont put yourself in a situation that the police would have to serve a warrant like that or allow anyone in your home who may have a warrant

And there is no record of the man breaking down a door and causing a death among those in a MISTAKEN address.

And there is no record of the man breaking down a door and causing a death among those in a MISTAKEN address.

Are you thinking of an incident in Lebanon, TN some time back when a man was killed trying to defend his home from intruders who happened to be SWAT at the wrong house? Don't tell the widow it can't happen. Just be sure you're not hard of hearing, so you can hear them identify themselves as police among all the background screams and breaking windows.

Are you thinking of an incident in Lebanon, TN some time back when a man was killed trying to defend his home from intruders who happened to be SWAT at the wrong house? Don't tell the widow it can't happen. Just be sure you're not hard of hearing, so you can hear them identify themselves as police among all the background screams and breaking windows.

It’s happened in other places also. I have never been able to understand how a Police Chief or a Sheriff could be so ignorant as to allow Officers to wear subdued uniforms and masks on raids. If the warrant is important enough to put your Officers life in danger the people inside should at least be able to recognize them as Police officers when they come through the door.

I have been on many and we wore regular uniforms. We usually didn’t do a drug raid unless we had an undercover Officer or informant inside the house.

If I remember correctly the Lt. in charge of the raid in Lebanon was arrested. But I think the charges were eventually dropped.

Guest GlocKingTN

I believe its the same way here. As long as the LEO has probable cause(warrant), they may enter at any given time to serve that warrant. And anything they do while serving that warrant is within the law, to a certain extent Im sure!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shadow12

From experience, the city pays the bill. At least if the badguy is a renter, if you own it, i'm not sure. If it is a mistaken address, the city will also pay and will have someone come right then to get it fixed, at least enough to keep you safe.

Police have to jump through alot of hoops to get a no knock warrant, even still mistakes happen. After all we are only human, except the rookies.

Guest shadow12

By law, The police have to show that there is suffficent reason to believe that by knocking, evidence will be destroyed or that it poses a much greater danger to officers. All warrants have to be sworn to in front of a judge or magistrate. If you have been the victim of someone who did not follow the correct path, get a lawyer. You may not get much money, but it will pay for your damage and lawyer bills.

Guest Engloid
It’s happened in other places also. I have never been able to understand how a Police Chief or a Sheriff could be so ignorant as to allow Officers to wear subdued uniforms and masks on raids. If the warrant is important enough to put your Officers life in danger the people inside should at least be able to recognize them as Police officers when they come through the door.

I think they do it because when the case goes to court, none of the cops can be identified by those in the house. They can't say which officer broke the door down, or anything like that.

Guest Phantom6
The Rabbi wrote: When cops broke down my door at 10pm no one said a word about paying for damage and I footed the bill.

Then that's your own fault. I'd have been at the agency's offices the next day with the bill for repairs and a cell phone with the local news outlets on speed dial. If that didn't work, the next call would be to an attorney. I know you said you don't have insurance for your gunshop which I still find difficult to swallow but surely you DO know an attorney.

I think they do it because when the case goes to court, none of the cops can be identified by those in the house. They can't say which officer broke the door down, or anything like that.

Yes, it's an anti-reprisal thing but it has nothing to do with liability. These guys and gals that do these high risk entry activities can become targets for the miscreants they attempt to apprehend who don't understand that it's just business, take things personally and vow retribution. If you are going to do the crime you need to be able to accept the consequences which may include but not be limited to arrest or imprisonment and paying for your own freakin' door repair. Sucks to be you Mr./Ms. BG. It's known as a cost of doing business.

Then that's your own fault. I'd have been at the agency's offices the next day with the bill for repairs and a cell phone with the local news outlets on speed dial. If that didn't work, the next call would be to an attorney. I know you said you don't have insurance for your gunshop which I still find difficult to swallow but surely you DO know an attorney.

I just don't know what I would do without your sage advice. Thanks!

NP. Remind me how many years you've spent doing property management again.

<chirp chirp>

I take that as none.

I knew there were people who blathered their ignorant opinions all over and spouted stuff based on no experience or knowledge. But I always thought they were Democrats.....