Would like opinions.

shiloh214

I have a dilemma. My wife is funding me a new handgun for our Anniversary / Christmas (and to replace my Glock G26 she has confiscated). I have the following choices narrowed down for an EDC that is easily concealed (I don't open carry because of people freaking out).

My choices are a:

Walther PPS 9MM NIB - 3 mags - $650 out the door

Colt Defender NIB - $890 out the door

Kimber Eclipse Ultra II - Used - $900

Does anyone on the board have experience with any of these?

Thanks in advance

Shiloh214

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of the three, I would go with the Eclipse, if it has the internal extractor they are awesome little 1911's

I'm almost at a +1

First let me say you would be hardpressed to find a bigger 1911 fan than me, I have owned and still own about every flavor of 1911 you could imagine and carry nothing else. But the fact is that the smaller the 1911 the larger your chances become of having running problems. Now, don't misunderstand me, they will all run and run as reliable as anything else, but it may take some tweeking (maybe). Most people are not willing to mess with it.

So, you may have a better shot of a gun running 100% out of the box with the walther.

I'm almost at a +1

First let me say you would be hardpressed to find a bigger 1911 fan than me, I have owned and still own about every flavor of 1911 you could imagine and carry nothing else. But the fact is that the smaller the 1911 the larger your chances become of having running problems. Now, don't misunderstand me, they will all run and run as reliable as anything else, but it may take some tweeking (maybe). Most people are not willing to mess with it.

So, you may have a better shot of a gun running 100% out of the box with the walther.

Tim,

I agree with you, having said that I have owned an Ultra Carry 2, while a friend had the Eclipse, the Eclipse was made of stainless steel and I liked it much better, they were both reliable and accurate little 1911's personally I will never buy another 1911 with an officer frame or a slide and barrel length of less than 4.25, but for the money he is spending I like the Eclipse, the ones with the internal extractor at least in my experience have been very, very reliable

Tim,

I agree with you, having said that I have owned an Ultra Carry 2, while a friend had the Eclipse, the Eclipse was made of stainless steel and I liked it much better, they were both reliable and accurate little 1911's personally I will never buy another 1911 with an officer frame or a slide and barrel length of less than 4.25, but for the money he is spending I like the Eclipse, the ones with the internal extractor at least in my experience have been very, very reliable

Yep, I had an ultra CDP for a while and it ran great for me. But when my wife shot it, it would short stroke and malfunction. They are really sensitive to limp wristing. And I have to say that gave me pause as a carry gun because in an emergency who knows what your grip will be like. So, you can lighten up the recoil and mainspring to help the short stroke problem but if you go too far the slide can start to outrun the mag if you're not careful. I could go on and on and on about this crap but I wont.:rolleyes::blah::rolleyes::biglol:

I really like my 1911's. I mean Really LIke My 1911"s. But unless you're very, very good with one; it's not the best carry for everyone. You mentioned a G26. You are obviously familiar with a DAO firearm. Why not continue to use that as a carry? Get something you're confident with and be safe. Then get a good Colt, Kimber, or whatever you like. And then have a great time with it.

By the way, I take my own advice; my primary carry piece is an xd9sc.