Shall Inform...

• Administrator

Tennessee law does not require that you inform an officer that you are carrying, but in my opinion it's a good idea. Yesterday I had an experience that more or less reinforces my opinion. :D

On my way home from work I had to stop by a local store to pick up a few things. The particulars of the incident are irrelevant and I'd rather avoid discussing them because (a.) they wouldn't be politically correct and (b.) they are fairly irrelevant to the case. Suffice it to say that a person of a different ethnicity than me thought that I didn't give them sufficient time to get through a crosswalk area and tried to cause a confrontation. I refused to participate, walked straight way into the store, and they thought they would inconvenience me by involving the police.

When I returned to my vehicle, I found a local patrol car waiting. The officer was extremely polite and seemed to be predisposed to thinking that his involvement was completely unwarranted before he and I even began to chat. VERY nice fellow. Seriously one of the most professional officers I've ever had the pleasure of talking with.

As is routine, he did ask if he could see my driver's license so that he could make sure I wasn't wanted for any murders or anything (which he and I both laughed at). At that time I felt it was best to inform him of the particulars.

"I just want you to know, before I reach for my wallet, that I have a handgun carry permit and that I am armed. My sidearm is back near where my wallet is. Do you want me to get my wallet or do you prefer to get it?"

This officer never missed a beat. He smiled, and told me "You don't draw your's and I won't draw mine. Deal?"

We both laughed, I got my wallet, handed him both my license and my permit and he radioed in the information. While we waited for his dispatcher to clear me, we chatted a bit more about 'nothing in particular' ;) and then with a handshake and a friendly wave from him as he drove away, that was that.

Bottom line? Again... VERY nice officer. I hated for him that he was having to deal with what amounted to someone else's poor attempt at using the police to harass a citizen, and he hated for me that I had to go through the motions. He knew exactly what was up and apologized for me having to waste my time.

He thanked me for telling him that I was armed, I thanked him for doing his job, and that was all there was to it. :(

I've heard a lot of different stories about how people have gotten harassed by the police after they told them that they had a handgun carry permit and were armed. I guess every officer is different, but this gentleman was the consummate professional and never batted an eye. If anything, I dare say that he respected me more for telling him and perhaps even considered the fact that the vast majority of us permit holders are law abiding citizens.

I really appreciated the way the situation was handled and will very likely be writing a letter of thanks to the local PD and mention this officer's name. He's a credit to his agency.

:up:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If an officer "runs" your DL, it will show that you have a permit. I agree with you, it's better to let them know rather than making them ask.

Please do write that letter or call the department. As an ex-cop, I can tell you that it will mean a lot. Too many call to complain, but few go to the trouble to say thanks.

I have had positive experiences because of telling a cop I was armed, too.

Once, in my Mustang, doing 60 in a 35, with the wrong tags, I got pulled over in Wilson county.. It was late and I had just got the car going so I didn't have valid tags for it. I put tags from my other car on it. When I got pulled over I told him I was armed and where my gun is, and also told him about the wrong tags being on the car, and he thanked me for my honesty. He never ran the tag and let me go with just telling me "get your tags, Mr. Havron." And then he drove off..actually they both drove off since two units pulled me over :up:

I have a friend who is a LEO in North Carolina. If possible, he generally lets you go with a warning when he finds out you have a handgun permit.

As I keep telling folks, a carry permit is basically a good citizenship certification. Why mess with a good citizen?

I have a friend who is a LEO in North Carolina. If possible, he generally lets you go with a warning when he finds out you have a handgun permit.

As I keep telling folks, a carry permit is basically a good citizenship certification. Why mess with a good citizen?

I like that line of thinking.:up:

I always inform, as a courtsey to the officer and for my safety of course. If you don't tell them that you're armed, reach for your wallet, your cover garmet moves, and then they see a gun - then things might not turn out the way you want.

I have always had a positive response from police officers when I tell them I have a carry permit. Last year I was in my big truck going east on 50 outside of Columbia.Tn and a young guy going west lost control of his mustang went across my lane, spun around 3 or 4 times on the shoulder and came back into my lane and we hit left front fender to left front fender, thank the Lord we were almost stopped when we hit. Since I was driving a commercial vehicle the State Trooper had to inspect my paperwork and I told the State Trooper I had a carry permit, but I was not carrying (company rules), and he said that he is not worried about people that has a carry permit, it is the people without them and carrying that gets his attention.

Great story, great to hear, not that I want to get pulled over anytime soon or ever for that matter, I will inform, because if they run you, they will see it. Better to know on the front end.

I guess the same is true with a road block. Do run through those from time to time. Guess I will be interior lights on, hands on the steering wheel, informing first and doing as instructed to get the dl and permit!

also, it seems that it would put the officer at ease, to know that the person he or she is dealing with is a law abiding citizen, has been trained to some degree and is forthcoming.

I asked several Memphis cops, I work at a bank and they come in or stop by from time to time, about what to do, they all said they like to know before they get down to business.

Guest GlocKingTN
I have always had a positive response from police officers when I tell them I have a carry permit. Last year I was in my big truck going east on 50 outside of Columbia.Tn and a young guy going west lost control of his mustang went across my lane, spun around 3 or 4 times on the shoulder and came back into my lane and we hit left front fender to left front fender, thank the Lord we were almost stopped when we hit. Since I was driving a commercial vehicle the State Trooper had to inspect my paperwork and I told the State Trooper I had a carry permit, but I was not carrying (company rules), and he said that he is not worried about people that has a carry permit, it is the people without them and carrying that gets his attention.

A piece of advice ZZRguy....carrying a weapon in a commercial vehicle is a federal offense. It is considered a class A felony(jail time). You said you didnt have yours because of company policy, that is one policy that should be followed. Actually, a tire knocker(billy club), is considered a illegal weapon. But that one is overlooked mostly. Anyway, just thought I would share this with you and everyone else. I also drive a commercial vehicle and I learned the hard way in West Virginia about 7 years ago! It was not pretty. But I did get out of it.

A piece of advice ZZRguy....carrying a weapon in a commercial vehicle is a federal offense. It is considered a class A felony(jail time). You said you didnt have yours because of company policy, that is one policy that should be followed. Actually, a tire knocker(billy club), is considered a illegal weapon. But that one is overlooked mostly. Anyway, just thought I would share this with you and everyone else. I also drive a commercial vehicle and I learned the hard way in West Virginia about 7 years ago! It was not pretty. But I did get out of it.

Thanks for the reply, but it is not against the law if you have a valid permit for the state you are in. I have asked several State Troopers and DOT officers ( before they merged ), and I also talked to Gene Kennedy who wrote a book called Legally Armed in Tennessee and they all say the same thing. A month or so ago a driver at our Birmingham plant shot two of his fingers off while "cleaning" his gun in the truck at a customers warehouse, and the police dept. in Al. said that is not against the law as long as you have a permit. We almost lost one of our biggest customers in Al. so they have put the fear of God about firearms on property and in trucks. Thanks Again, Charles

Actually it's not a felony, as long as you have a permit just the same as if you were in your car, or walking down the street, and your permit is valid in the state you are carrying the weapon in.. there aren't any laws anywhere that state it's illegal to carry a firearm in a commercial vehicle. I've researched the crap out of that.

What kind of weapon were you carrying? The billy club? What happened in your situation?

Guest GlocKingTN
Thanks for the reply, but it is not against the law if you have a valid permit for the state you are in. I have asked several State Troopers and DOT officers ( before they merged ), and I also talked to Gene Kennedy who wrote a book called Legally Armed in Tennessee and they all say the same thing. A month or so ago a driver at our Birmingham plant shot two of his fingers off while "cleaning" his gun in the truck at a customers warehouse, and the police dept. in Al. said that is not against the law as long as you have a permit. We almost lost one of our biggest customers in Al. so they have put the fear of God about firearms on property and in trucks. Thanks Again, Charles

I do appologize for the previous statement. You are correct! I looked it up and it isnt illegal. I always understood it was illegal. Guess I was mis-informed! Again, I appologize!

I am a retired truck driver and i remember when i started driving in 1970 it stated NO FIREARMS ALLOWED IN COMMERCIAL VEHICLES in the DOT manual

But i have seen this come up on a few forums and i have looked in the DOT manual within the last year and cannot find that statement anywhere! So it would seem sometime within the last 36 years that rule was dropped and not put in the DOT manual.

If i had known 36 years ago this was going to come up i would have saved the manual that was printed around 1970.

BUT also in 1970 i don,t know anyone that had a carry permit back in 1970.

I don,t know all the rules now but there used to be 2 sets of Rules! One if you only drove within the state you lived in and another set of rules if you crossed over State lines.

I am a retired truck driver and i remember when i started driving in 1970 it stated NO FIREARMS ALLOWED IN COMMERCIAL VEHICLES in the DOT manual

But i have seen this come up on a few forums and i have looked in the DOT manual within the last year and cannot find that statement anywhere! So it would seem sometime within the last 36 years that rule was dropped and not put in the DOT manual.

If i had known 36 years ago this was going to come up i would have saved the manual that was printed around 1970.

BUT also in 1970 i don,t know anyone that had a carry permit back in 1970.

I don,t know all the rules now but there used to be 2 sets of Rules! One if you only drove within the state you lived in and another set of rules if you crossed over State lines.

You don't even have to go back all the way to 1970, I have a DOT rulebook around here somewhere from as recent as 1997 that states no firearms in trucks.

• 10 months later...

Hmmm...I've never even thought about this. I've always kept my mouth shut to hopefully avoid the proverbial can of worms. Having read too many stories of some LEOs wanting to "hold on" to the gun until the traffic stop is finished, I've always preferred as little gun handling as possible, especially with some of our local cops.

Guest canynracer

I keep my HCP behind my DL...I hand them both to the officer when they request my DL...informing him/her without verbally saying it.

I think they only know you have an hcp is if they run your DL...if they dont have your DL yet, they dont know...

good story Tungsten, glad it all worked out, and you got a nice officer.

Guest ETS_Inc

For those of you who do travel out of state, keep in mind that the "duty to inform" laws vary from State-to-State. There are some States which require you to notify the officer of your permit, even if you aren't carrying at the time.

i asked an LEO about this very situation. her reply was its nice to inform, and used the scenario of its 3am in the morning, your going down a dark road and get stopped. we converse, and i ask you to step out of the car and into my headlights for better visibility. she said, what if your legally carrying, and you have not told me that and as you exit your vehicle i see your weapon. what is going to happen next?

i have long said show it even if you arent carrying. its simple. plus, in the above situation, it might save you the pleasure of looking down the barrel of a service weapon.

what she said made perfect sense if you stop and think about it. as soon as your stopped, you have the perfect chance to tell the LEO that your legally armed. you do not know what call the officer just came from, and its possible that this officer that has stopped you may have had a gun involved in a traffic stop before and it could have been a bad outcome.

please tell them. it has gotten me out of a few tickets.

i can almost promise you that my hcp instructor stated it was the law or a provision of a hcp(dont remember how he worded it) that you must tell an officer you are carrying.

though it dont matter to me if is or isnt,i would.

nice to hear a few stories on this that are good :D