Need Optic Advise

Guest adamoxtwo

Guest adamoxtwo

Ok so today I shot at another deer and shot over it's back. I bought a Mossberg Whitetail lightning combo for $299, so needless to say the Scope is junk. After a bore sighting I was shooting 2' high. I took it to the range and Zeroed it in at 100yrds (had to do major adjustment's) and then today I had a 20 yard shot that went about a foot over the deer. I only know this because it hit the tree and I saw the bark fly. I know it wasn't me because I was resting on my blind and took a very comfortable shot. I am trying to find out if anyone has had an experience with this rifle so I can try to find a new Scope. Oh Yeah I was using the same box of ammo. Remmington .270 130gr. So I don't believe it was the ammo.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bass Pro or Gander has Leupolds on sale for $159 if my memory serves (probably a basic one, but they are all good from what I have heard)....also I got a cheapy Centerpoint scope from wal-mart its a 3-9x and it seems to be of a really good build quality and its only $60...comes with rings, batteries, lifetime warranty and is rated up to a 416 rigby. (I used it on my Mosin)

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
info
right now it's a toss up between a leupold and a nikon.

You sighted the scope in at 100 yards, you shot a foot over a deer at 20 yards (that’s about two feet off target at 20 yards) and you know it wasn’t you. Then that’s not a scope error. Either all the components are rattling around inside the scope or the scope mounts are loose. :drama:

If you are comparing Leupold and Nikon in a local store I would assume you are comparing the 3X9 VX-I Leupold to the 3X9 Nikon BuckMaster and are looking in the $200 range. Either of those scopes will work fine. I made that comparison in the store and picked the Leupold. However, I didn’t see much difference; I picked Leupold for other reasons. I have owned many scopes and have two Leupolds and a Simmons right now. You get what you pay for.

Check you mounts, and don’t skimp on bases and rings when you buy your scope. If your scope moves it’s really pointless what brand you buy or how much you spend.

Guest Jcochran88

Check you mounts, and don’t skimp on bases and rings when you buy your scope. If your scope moves it’s really pointless what brand you buy or how much you spend.

Pretty much sums it up right there.

Guest adamoxtwo

I understand that if sighted in at 100yds you have to aim a lot lower at 20yds. Yesterday I went out and shot it again, and this scope is not that great. I believe it's moving quite a bit. I checked the rings and they are tight. I haven't knocked the rifle at all and it's shooting left now as well as high @ 100. I'm gonna be safe on this and just replace the Scope and Rings with known quality. I mean how good is the stock Mossberg Scope?

Guest adamoxtwo
Bass Pro or Gander has Leupolds on sale for $159 if my memory serves (probably a basic one, but they are all good from what I have heard)....also I got a cheapy Centerpoint scope from wal-mart its a 3-9x and it seems to be of a really good build quality and its only $60...comes with rings, batteries, lifetime warranty and is rated up to a 416 rigby. (I used it on my Mosin)

I went to Bass Pro and that $159 leupold was sold out already. I did look at the Nikon Buckmaster and it was 209 so I'm thinking that I will check that one out and see the review's on it.

If you are ZERO at 100 yards you shouldnt have to adjust either way at 20 yards.Sounds like a major scope and or mount problem.Make sure rings and mount screws are tight.

When you are shooting at 100 yards, are you shooting one shot and adjusting? If you are, I'd suggest you shoot a three shot group and see what you have. If you aren't getting any kind of a group, grab the scope and try to move it. I've seen several rifles with the bases not screwed securely to the reciever. If you determine the mounts are secured to the reciever, the rings are secured to the mounts, and the scope is mounted firmly in the rings, you have a scope problem.

Don't wast your money on those Leupold Rifleman scopes. They are just a very cheap scope Leupold put their name on for places like Bass pro. If you want a good scope for not a lot of money get a Bushnell 3200. I would get a 50mm head also for the light gathering. You should be able to find a 3-9X50 Bushnell 3200 on the internet for around $225.00 to your door. You will need some new mounts. The mounts and rings that come on those rifles are not all that good. The bases might work but you will need to remove the screws and put some thread lock on them and replace them. For that Weaver style base I would get some B-Square rings. They have 4 screws on the rings that really hold a scope well. Those rifle do shoot well. I have sighted in a number of them for people.

Guest adamoxtwo

I will look into that Bushnell 3200. My Friend just told me of a new scope comming out on the market. His brother in law is involved and they are going to run about $400. It's have a Mil Red Dot 40mm head, and twist adjustment's. It's more of a military tactical Scope. He is getting me some literature. Once I receive it I will post the Specs and Pics on line with the contact info if anyone is interested. I'm not sure what the rules on the site are, so I will post a new thread on the forum and if anyone wants the information I will PM them with it.

I know the "get what you pay for" rule holds true with optics and I have 3 Leupold VXIII's, 2 Burris Fullfield 3x9's and a Bushnell 3200 Firefly but I am fond of one of the cheapest scopes I ever purchased - Hawke. Hawke Ballistic MAP8 Plex Riflescopes - Ballistic MAP8 Plex riflescopes offer superb optics, premium features, and computer programmable ballistic reticles at a bargain price.

For me these have been flawless and at a price point hard to believe.

Guest adamoxtwo
I know the "get what you pay for" rule holds true with optics and I have 3 Leupold VXIII's, 2 Burris Fullfield 3x9's and a Bushnell 3200 Firefly but I am fond of one of the cheapest scopes I ever purchased - Hawke. Hawke Ballistic MAP8 Plex Riflescopes - Ballistic MAP8 Plex riflescopes offer superb optics, premium features, and computer programmable ballistic reticles at a bargain price.

For me these have been flawless and at a price point hard to believe.

Did you use the software download from the Sight?? If so How accurate was it?

No I did not, although it appears to be a neat tool. I got the mil-dot reticles for my Rem 700 LTR in .308. For the full selection and details on the Hawke scopes go to - Hawke Riflescopes - Hawke Sport Optics are Quality Riflescopes with Ballistic Reticles and Repeatable Settings.

As compared to cheap or low-end scope made in China, these really are a great bargain.

Do your research adamoxtwo, last thing you need is to spend money twice. However the Hawke scopes are a fantastic value. Sniper Central did a review on them - Hawke Frontier 6-24x50mm SF Rifle Scope

Now, regardless of what you may purchase, I recommend removing the base from the rifle and cleaning everything with alcohol and remounting the base insuring you apply locktite. A weaver style one piece would be best if you can find one. Then, having a solid base platform, you can eliminate the variables to resolve your accuracy issue. Good luck brother

Guest adamoxtwo

I was planning on replacing the mount and rings when I purchased a new scope. With a cheap combo I don't want to take any chances. Thanks all for your advice.

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to check out www.opticstalk.com if you are doing research on buying a scope. Lots of guys with tons of experience over there. I bought a Bushnell Elite 4200 3X9X40 for $239 plus shipping off the net and am very pleased. I also own Leupold Vari Xlll and Nikon. Good Luck with your scope purchase.