.45acp/9mm conversion barrel?

Guest pelican

Guest pelican

Does anyone make a 1911 type gun that can be converted to shoot 9mm also? I have a couple XD's in .40 with 9mm conversion barrels, so I was wondering if any maker makes a .45acp/ 9mm conversion. Seems like a reasonable pairing.

Anybody?

Thanks, Robert

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a kit. I believe Tussey makes it. The problem is it is a complete upper, you can't just drop in the barrel. You then have to have a 'smith fit it to your lower. After all is said and done you could have bought a very nice 9mm because the cost will be somehere north of $700.00.

As tntnixon says, it's going to be cheaper if not better in most case to just buy a seperate gun. I don't know of one readily available now but Colt has made and still makes (I think) 1911 style 9mm. And there are others on the market as well, just do a little searching and you'll find one.

As tntnixon says, it's going to be cheaper if not better in most case to just buy a seperate gun. I don't know of one readily available now but Colt has made and still makes (I think) 1911 style 9mm. And there are others on the market as well, just do a little searching and you'll find one.

The only people I know, for sure, make a 9mm 1911 are Springfield in their "loaded" version and Wilson in their "Special Ops 9". Colt is only making .45ACP, 10mm, and .38 super. Like another poster noted, reliability has been an issue, that's probably why most manufacturers have quit making them.

There are too many reliable 9mm's available (HK, Glock, S&W, Beretta, SA, Sig) to waste your money on a weapon that may, and probably will, fail you when you need it. If you want a weapon like that, buy a Jennings/Bryco (Steve McNair's girlfriend bought her's for $100.00).

Guest pelican

Thanks, guys, I knew someone here would lift the veil of ignorance from my face. I feel soooo much better!

Now I can go buy a new gun and feel completely justified cause they just don't make a good conversion.

Hot dog!

Thanks, Robert.

I have a Smith and Wesson Pro 1911 9mm, and it's one of my favorite handguns. I do not carry it daily (it's just too nice, honestly, and I don't carry 9mm typically, regardless), but I'll say this:

Conversions do not commonly work well, but many manufacturers have overcome this. S&W did a great job in designing their Pro 9, as Springfield did as well. I've never shot a Para Ordnance 1911 9mm, but I'm sure that it's decent (and reliable), as I've got another Para that is a rock solid platform.

My Pro 9 is a shooter, and is the most accurate pistol that I've got (and one of the most that I've ever shot). It truly is a tac-driver in the hands of someone (besides myself, :rolleyes: ) that is super-accurate with this platform. I've never had a problem with it, it feeds everything, ejection is non-problematic, and I've run crap ammo through it, as well as main-market stuff.

Here is what it looks like, to save people time (if they wanted to see it). A little pricey, but an awesome gun, and honestly above the Springfield 1911 9mm (that is also nice).

SM178017.jpg

Guest The Highlander

I was going to mention the Springfield and Para guns, but someone beat me to it. I think Kimber also chambers some 1911's in 9mm, I'd be surprised if they don't. Can't verify it right now, their website is apparently down. My Kimbers are tack-drivers.

While I love the 1911 platform, and I actually really like the 9mm (it's only been doing the job for over 100 years, and is better now than ever), I don't own a 1911 9mm. Not sure why, I'll have to fix that.

If you like the feel of a Commander size 1911, with all the wondernine features like higher capacity, ambi safety, great sights, and so on, I'd recommend you look at the Ruger SR9. I bought one simply because the first one I picked up felt almost exactly like a 1911 Commander. The grip angle, sights, etc. are perfect for me.

Mine is a post-recall build, and has been 100% reliable. Interestingly, with my preferred rounds, it came out of the box dead on at 7 yards. I have a Viridian green laser for it as well. Looks and carries great.

The Highlander