CZ questions

Kelemvor

I am one "sold bass guitar" away from purchasing my first pistol...ever. I have set my sights upon the CZ 75D PCR for its reputation, capacity, alloy frame, ambidextrous decocker, and the general solid feel of the CZ 75 series in my hand.

Has anyone here shot a PCR and what were your general impressions of the gun? Is the size difference between it and the SP-01 series big enough to merit losing 4rds capacity? Is the lack of an accessory rail on the frame a big deal when it comes to carry?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the lack of an accessory rail on the frame a big deal when it comes to carry?

Only if you plan to carry with an accessory mounted on your gun. I've heard of people carrying with weapon lights mounted, but that seems kind of pointless to me. I have only seen one or two holsters that will allow that, anyway.

I've shot a few CZ 75's and many people own CZ products on this forum. If you are looking for a reliable, great shooting firearm, especially for your first, then you're looking in a good spot.

CZ vs SP-101......hands down personal opinion goes to the CZ. The whole "center bore axis with the hand" thing is dominate in the grip with the CZ vs. the SP-101. Shooting wise, I feel the CZ is a slight bit sharper of a recoil vs. the SP....BUT....it's really not noticable to most so I doubt you'll be able to tell. Both are tack drivers at 15yrds and neither I've fired have had any issues or malfunctions. Still the CZ just stands out.

Now don't get me wrong, the SP-101 is a fine handgun as well but if your only worried about capacity issues between the two and you don't feel 14rds is enough, then go with the SP-101. My Glock 26 has it's factory 10rd mags in it for daily carry with a 15rd G19 mag for back up. It's what you feel you're comfortable with in the end though.

While being an armed citizen, your primary thoughts for having to use your pistol should be to stop an immediate threat or to creat "cover fire" to find an exit. Personal opinion, you shouldn't need to carry enough ammo to fight a war, but enough (at least 1 mag) to help with clearing a possible malfunction......thought many will dissagree with me.....:death:

:drama: Hope my blabbin' help some.....

I LOVE CZ's, and have had several.

The PCR is a nice gun, that shares most of the 75's best features, including the grip/pointability. For ME though, the grip is just a bit too short, but I have HUGE hands. I'd carry one in a heartbeat, but for the SLIGHT improvement in conceal-ability the shortened grip offers I'd STILL take the 75 most of the time if they were sitting side by side. But that's just me. I could also be perfectly happy with the PCR in the absence of the full size 75 though!

As for a rail, I've never used any that I had. I'm now of the opinion that for me, the only time I'd use a rail is on a nightstand gun, or in a zombie attack, so that feature on a gun means little to me, so the SP series and others, though still fine guns, aren't for me.

I have had a PO1 before, which is a lot like the PCR. I liked it a lot and it had a lot of good qualities. It did point well and was 100% reliable just like my 75B had been. I wound up selling it to a friend because I also had several SW 3rd gen guns and a Glock 19 at the same time. I am just a 3rd gen SW & Glock fan. Even though both SW and CZ's are traditional DA/SA, I did have trouble with the longer trigger reach on the PCR/75 guns. The Glock was noticeably lighter so the G19 got carried more. I have now upgraded to the G27....but, for the 75 series it is the one I wish I had kept.

From shooting a PCR: like all CZ's try to grab one that displays minimal "trigger-camming", they all do it, just some more than others, you want one that doesn't do it very much... Once the trigger breaks in a bit they are really accurate, reliable guns.

If it's for EDC the smaller size and lighter weight is worth more than those 4 rounds IMO.

You won't miss the rail as long as it won't be pulling double duty as a home defense gun, if it may, IMO always nice to have the ability to slap a light on it if you chose to...

Edited by CK1
From shooting a PCR: like all CZ's try to grab one that displays minimal "trigger-camming", they all do it, just some more than others, you want one that doesn't do it very much... Once the trigger breaks in a bit they are really accurate, reliable guns.

If it's for EDC the smaller size and lighter weight is worth more than those 4 rounds IMO.

You won't miss the rail as long as it won't be pulling double duty as a home defense gun, if it may, IMO always nice to have the ability to slap a light on it if you chose to...

What exactly is "trigger-camming"?

Also, I've been thinking about getting a 75BD so I can get some of the 25rd mags for home and use the 16's for carry. Am I correct in assuming the 25rd'er would have about a 3/4" gap between the bottom of the grip and the baseplate of the mag?

Guest mikedwood

I have a CZ P0-1 and it's a great gun. I'd carry it if I didnt own a G26 as well and could find a good holster for it.

Love the way it feels and shoots. I love CZ's almost as much as I love Glocks :slap: and that is ALOT.

I don't think a rail has any benefit for a for a carry gun.

I have 4 CZs. Love every one of them, even the 52! The gun is reliable, and accurate, but for me the grips are great. They just seem to fit me. I suppose that is quite accurate, and with the PO-1, the grip is shorter, but does not seem to be uncomfortable like the short glock. At least for me.

What exactly is "trigger-camming"?

Also, I've been thinking about getting a 75BD so I can get some of the 25rd mags for home and use the 16's for carry. Am I correct in assuming the 25rd'er would have about a 3/4" gap between the bottom of the grip and the baseplate of the mag?

CZ "trigger-camming" or also known as "hammer-camming" is the way in which their hammers move as you're pulling the triggers on them do to how their hammer interacts with the sear.

There's 3 types: positive engagement; means the hammer moves back as you pull, which in bad cases sucks as it keeps the break from being crisp and makes holding sight alignment a tad more difficult, but mostly just feels squirrly, neutral engagement; which means the hammer barely moves or doesn't move at all and which is the most desirable obviously; negative engagement; which means the hammer moves towards the slide/firing pin which aside from feeling squirrly is super DANGEROUS as it means the hammer may be able to fall off the sear on it's own (this is usually caused by a f'ed up trigger job or just really super poor fitting).

In double-action it's hard to notice as the double-action pull itself is kind of distracting, but in single-action mode it rears it's ugly head and you'll feel or see what I mean. Try a few different CZ's side by side and you'll see that they're all slightly different in this regard.

Also, if those 25rd mags you're talking about are made by ProMag, forget it, they're junk, use only factory or Mec-Gar mags when your life depends on it as they are the only ones reliable enough to really trust (ask around about ProMag if you don't believe me...).

Good luck.

CZ "trigger-camming" or also known as "hammer-camming" is the way in which their hammers move as you're pulling the triggers on them do to how their hammer interacts with the sear.

There's 3 types: positive engagement; means the hammer moves back as you pull, which in bad cases sucks as it keeps the break from being crisp and makes holding sight alignment a tad more difficult, but mostly just feels squirrly, neutral engagement; which means the hammer barely moves or doesn't move at all and which is the most desirable obviously; negative engagement; which means the hammer moves towards the slide/firing pin which aside from feeling squirrly is super DANGEROUS as it means the hammer may be able to fall off the sear on it's own (this is usually caused by a f'ed up trigger job or just really super poor fitting).

In double-action it's hard to notice as the double-action pull itself is kind of distracting, but in single-action mode it rears it's ugly head and you'll feel or see what I mean. Try a few different CZ's side by side and you'll see that they're all slightly different in this regard.

Also, if those 25rd mags you're talking about are made by ProMag, forget it, they're junk, use only factory or Mec-Gar mags when your life depends on it as they are the only ones reliable enough to really trust (ask around about ProMag if you don't believe me...).

Good luck.

Oh, ok, I've read about that camming. I didn't know that it would differ between otherwise identical guns, that's a good tip. Thanks. The 25rd mags are CZ factory. You can order them off the site.