Should Christians Keep and Bear Arms

“If a thief be found breaking up, and be smitten

that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him.

If the sun be risen upon him, there shall be blood

shed for him; for he should make full restitution;

if he have nothing, then he shall be sold for his

theft.â€

Leviticus?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by Varmint viewpost.gif

theft.”

Sorry, that paragraph was cut and pasted from the original poster's text. Evidently neither one of us "spell checked" it.

Exodus 22: 2-3 per original post.

"Varmint"

Matthew 12:29 and Mark 3:27 mention the strong man. How else to be strong, except to be armed against the armed.

Luke 11:21 "When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:" KJV

Great stuff, mousegunner! And yes, there are armed people in my church. I counted at least 5 this past Sunday that I knew of.

haha...the snake comment is hilarious!!! I laughed for 5 mins....

definately no snakes at my church or you wouldn't see me there...not because the religion thing either....scared to death of them!!!! With or without a gun!!!

Great post guys!

Guest canynracer
Originally Posted by Varmint viewpost.gif

theft.”

Sorry, that paragraph was cut and pasted from the original poster's text. Evidently neither one of us "spell checked" it.

Exodus 22: 2-3 per original post.

"Varmint"

PS: The thief breaking up verses in Exodus 22:2 (up is in the old King James version).

:)

sorry, had to stir the pot

Varmint is correct about the daylight burglar. The point of the Bible verse is: If I can SEE the burglar, and see that he is either unarmed, or retreating, then I'm not allowed to use deadly force against him. But if he comes in the night, in the dark, and I can't see that he is unarmed, and I can't see if he is coming at me with the intent of violence, he might be; THEN I am allowed to used deadly force. I believe the old Bible law is identical to modern law in the states that have the "castle doctrine."

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MidTNShooter

Back in '96 when I received my CCW, there was a Pentacostal Preacher seated behind me. I asked him why "He" was getting the permit. He stated that he had to do whatever it took to get the seats full.

Take Care,

MTS

Great post, I carry in church also. I started after reading about a church shooting involving a police officer that was unarmed and couldnt do a thing but watch the shooter and pray he wasnt next. I also remember the article about sheep, sheep dogs and wolves. If you walk out your front door without your weapon , take a deep breath and say BAAAAHH.

Guest MidTNShooter

I too am a Gun-Tote'n-Christian, but could never image taking my weapon in a house of worship (any religion). I also never take my dip in church for the same reason. I'm not trying to soud snobby, but I would do the same for your house. ;)

Just a thought,

MTS

Guest Verbal Kint
I too am a Gun-Tote'n-Christian, but could never image taking my weapon in a house of worship (any religion). I also never take my dip in church for the same reason. I'm not trying to soud snobby, but I would do the same for your house. ;)

Just a thought,

MTS

I totally see where you are coming from on the respect issue, especially when relating it to being a guest in someone's house... however, let me pose this thought.

Maybe it's just the way I was raised in the Christian faith... but how is the church (building itself) any different than your home? Each is a physical structure, one more readily accessible to a larger mass of people to congregate. The "house of worship" could be your own living room if you wanted it to be.

I attended a Catholic private school, simply for the better education they provided, for almost 8 years. During that time, I was subject to learning their religion and taking their classes... as well as participating in giving confession. I always raised the question, why they thought my sins would be heard that much more or the process was that much better... or the relevance of an appointed mediator -- a role they held in such high esteem -- than if I were to speak God myself, from my heart, and repent my own sins. Needless to say, they didn't like my school of thought.

My point is... without trying to make this into a religious debate... is the church itself is just another building, IMO. What goes on inside that church, or anywhere else you gather, is what makes it the house of God. I'm not going to limit my carrying capacity simply because it's building X, Y, or Z based on the stigmata that society has hung on it... especially when there has been incidents where the bad guy targets these gatherings due to the helpless nature of the people. God isn't going to hear me any less, or think any less of me, if I'm packing a sidearm. I'm pretty sure he'll still welcome me with open arms. :rolleyes:

Just my $0.02.

Guest MidTNShooter

Hey Verbal,

I see where you are coming from. I too don't want this to be a religious debate, but it is what I believe and feel. I wouldn't feel ackward with someone bringing one into church, just not me. Yes, someone can come in a kill just like the at the mall. I'm hoping that the preacher breaks out his .40 when it's needed. Didn't you ever want to run up to the altar and pull back the curtain and see what the preacher is packing? A couple M&Ps and an AR wouldn't be too bad. At least it would keep my eyes open after an all nighter.;)

See Ya,

MTS

but could never image taking my weapon in a house of worship (any religion).

Would God protect from a potential bullet? Not to go off on the religious thing either but I do not think God will intervene. God provides you with a method of protection, it is up to you to exercise it.

I also never take my dip in church for the same reason.

Wrong forum, try http://www.tndipspitters.com ;)

Guest MidTNShooter

You asked will God protect you from a bullet?..... Hmmm Not sure, Maybe. Would God protect you if you fell head first from a stadium into the concrete below? Hmmmm, Yes, Me!. There are so many questions, so little answers. This wasn't meant to be turned into what God can or will do. I won't carry in a church, but will in certain posted areas. I don't care if a mall has it posted outside. I am not allowed to carry it at work, I still do. Like that old saying... judge by 12 instead of being carried by 6.

MTS

Guest Boomhower
judge by 12 instead of being carried by 6.

You lost me here. How many would it take to carry you out of church?.....I can agree with all of your comments thus far, and I understand what you are trying to say, but this is double tongued talk here. How can you not carry somewhere (any where to not make this religious) and live or quote that motto?...........I was always taught to ask instead of assume. ;)

Guest MidTNShooter
You lost me here. How many would it take to carry you out of church?.....I can agree with all of your comments thus far, and I understand what you are trying to say, but this is double tongued talk here. How can you not carry somewhere (any where to not make this religious) and live or quote that motto?...........I was always taught to ask instead of assume. ;)

If you read the post. It stated that I would not bring it into a church. It also said that I would carry it into a mall even though a sign stated for me not to. What is double talk about that ? Sounds easy to read to me. As for the amount of people to carry me out is irrelevant. The old saying said "It is better to be judge by 12 not carried by 6. 12 jurours and 6 palbearers.

Understand now?

MTS

Thankfully, Tennessee allows individuals to choose if they want to carry a handgun to church or not. Some may and some may not. It is for each person to decide.

I personally carry when i feel the need, which in Shelby County is most of the time, whether i am at the mall, church, eating out, or going to the bank to make a transaction. I will admit doctor visits can be quite a bit awkward if you are being checked out thoroughly....the best way i've found to avoid a problem with that is carry a dayplanner to the doc's office if i choose to carry.

Guest MidTNShooter
Thankfully, Tennessee allows individuals to choose if they want to carry a handgun to church or not. Some may and some may not. It is for each person to decide.

I personally carry when i feel the need, which in Shelby County is most of the time, whether i am at the mall, church, eating out, or going to the bank to make a transaction. I will admit doctor visits can be quite a bit awkward if you are being checked out thoroughly....the best way i've found to avoid a problem with that is carry a dayplanner to the doc's office if i choose to carry.

Yeah, I use to live in Memphis (most of my life) and was held up twice! First time a bunch of us was at Jefferson Davis Park (acr0ss from Mud Island on the river for those who don't know where it is). The second time was coming out of a conv. store on Union (across from Sun Studios). Oh yeah, my truck broken into twice IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE.

You have to take great precautions living there. That was reason number two that I left Memphis ten years ago.

Stay Safe my friend. Your not one of those East Memphis Devils are you? :D

Take Care,

MTS

Guest Boomhower
If you read the post. It stated that I would not bring it into a church. It also said that I would carry it into a mall even though a sign stated for me not to. What is double talk about that ? Sounds easy to read to me. As for the amount of people to carry me out is irrelevant. The old saying said "It is better to be judge by 12 not carried by 6. 12 jurors and 6 pallbearers.

Understand now?

MTS

No I read it, and then re-read it again to make sure that I didn't misunderstand it. And I've heard this motto many many times, but the motto you quoted implies that you will be ready for every situation that comes your way and to me that includes a handgun of some type, unless you are a hollywood Jet Lee type that can disassemble a gun from 50 ft. away....Being judged by 12 implies that you've acted in self defense in some situation and now have 12 juror's deciding your fate. If you do not have a handgun with you in church, and something goes down, you may be carried out by 6 (pallbearer's). That's the double talk that I'm talking about. You quote a motto that you do not always follow. But I'm not here to argue about personal belief's of where to carry or not. That is up to you to decide, and you have already stated your decision twice. I am referring to the motto you quoted.

Clear as mud?

I resemble that East Memphis remark!

On a related side note, If it is a church with a private school that shares the same property. Can you carry? I think I know the answer, it is an assumption but I think I know.

I live in the Germantown-Collierville area but spend a lot of time like everyone in the eastern part of Shelby County in Memphis city limits, whether it be work, eating out, or going to Shelby Farms. I've never considered Collierville or Germantown unsafe areas, it's just any given day I will probably be in Memphis. I see no point in leaving a handgun in my car at church for someone to steal it, even though car break ins are quite rare in my area. There are a few nut cases out there that strike even the most safe areas, so my little S&W snub 38 isn't a lot of weight in my pocket for the safety it affords wherever i go.

Guest MidTNShooter
No I read it, and then re-read it again to make sure that I didn't misunderstand it. And I've heard this motto many many times, but the motto you quoted implies that you will be ready for every situation that comes your way and to me that includes a handgun of some type, unless you are a hollywood Jet Lee type that can disassemble a gun from 50 ft. away....Being judged by 12 implies that you've acted in self defense in some situation and now have 12 juror's deciding your fate. If you do not have a handgun with you in church, and something goes down, you may be carried out by 6 (pallbearer's). That's the double talk that I'm talking about. You quote a motto that you do not always follow. But I'm not here to argue about personal belief's of where to carry or not. That is up to you to decide, and you have already stated your decision twice. I am referring to the motto you quoted.

Clear as mud?

touche', I stand down.

I too am a Gun-Tote'n-Christian, but could never image taking my weapon in a house of worship (any religion). I also never take my dip in church for the same reason. I'm not trying to soud snobby, but I would do the same for your house. :D

Just a thought,

MTS

MTS, If I didn't trust you to carry a firearm you wouldn't BE in my house :wall:

hows' that for a thought?

oh..and consequently, we DO take them off for meals, since I was taught that it's not polite to wear a hat inside or a firearm at the dinner table ;)