Cherokee Steak House & Marina

Anyone ever been there? What are your thoughts on the place?

Today is my girlfriends birthday, and was trying to find a steakhouse other than the everyday chain-types. Something near the Hendersonville/Rivergate/Gallatin areas would be nice, but I'm open.

I've read several reviews about Cherokee Steak House & Marina, but they've been fairly mixed. Many complaints about the wait, quality of food, and even something about being filthy and smelling of mildew.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint
Many complaints about the wait, quality of food, and even something about being filthy and smelling of mildew.

Having never been there, and reading only what you just typed... you're still considering this as to the place to take your girlfriend for her birthday??? :poop:

This will be good. :D

Having never been there, and reading only what you just typed... you're still considering this as to the place to take your girlfriend for her birthday??? :poop:

This will be good. :D

Well, my thoughts, exactly. But, we both know how some people get pissed about any little thing, then decide to fabricate poor reviews.

I was hoping someone with firsthand knowledge would be able to give an honest opinion. And I am open to other suggestions. Looks like I may have to travel closer to Nashville.

I don't recall an offensive odor or an unusually long wait, but our visit was nothing special. It wasn't terrible, but the hype we had heard about the place was not lived up to.

It may not be the romantic atmosphere you're looking for, but a better steak can be had at Outback or Demos'.

YMMV

Finezza @ 5404 Harding has a great date atmosphere and is relatively reasonably priced.

It may not be a steakhouse, but it's traditional Italian, and FRESH!

The "Tuscany Filet" is hard to beat.

A snippet of the steaks they offer:

Tuscany Filet $24

8 oz. choice cut filet grilled to order, topped with our creamy mushroom marsala sauce and served with a side of polenta.

Espresso Ribeye $22

12 oz. choice cut ribeye rubbed with an espresso blended seasoning grilled to order and served on a bed of three-cheese ziti.

You can find more info and their entire menu here:

Finezza Italian Bistro

Cherokee has great steaks, but it is not fine dining by any means. Used to be BYOB, not sure if they still do that. It's been 2-3 years since I've eaten there.

Woody's is good.

Texas Roadhouse at Indian Lakes has excellent steaks, but a roadhouse atmosphere.

Jimmy Kelly''s or The Stockyard have fantastic steaks. ($$$$)

Outback has great steaks and the best crab legs in TN.

Finezza is excellent, reasonably priced and your girlfriend will probably be very impressed. I've been eating there for over 15 years.

Reba owns/owned the land next to Cherokee, so not sure that she actually wanted to keep it as a running restaurant or wanted the land and the marina for personal use.

Cherokee is just ok to me. I didnt have a bad experience when I was there but it wasnt anything to write home about. I think Demos is better and they have good prices. I would check out Mortons on Church St. downtown. Morton's The Steakhouse - Nashville Or Ted's Montana Grill out on West End. They have bison steaks that are awesome (they also have great beef too). Ted's Montana Grill

Asking a bunch of guys where to go may lead you to the Golden Corral.

But, as mentioned earlier, Cherokee is not a "date night" place to go. If your looking for somewhere in Hendersonville, probably the nicest place is September's Septembers - septembers hendersonville .

If going into Davidson County and want non-chain Sperry's in Belle Meade is always a good bet Sperry's Restaurant | Fine Nashville Dining since 1974. Nashville Steakhouse,Fresh Seafood, Tasteful Surroundings , but make sure you make reservations and ask to be seated in the bar (it's and old world look with lots of dark wood and a fireplace).

Charlies in Oak Grove, KY (near Ft Campbell) has the absolute best steak I have ever had, hands down. You can't go wrong with the man sized sirlion or the King of Clubs, both 2 inches thick and hang off the plate. I know it may be out of your way, but worth checking out. Their number is 270-439-4592.

Anyone ever been there? What are your thoughts on the place?

Today is my girlfriends birthday, and was trying to find a steakhouse other than the everyday chain-types. Something near the Hendersonville/Rivergate/Gallatin areas would be nice, but I'm open.

I've read several reviews about Cherokee Steak House & Marina, but they've been fairly mixed. Many complaints about the wait, quality of food, and even something about being filthy and smelling of mildew.

We eat up there on a regular basis... Great food, and the staff has always been friendly to us... And added benefit they don't serve liquor or beer on site so it's one of the few places to get a good steak in Middle TN where you can carry right now.

Guest HexHead
Finezza @ 5404 Harding has a great date atmosphere and is relatively reasonably priced.

Just make sure you don't go on a Wednesday. That's "kids eat free" night.

I'd rather chew off my own leg.

Guest HexHead

It's almost impossible to do better for a special occasion than Ruth's Chris on West End at the Lowe's Vanderbilt. They're running a $39 four course steak/lobster special right now that includes salad, a side and dessert. The atmosphere is great, the service 2nd only to The Palm and the steaks are worth it. Make reservations online and mention it's a birthday and you get a free premium dessert like their killer cheesecake. And no embarrassing singing and handclapping. :leaving:

It's almost impossible to do better for a special occasion than Ruth's Chris on West End at the Lowe's Vanderbilt. They're running a $39 four course steak/lobster special right now that includes salad, a side and dessert. The atmosphere is great, the service 2nd only to The Palm and the steaks are worth it. Make reservations online and mention it's a birthday and you get a free premium dessert like their killer cheesecake. And no embarrassing singing and handclapping. :leaving:

This was my favorite until they posted, now I'll never go back.

Guest HexHead
This was my favorite until they posted, now I'll never go back.

Well, everywhere is "posted" now. :leaving:

My understanding is that they didn't post, Lowes, that owns the building did it for them. If that's the case, I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt as they had no say in the matter.