40 vs the 9mm?

Guest Baddawg865

Guest Baddawg865

I have narrowed some guns down to the one i am wanting to buy. I have always wanted a glock, and from what i have read on the forums glock is a really good choice. So here is my question. What are your takes on the 40 verses the 9? I'm not that keen on caring a compact gun. The reason is i have large hands and can't grip it that well. I could use the mag extension, but wouldn't it be just as good to get a standard and get use to carrying it? I would like to know what you all think about that as well.

My choices are the G19(9mm) or the G23(40) in compact size. And in standard i would go with the the G17(9mm) or the G22(40).

If there are any other guns that you guys carry that you think i should check out first please post. I could read reviews all day online, but i would much rather hear from actual owners of the gun.:screwy: Thanks!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have narrowed some guns down to the one i am wanting to buy. I have always wanted a glock, and from what i have read on the forums glock is a really good choice. So here is my question. What are your takes on the 40 verses the 9? I'm not that keen on caring a compact gun. The reason is i have large hands and can't grip it that well. I could use the mag extension, but wouldn't it be just as good to get a standard and get use to carrying it? I would like to know what you all think about that as well.

My choices are the G19(9mm) or the G23(40) in compact size. And in standard i would go with the the G17(9mm) or the G22(40).

If there are any other guns that you guys carry that you think i should check out first please post. I could read reviews all day online, but i would much rather hear from actual owners of the gun.:screwy: Thanks!

The 9mm for the Glock. The Glock is totally designed for the 9mm cartridge and there is ongoing discussion about the .40 S&W not being fully supported in Glock barrels.

A full size 17/22 is still smaller and much lighter than most guns out there, a lot of guys make a big deal about the 19/23 being easier to hide but in use I've found almost no difference, I've never had an issue hiding either one with a good IWB holster. While I don't really have the largest hands I far and away prefer the full size Glock grips to the compacts... A better grip, and more comfortable finger grooves, that fills my palm is worth hiding the extra 1/2", plus you get 2 more rounds...

Both 9mm and .40 will have their fans and haters... I choose 9mm for myself since my follow up shots are faster and more accurate than with the .40 and I believe shot placement and hits trumps caliber everytime. Also, I hate the way .40 recoils, harsh and snappy, if I carry a caliber that starts with a 4 it's .45acp, which kicks much less and far less "ugly" as the .40 IMO. Plus, for the same money one can practice twice as much with 9 as with .40...

Glock is a great choice, but I'd also recommend trying an M&P... YMMV.

Edited by CK1
The 9mm for the Glock. The Glock is totally designed for the 9mm cartridge and there is ongoing discussion about the .40 S&W not being fully supported in Glock barrels.

The only problems ever demonstrated with the .40 caliber GLOCK chamber not being fully supported is in handloads. There are no documented cases (to my knowledge) of failure with factory loaded ammunition. That right there might be reason enough for Baddawg to consider - buy the 9mm if you plan to reload.

9mm advantages-

- more shots

- cheaper ammo

- MUCH less recoil

- long time proven round

.40 Caliber advantages

- hits harder

- very common round in LEO circles

- whether it expands or not, its still .40 caliber

I carry the .40 personally (G22). For me, it came down to two more rounds vs hitting harder. My wife has a .40, but wants to trade it in for a 9mm because she shot my dad's 9mm and the recoil was insignificant for her.

Either way, do understand that any pistol round is an underperformer for combat - the pistol is for fighting your way back to the rifle you shouldn't have laid down in the first place. :screwy:

Can't really go wrong with either caliber. Don't get hung up on the .40-Glocks-will-blow-up baloney. You will get more practice per dollar with a 9mm, though. As for which size, how big are you, and how do you dress? I'm 5'10/190, and don't cherish the idea of hiding a 17/22 inside my waistband--the grip is too long to keep from "printing" (for me, anyway). I typically carry a 19 or 23 (whichever is cleanest) with a Comp-Tac CTAC IWB holster with an untucked shirt. I'm not big, but do have large hands for my frame, and the 19/23 compacts work fine. Have you handled a 19/23? If mag extensions are a must for the 19/23, then I'd go for a 17/22.

For clarity sake, all Glock models have the same unsupported design.

Glock kB! FAQ v1.35

Any gun manufacture you choose can experience the Kaboom due to factory rounds that were overcharged or poor brass casing.

Sage advice is to shoot whichever caliber you can shoot the most accurately. My advice is to try them at an indoor shooting range and rent the Glocks in the 9, 40 and 45 and put about 100 rounds through each model.

This may require a few trips to the range, however you will over a period of time narrow which model of gun for a given caliber is best for you.

Guest rystine

Personally I like the 9mm best, but that has alot to do with the cost. People argue alot about whether or not the 9mm isn't enough gun, and you need to decide how you feel about that for yourself, but you can't deny the fact that 9mm is cheaper than .40.

Here's an idea though. If you're going with a glock, get the glock 23. It's smaller and arguably more concealable than the fullsize glock 17/22, but you can use the same magazines as the larger glocks and get the same capacity. AND if you get the .40 cal glocks you can buy 9mm barrels to swap out, get the glock 17 or 19 mags and shoot 9mm to save a little money. Kinda like having a 17, 19, 22, and 23 all rolled into one pistol.

ETA: I've owned a Glock 19 and Springfield XD40 before, but have found that personally I like the Smith & Wesson M&P series best. At least check them out before making your purchase.

Edited by rystine

It's really a matter of personal preference. I prefer the 9mm. I find the 40 to be more uncomfortable to shoot than either the 9 or the 45. I do not like the way it kicks and I find it easier to make follow up shots with it to be harder than the 9 or 45. I have a 23 and 27 and am pretty sure I will be getting 9 bbls for each. I just don't like the 40 at all.

If I had started my shooting life with the 40 maybe things would be different, but I didn't. I started with the 9 and 45. I guess I could practice a ton and make myself shoot the 40 well. But, if I am already a good shooter with the 9 and 45, why mess with success.

As for gun, again it is a matter of preference. The guns you are considering are all good and reliable. Get the one that fits you personally the best. Again for me, I have yet to find any gun which fits me better than the HK P7 or 1911. Glocks have great advantages, and point well for me, but are not comfortable after a couple hundred rounds of a shooting session. My hands just do not fit the gun well. I have tried the XD and only a little on the M&P and the fit better, but I dislike their triggers. It's all about personal comfort. I am a system guy and don't like to mix and match my carry guns, so I have stuck with the Glocks for now.

I would be interested in hearing from people who have converted a 23 or 27 to 9mm and also changed the extractor in order to carry it not just range shoot it. IF you do get a 23 and get a 9bbl, get one of the aftermarket barrels designed for conversion. Glock does not recommend dropping a Glock 9 barrel in a 23 as the circumference of the barrel does not make for a good fit. The conversion barrels are made larger for that purpose.

From my experience, the harsh recoil of the .40 has always been a bit exaggerated.

Don't you think it probably has more to do with experience and what you have been accustomed to? I also find the 40 is for me far more noticeable in my 27 than the 23. A sub compact 9 just seems to match better.

+1 altho I carried a G-22 for 17 years with no problems, the unsupported chamber has been problamatic in .40s. My choice in this type of pistol would be an XD . just my .02.

If there are any other guns that you guys carry that you think i should check out first please post. I could read reviews all day online, but i would much rather hear from actual owners of the gun.

I’ll take the M&P over the Glock.

The .40S&W is a superior round to the 9mm. That’s been beat to death here, but that’s why many departments have made the switch to .40.

From my experience, the harsh recoil of the .40 has always been a bit exaggerated.

I don't think .40 is harsh in that it hurts, more like harsh in how it snaps and makes the muzzle flip, by comparison .45 and 9 seem to push back more relaxed (I run 13lb recoil springs in my M&P9 and in G17s in the past, which is more like shooting a .22 though!). Just find I can put twice as many shots on the money with a 9 or .45 than I can in the same time with a .40...

Guest Baddawg865

Thanks guys. All great replies. I have shot a G23 .40 and it didn't fit real good. I am a big frame guy. I will check out the M&P and see if the range has one i can rent.

I do like the XD models as well. My buddy has one in the .40 and it doesn't recoil bad at all. But the .40 glock i shot had just about as much recoil as my ruger p90 .45. Not sure it just seemed that way because i couldn't grip it well, or it does have a nice kick!

Keep'em coming guys this is a great help.

Guest Muttling

How much range time are you going to put in with it? All of the above are very good choices.

I prefer something with a bit more hitting power in a self defense weapon, but if you're going to put in quite a bit of range time the cheaper cost of 9mm ammo is well worth considering.

Guest grimel

Glock 19/17/26/34 or XD9/9sc/9tactical/m9. The M&P is too new for me. It's a pistol so I want all the BB's I can get - 9mm wins. LEO's went to 40's because the FBI went to 40's (like it or not the FBI sets the trends for USA law enforcement) just like they went to semi-autos after the FBI.

It is a PISTOL, other than it's handy and easy to hide is sucks. Lots o' bullets. The only reason to not have a 9mm is the design you shoot best was developed around another cal (i.e. 1911/45acp).

LEO's went to 40's because the FBI went to 40's (like it or not the FBI sets the trends for USA law enforcement) just like they went to semi-autos after the FBI.

Sorry, but they went to semi's after Illinois State Police. Hoover didn’t like semi's.

Sorry, but they went to semi's after Illinois State Police. Hoover didn’t like semi's.

Yes I agree. Some LEA's did take notice of the Miami Incident and began their switch before the FBI even finished their panels. Other LEA's had already switched. LEA's also didn't switch enmasse to the 10mm when the FBI started acquiring those either. For the most part I don't think the FBI led that trend, it was just coming.

Before the revolutionary designs of the HK P7 and Beretta 92 there weren't a huge number of options other than the 1911, which many LEA's had steered clear of many years before and would not consider them for their department use. New guns at good prices led the charge instead of an agency adoption.