Whats up at Gunny's?

Guest paladin2010

Guest paladin2010

Whats going on at Gunny's? All the old staff is gone. They have changed their hours. The shelves are bare. The Gunny is gone. What's up are they going out of business?

I was going to get a membership, but I don't think I would get to finish it before they close down.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I transferred 4 guns through them at the end of '09 and some of the old people were still there though a lot of new faces were too...their prices seemed to be getting a bit better. I didnt renew my membership for this year because I think im gonna start going to ORSA more once it warms up, but it is a nice place.

Guest paladin2010

I found a place called Farnsworths down here in Vonore. I bought a glock 17 and saved $40 on the price at Gunnys. They also have a range. I don't need a membership, they only charge $5 and give you the first target. I also found a new place in Midland Plaza, Alcoa, called Bill's Outpost. He has plenty of 38 special ammo for around $20-$34. He has more handgun ammo, more than I have seen in most shops. He doesn't have his firearms licence yet.

Guest GenNBForrest
I found a place called Farnsworths down here in Vonore. I bought a glock 17 and saved $40 on the price at Gunnys. They also have a range. I don't need a membership, they only charge $5 and give you the first target. I also found a new place in Midland Plaza, Alcoa, called Bill's Outpost. He has plenty of 38 special ammo for around $20-$34. He has more handgun ammo, more than I have seen in most shops. He doesn't have his firearms licence yet.

Farnsworth! You will not deal with anyone better than Robert Farnsworth.

Bill's Outpost has a great selection of ammo @ a great price.

Now..........Gunny's Shooting Range. I loved this place when it first opened up.Very nice Range. Very clean, great lighting and ventilation system. David "Gunny" Perry, one of three owners was great to deal with. It was a great place to hang out and just BS. Thursday night was competition shooting, IDPA or bowling pin matches. Great fun.

THEN..........the Gunny was gone. Rumors where the others owners voted him out of the General Managers position? Danny Maples is now GM. NOW, new range hours! :taunt: I paid for my membership BEFORE the range was built in faith that it would be open as stated 9:00 to 9:00, 7 days a week. After the first year The hours changed to a 8:00 closing time? NOW........Opens a 11:00 to 7:00, and closed on Sunday!

I can no longer shoot in the evenings after work! By the time I get home from work, load up my gear a head to the range it is after 6:00. This really sucks. The range is very full on Saturday, now with the range being closed on Sunday.

It's now not worth $330 to stand in line to shoot on Sat. only. Talking about the membership cost..........I am surprised it is legal to change the range times after you sign up 500+ members with a stated range time then change it so drastically?

BRING THE GUNNY BACK!

Guest mikedwood

Glad I'm an ORSA member now. I had a membership and liked the place a lot. I haven't been there in months and months because I don't get around Maryville much anymore.

Man that's a shame Gunny's has changed like that. Atleast hours wise.

Guest paladin2010

I bought bought a S&W airweight for my wife at Farnsworths, I saved about $40 on the price at Gunnys. Also Sloans BP in Vonore has 38 spl & 380 ammo.

I heard that the reason Gunnys let go of all their employees and changed the hours. Is that they can't cover the payroll, are behind on their bills, and owe their suppliers several hundred thousand dollars. Thats the reason they don't have much stuff, no credit. Boy am I glad I didn't buy a membership.

Edited by paladin2010
spelling
Guest GenNBForrest
paladin I dont think its fair to hypothesize on why they are/arent doing well. A few of the old employees are still there btw. They have a great location and a good facility...I really dont see how you could do bad there.

You exactly right. I'd be the first to want the range to be successful. A gun store should be doing very well since gun and ammo sales are through the roof right now. The range is as good as it gets. They need to restock the shelves and go back to their old hours. Get people back in there. Have the items/products people want. With the right management Gunny's would be a gold mine!

Guest Swamprunner
I bought bought a S&W airweight for my wife at Farnsworths, I saved about $40 on the price at Gunnys. Also Sloans BP in Vonore has 38 spl & 380 ammo.

I heard that the reason Gunnys let go of all their employees and changed the hours. Is that they can't cover the payroll, are behind on their bills, and owe their suppliers several hundred thousand dollars. Thats the reason they don't have much stuff, no credit. Boy am I glad I didn't buy a membership.

Good deal. I'll head on down to Sloans. BTW, Robbie is good folks. I met him when he had the little pawn shop out front, and I'm tickled that he is doing well.

Downside: His shop looks as bad as my garage. Needs to swamp the place out a little. :koolaid:

Guest GenNBForrest
Downside: His shop looks as bad as my garage. Needs to swamp the place out a little. :tough:

Nah man, that just adds to the character of Farnsworth. Some of my best finds have been hidden under junk. :stir:

Guest paladin2010

BTW. The only person who knew much about guns, was the dark haired guy from Walmart. I'll have to go over there now, if I have a question. Anyone know his name? What store does he work at? I haven't seen him at the 411 walmart.

Edited by paladin2010
splelnig
Guest GenNBForrest
BTW. The only person who knew much about guns, was the dark haired guy from Walmart. I'll have to go over there now, if I have a question. Anyone know his name? What store does he work at? I haven't seen him at the 411 walmart.

Lynn Walker. He's at the Alcoa store. Great Guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Super nice guys...I think I might call them with a few pointers. The other day I transfered in a 60-10 and since I was there figured well I will buy some speed loaders and maybe a holster for it right? Might as well give them some more business besides the transfer fee....well I go looking through accessories...they had: Speed Loaders for a 22wmr, 41mag, and a 44....but no 38/357 j-frames? Alright holsters...blackhawk CQC Serpa...perfect...oh wait...its for a lefty....geezus...so unfortunately the only contribution to the nice people there(and they are very friendly) was my transfer fee. With a few touches here and there that place could really shine....I should be a gun store manager ;-D

Guest paladin2010

I saw Lynn Walker shooting at Coal Creek on Tuesday. He let me shoot his 10mm Smith. That gun has alot of power. I ask why he liked the 10mm. He said it was different, but said it wasn't for everyone unless you reloaded. I didn't ask, but I think he has a membership ther now.

Guest FroggyOne2
Glad I'm an ORSA member now.

+1000 for ORSA

Coal Creeks Membership is only $200. I could put up with alot for $130 less.

ORSA's membership is only 120.00 a year.

Guest paladin2010

I talked to Lynn at Wal-mart. I confirmed that he did get a membership at Coal Creek. He said he liked the Knox area, because there was lots of things to do after shooting. Movies, resturants, Gander Mtn etc.

Guest navarone

I went back to Gunnys. Stock was a little better. But I over heard a employee asking the manager about going back to their old hours. The manger said if the members didn't like how he was running things they could go some where else.

I think they already have started going other places.