New here, should I stick around or not?

Guest peacexxl

Guest peacexxl

Been shooting a little over a year so I am still very interested in learning all I can about handguns and the community. I've enjoyed the time I have spent on other forums so far and figured I'd try this one as well. Problem is once I signed up and started browsing threads, less than 15 minutes into reading I had run across several references to "Memfrica/Memphrica".

Yes I am black and live in Memphis. I also have a family (wife and 3 daughters, been married almost 15 years), and a strong interest in guns which is what I thought this forum was about. I have no interest in infringing on anyone else's freedom of expression but also no desire to deal with such references on a regular basis.

My question is to whether or not this is a regular and accepted form of expression here. If not I would like to continue as a member and learn and share experiences. If it is, I will gladly move on and leave you all to your forum.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to TGO. I think you should stick around. As with anything in this area there are those kinda references popping up from time to time, but for the most part you wont have any problems with this bunch from what I've seen. I've seen and heard memphis referred to as that several times and even though I personally wouldn't post that kinda thing, I also know that some folks are going to from time to time. There's alot of good folks and knowledge on here, so as with anything you have to enjoy the good and try to overlook the few bad ones.

Edited by MCSCOTT

I cannot apologize for the actions of others but I would like to say that there are many of us here who will welcome all responsible citizens who want to learn about shooting for sport and self-defense, regardless of their ethnicity. I welcome you from Knoxville and I hope you stick around.

Don't let the actions of a few drive you away.

I cannot apologize for the actions of others but I would like to say that there are many of us here who will welcome all responsible citizens who want to learn about shooting for sport and self-defense, regardless of their ethnicity. I welcome you from Knoxville and I hope you stick around.

Don't let the actions of a few drive you away.

Dito, from Cleveland.

Guest GT_Rat

I don't know how regular those types of comments are but for the most part I think they are ignored/disregarded as the foolishness they are. I haven't seen those comments actively moderated though so maybe that needs to be addressed.

Welcome to the site and hope you stick around.

Guest jackdm3

You would make the 67th member in Memphis. We hope to meet soon if we can agree on time and place. I can't think of any problems you would encounter from the locals. If you decide to stay, you'll find us at http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/new-member-introductions/29584-memphis-roster-get.html

You can also go to "Community" and click on the "Social Groups" and find us at "Memphis TGO Members" icon.

There are over 6000 registered members here, but usually only a few hundred daily. Don't think a few speak for all. You'll find that some on here are Equal Opportunity OFFENDERS. The group is mostly conservative and don't suffer fools lightly. We just don't appreciate stupid (Look up the Leonard story, The Village Idiot) and since we haven't seen much positive news from Obama since 1-20-09, he gets slammed almost daily. But a lot of us don't really like any party, so all is fair!

My vote: You stay and see the big picture if you can. You'll find differing viewpoints everywhere. But the knowledge you'll gain here, if at least to meet the locals, is worth it.

You will find a little of everything and every thought process on here. You will think some people are a-holes and vice versa. There is pretty much a free exchange of ideas on here, some of which may be offensive (I don't think anyone on here has not been offended at some point or another). But mostly, you'll find people who are willing to share knowledge, have a love of firearms and a dedication to their family, their country and their freedoms.

All that being said, WELCOME TO THE TGO, hope you stick around for a while.

Welcome. As one who grew up in Memphis, is white, and has a black sister all I can say if that offends you - you might need thicker skin. Memphis is a unique place as you well know and I have heard it called worse things.

BTW - a lot of folks here get referred to as hillbilly rednecks, right wing extremist, gun nuts, terrorist and that's just by the government! ;)

Guest Verbal Kint
Welcome. As one who grew up in Memphis, is white, and has a black sister all I can say if that offends you - you might need thicker skin. Memphis is a unique place as you well know and I have heard it called worse things.

BTW - a lot of folks here get referred to as hillbilly rednecks, right wing extremist, gun nuts, terrorist and that's just by the government! ;)

Winner. :cool: