East Tn TGO Members DECEMBER 2007 Meet

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well that would depend on when you get there :down: when we first started, it was out to eat first THEN to the range....since that took alot of time away from the range, we've taken to cooking out while we're there...so usually any time round 10 or 10:30.

Now is about the time that phantom put up the obligatory map with directions and contact information....

say..can we make that into a sticky?

Guest Phantom6

OK guys and gals, here below are the written instructions from pretty much anywhere. PM me and I'll send you my cell phone number in case you get turned around. When you get there, park in the yard by the house and call the number on the sign and the shuttle will come to pick you up or you may enjoy a roughly 400 yd walk to the range area. Stop and pet the horses.

Directions to the Range from all Points

Coming From the West-

From I-40 Eastbound

Take Exit 356 toward Oak Ridge. This is known as Gallaher Road or Hwy. 58. At the bottom of the ramp turn Left and go under I-40. As you pass under I-40 you will see a Weigel’s Fuel and Food on your right. (For those that need ammo or any other shooting needs, just beyond the Weigel’s store there is a road to your right called Farmer Road. If you will turn Right there you will see the sign for Frontier Firearms about 80 yds. up on your right.)

Follow Hwy 58 towards Oak Ridge. After passing the old K-25 Uranium separation plant you will come to a traffic light (first since getting on this road) at the corner of Hwy 58 and Route 327 which is also known as Blair Rd.

Turn LEFT at this light onto Hwy 327. After turning on Hwy 327 or Blair Rd. follow this road (you will cross railroad tracks twice) 2.9 miles to Poplar Creek Rd. At Poplar Creek Road you will turn Left.

Turning Left onto Poplar Creek Rd. will take you back across the RR tracks one last time. You will pass Butler’s Mkt. on your right which is a great place to pick up snacks, drinks etc. Follow this road to the “T†intersection where it runs into Sugar Grove Valley Rd. At the “T†turn RIGHT.

Follow Sugar Grove Valley Rd. almost .5 miles to 3997 Sugar Grove Valley Rd. and turn Left off the road. There will be a sign by the mail box that reads “Sterling Rangeâ€

You will recognize it from the new bridge which crosses the creek to the little white farm house on the property. Cross the bridge and read the sign that will be on your left just on the other side of the bridge.

If you have a problem call me on my cell phone and we'll talk you in.

Coming From the South

From I-75 Northbound

Take Exit 81 Lenoir City /Oak Ridge exit. At top of ramp turn left onto US Route 321 and follow that North. About 3-4 miles out you will come to I-40. You now have a choice. You can take I-40 West to Exit 356, turn right at the bottom of the ramp onto Hwy 58 and follow the directions above if you need ammo and such, or you may pass under I-40 and stay on the two lane rd which has now changed to Hwy 95. If you choose to stay on 95 you will cross the Clinch River and continue North on 95. It’s a beautiful drive this time of the year but the road is a bit curvy so watch your speed. You will come to the Route 95/58 split. You want to continue on 58 so go across the bridge and the road will ramp down onto Hwy 58. About 200 yds up you will come to the light at Hwy 58 and route 327.

Turn Right at this light onto Hwy 327. After turning on Hwy 327 or Blair Rd. follow this road (you will cross railroad tracks twice) 2.9 miles to Poplar Creek Rd. At Poplar Creek Road you will turn Left.

Turning Left onto Poplar Creek Rd. will take you back across the RR tracks one last time. You will pass Butler’s Mkt. on your right which is a great place to pick up snacks, drinks etc. Follow this road to the “T†intersection where it runs into Sugar Grove Valley Rd. At the “T†turn RIGHT.

Follow Sugar Grove Valley Rd. almost .5 miles to 3997 Sugar Grove Valley Rd. and turn Left off the road. There will be a sign by the mail box that reads “Sterling Rangeâ€

You will recognize it from the new bridge which crosses the creek to the little white farm house on the property. Cross the bridge and read the sign that will be on your left just on the other side of the bridge.

Coming From the Knoxville area and points East

At the I-75/I-40 Split, continue west on I-40

Take Exit 356 toward Oak Ridge. This is known as Gallaher Road or Hwy. 58. At the bottom of the ramp turn Left and go under I-40. As you pass under I-40 you will see a Weigel’s Fuel and Food on your right. (For those that need ammo or any other shooting needs, just beyond the Weigel’s store there is a road to your right called Farmer Road. If you will turn Right there you will see the sign for Frontier Firearms about 80 yds. up on your right.)

Follow Hwy 58 towards Oak Ridge. After passing the old K-25 Uranium separation plant you will come to a traffic light (first since getting on this road) at the corner of Hwy 58 and Hwy 327 which is also known as Blair Rd.

Turn LEFT at this light onto Hwy 327. After turning on Hwy 327 or Blair Rd. follow this road (you will cross railroad tracks twice) 2.9 miles to Poplar Creek Rd. At Poplar Creek Road you will turn Left.

From Clinton, Caryville, LaFollette, Cumberland Gap Area

Take I-75 South to Exit 122. At the bottom of the ramp go Right towards Clinton on Hwy 61. Stay on 61 passing through Clinton. Just outside of Oak Ridge at the Buzz In Market, Hwy 61 turns right at a light. Do Not Turn. Go straight ahead to Oak Ridge. You are now on Hwy 95. Follow this through Oak Ridge. After Passing Oak Ridge High School (under re-construction) on your right you will come to the intersection of Hwy. 62 (Illinois Ave.) and Hwy 95 (Oak Ridge Turnpike). Herb Newton Nissan is on the South East corner there.

From the intersection of Hwy. 62 (Illinois Ave.) and Hwy 95 (Oak Ridge Turnpike), take Hwy. 95 (the Oak Ridge Turnpike) south towards Lenoir city and Kingston.

At 4.3 miles you will pass through the old military gates of Oak Ridge. At this point the road narrows from 4 lanes to 2.

Continue south on Hwy. 95. At 7.5 miles from your start point at Herb Newton Nissan you will come to the Hwy. 95 /Hwy. 58 split. You want to follow Hwy. 58 towards Kingston.

As you pass the split get back into the right lane because you will turn right at the light which will be .9 mile ahead of you. This is route 327.

Route 327 (Blair Rd.) is 8.4 miles from your start point back at Herb Newton Nissan at the intersection of Hwy. 62 (Illinois Ave.) and Hwy 95 (Oak Ridge Turnpike). Turn Right here.

After turning right on route 327 or Blair Rd. follow this road (you will cross railroad tracks twice) 2.9 miles to Poplar Creek Rd. At Poplar Creek Road you will turn Left.

Follow Sugar Grove Valley Rd. almost .5 miles to 3997 Sugar Grove Valley Rd. and turn Left off the road. You will recognize it from the new bridge which crosses the creek to the little white farm house on the property. Cross the bridge and read the sign.

From Wartburg, Lancing and all points North to Scott County TN and McCreary County KY.

Follow US 27 South to Hwy 61.

Take Hwy 61 South toward Oliver Springs.

Turn Right on Hwy 327 or Blair Rd. Follow this to Poplar Creek Road and turn Right onto Poplar Creek.

Turning Right onto Poplar Creek Rd. will take you back across the RR tracks one last time. You will pass Butler’s Mkt. on your right which is a great place to pick up snacks, drinks etc. Follow this road to the “T†intersection where it runs into Sugar Grove Valley Rd. At the “T†turn RIGHT.

An area map:

Map_00.jpg

Range from the air:

Sat_Image02.jpg

Guest Phantom6

Good news everyone. Boomhower has volunteered to let us shoot his balls at the shoot on the 15th. You da man dude! :eek:

Not to worry though cause it's his GOLF Balls we'll be shooting.:lol:

hahahahahah well said!

pretty much, just show up the morning of, with everything you're going to shoot and enough money in case the folks decide to eat in town, though there IS a grill there...so folks usually bring a cooler with eats and drinks.

bring lots of ammo :eek:

and Ben, yes bring your shotgun by all means!!

winchester 100 round boxes of 12gauge are selling for about 16.95 at wally world..perfect for target clays (which they also have)..there's a clay thrower there!

:lol: