Do any of you have a Kindle e-book reader?

TGO David

• Administrator

earths-biggest-selection-450px._V251249388_.jpg

Just wondering if any of you have a Kindle from Amazon. I am thinking seriously about ordering one of the new DX models with the 9.7" screen as I do a ton of reading (mostly tech books for work) and I get tired of dragging two or three thick reference guides around all the time and don't really want to have to use a laptop just for reading a book.

The added ability to buy a book (at a discounted rate) and have it delivered over the air, immediately, seems like it would be a huge bonus also.

Just wondering if anyone here has one of the existing models and if so what you think of it. The DX isn't supposed to start shipping until the 19th of this month, so I am going to wait and see what the reviewers start saying about that model before I make a move.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a generation 1 and I really enjoy it.

I can't use the whispernet (the wireless service) from home (I'm out in the sticks as they say) but there's no problem connecting at my workplace. I also work in a highly restricted WiFi location and, since it's using basically a cellular service, the net cops don't come looking for me.

I would love ot have one if it wasn't tied to Amazon. I'm looking at several ones that will be released soon that are more "open", in that they work with more formats and aren't tied to Amazon's store.

My wife has the Kindle 2 and loves it. It is very cool plus you can put the books on the Kindle, your computer and I even have them on my iphone, everytime you access the book, it knows where the furthest point read is, regardless of which device you are using or used last, you can go with to that point in the book.

Guest JHatmaker
For the guys that have them, do they "stress" your eyes like a computer screen somtimes does? That was my first thought when they first came out.

No, the screen makes it literally look like you're reading a paper book. It's weird, you gotta see it in person...

Guest HexHead

Just wondering if anyone here has one of the existing models and if so what you think of it. The DX isn't supposed to start shipping until the 19th of this month, so I am going to wait and see what the reviewers start saying about that model before I make a move.

IIRC, the DX has been around for a while now, it's only the ability to download books internationally for the DX that will be new.

I don't have a Kindle per se (yet) but use the Kindle app on my iPhone. It's great, I've read several books already on it, am halfway through another and have one more already downloaded ready to go. I was waiting until I actually got to see one before I pulled the trigger on it. I finally saw one a week or so ago and was impressed with the screen. That was the sticking point for me.

Guest HexHead
Cool. We had to install Sprint PCS repeaters in our facility to even get signal. :)

The new ones with the international capability don't use the Sprint network, they switched to at&t for them.

I don't know when they are going to release the skiff ebook reader or what it will cost but it looks amazing.

CES: Hearst to Show Off The Skiff Reader [PICS]

If you are going to buy one for tech books or if you have a bunch of pdfs laying around that you want to convert I would get the DX. The PDFS on the kindle 1 and 2 look bad but on the DX they look pretty good.

Technical Document PDFs on the Kindle DX — Matthew Williams

Guest peacexxl

Got my 15 yr old daughter a "Nook" from Barnes and Noble. Same concept as the Kindle but better IMO. The color lcd touch screen at the bottom makes everything so much easier it is amazing. It also has the ability to add a memory card (if room for 1500 books isn't enough for you) and download pics and mp3s. Not sure how my daughter listens to music and reads at the same time but I guess that's why she's an honor student.

Guest HexHead
Sorry, I was just commenting on how bad our reception for any signal is in our facility. Do they support WiFi?

From what I gather, no. But they do offer some limited web browsing capability through 3G.

Guest mosinon
earths-biggest-selection-450px._V251249388_.jpg

Just wondering if any of you have a Kindle from Amazon. I am thinking seriously about ordering one of the new DX models with the 9.7" screen as I do a ton of reading (mostly tech books for work) and I get tired of dragging two or three thick reference guides around all the time and don't really want to have to use a laptop just for reading a book.

The added ability to buy a book (at a discounted rate) and have it delivered over the air, immediately, seems like it would be a huge bonus also.

I dont have one but I've used one. Fantastic for tech stuff, not so much for pleasurable reading. Well, at least for me, I like to read in the tub and stuff. With tech books the search function is nice.

Get work to pay for it, hell you're reading the books for them. As for the crappy reception at the office, well, I can't remember the last time I had to have a book that second. I do remember the last time I needed to reference something in a second but I used O'Reilly's Safari for that.

If you are big into supporting authors (and since I am an author you should be) be aware that authors get less scratch for selling an kindle version than they do a hard copy.

To me the Kindle is great for the books you have to buy (text books, manuals and so forth) but not so great for books you want to buy.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had one since they first came out. Generally I use to read 1 book per hitch, month if you will. With the Kindle I have been reading 4 to 5, it is MUCH easier on my eyes then paper. I work on a boat and anytime we are witin cell service my Kindle can download books, if no service is available It can be plugged up to your computer via USB. I can not reccomend these enough. Every person that I have let read it has bought there own. I am thinking of getting a new one, with international service and giving my original to my wife. If you read alot Buy one and you will wonder why you waited so long. I paid ALOT for mine as I got it when they were first released and they were very scarce, I still regard it as one of my best purchases and at the price they are now they are a bargain in my opinion!

I dont have one but I've used one. Fantastic for tech stuff, not so much for pleasurable reading. Well, at least for me, I like to read in the tub and stuff. With tech books the search function is nice.

Get work to pay for it, hell you're reading the books for them. As for the crappy reception at the office, well, I can't remember the last time I had to have a book that second. I do remember the last time I needed to reference something in a second but I used O'Reilly's Safari for that.

If you are big into supporting authors (and since I am an author you should be) be aware that authors get less scratch for selling an kindle version than they do a hard copy.

To me the Kindle is great for the books you have to buy (text books, manuals and so forth) but not so great for books you want to buy.

I disagree, when I travel, every month I always visit the book stores at the airports I go through. I find a book that I like and in 45 seconds I have it on my Kindle without having to add to my luggage, so far I have been able to purchase every book I ever wanted at a discount. Books that are no longer copy write protected can be downloaded and read on the Kindle for free, for me they (kindles) are a Godsend :biglol:

Edited by willis68

I've had the Kindle 2 since it came out.

Pros: screen is easy to read in most any condition, battery life is excellent, reception has been good everywhere I've tried.

Cons: the interface is really sh1tty, and I mean really. They have no idea what a UI should be or how usability is even tracked/measured.

I tried reading books and could never get into it. Plus, how do you loan someone a book? Finally, it's hard to take usable notes in it.

I read the WSJ in it every day and for that it's not bad. I'm not keeping it, though. I'll try an iPad as soon as they come out and sell this one (to someone who hasn't read my review). :up: