Kel-Tec PF9

MphsTiger1981

I'm interested in feedback from actual PF9 owners. I'd like a small 9mm to carry when I'm not carrying my Glock 22. I don't have the money for a Kahr PM9, which I understand is an outstanding gun, but a little pricey for me.

How long have you owned the gun, pros and cons, as well as suggestions for how you carry yours. I'm considering one as a pocket gun, is it too big for most dress pants pockets?

Would you recommend something other than the PF9? Perhaps a .38 snubby?

I see from another current thread that some are experiencing light strikes, is this common?

thanks in advance for your feedback.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, carrying a small gun is a compromise. You trade off something to get something. Ideally, i would carry my PNP-45 as my primary alwayss, and my Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm as my always backup. Unfortunately, that isn't always possible. Due to dress requirements at times, I must carry a smaller backup, and often a smaller primary. I've found the PF9 to be just barely too large to carry in my dress pants pocket. I want to experiment with one of the inside the waist band holster systems like with those that allow the shirt to be tucked in. I don't like the trigger pull on the PF-9 also, but again, the size is likeable. If I can get the light strike issue resolved then I will probably figure out a way to carry the PF9 more due to the concealability. I had a small Taurus .38 snubby but it was at least as hard to conceal as the PF-9/

had a pf-9, liked it for concealability, but not a "fun" gun to shoot. Has a long trigger pull and sometimes hurt my arthritic hands/wrist when firing. Doesn't like lite loads, not recommended for +p ammo. All in all, if all you want is a good bug, that's the one. i found to be less accurate with mine than most my other firearms. I also have the taurus .38 snubbie, that one don't conceal very well, it prints in pockets so iwb carry is recommended. I have converted to the springfield xd9sc for edc. going to us an iwb holster by bullard (recommended by OhShoot) once I get some extra cash. If you want a really small gun, do your research as there are many out there. Pick whatever fits you. JMTCW

I have a g22 and a pf9. I like my pf-9 and it is my edc. I have an uncle mikes pocket holster and it works well. I am 6'2 225.

It is not real fun to shoot after a couple of mags, but I find it as accurate as my g22 up to about 25 feet. The trigger is long. I have never had a ftf or fte, but did have another issue (below) with around 250-300 by me and I don't recall how many by the previous tho owner.

If you get a used one, the ejector roll pins can walk on them, so check that out. After a few fires, the hammer and/or slide will lock. I sent it back to KelTec and they replaced most of the parts on the lower, the grips, polished the feed ramp and shipped it back for free. The customer service is awesome. Heck repairing a used gun for free goes above and beyond in my book.

I'd been considering a PF9 for a BUG or lightweight summer carry gun. I handled them and tried it in my front pocket......still too large for front pocket carry in regular jeans. Cargo pants? Maybe.

I've tried carrying my Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite snubby in my front pocket, but it's way too big to do that comfortably. Without a holster, the handle barely stays concealed in my jeans pocket. I tried a leather pocket holster and it just made it stick out even more.

I've come to the conclusion that if I want to be able to pocket carry, I need a Ruger LCP or a KelTec P3AT. I've been hearing the LCP's are more accurate than the P3AT's, plus they look nicer, so I'll probably end up with an LCP eventually.

So you can shoot +P ammo from them?

Yes. The manual and KT wil tell you that it will handle a moderate amount of +p. In other words enough range +p to know they work but not an every range visit load. I've had two and liked both of them. They are defnitley not range guns. It is comfortable enough for a few mags, but your wrist and hands will know you shot it.;) The trigger pull is long and the reset is long but it works, is a great concealment size, has good capacity for it's size, and customer service is next to none. I like them and recommend them.

Yes. The manual and KT wil tell you that it will handle a moderate amount of +p. In other words enough range +p to know they work but not an every range visit load. I've had two and liked both of them. They are defnitley not range guns. It is comfortable enough for a few mags, but your wrist and hands will know you shot it.;) The trigger pull is long and the reset is long but it works, is a great concealment size, has good capacity for it's size, and customer service is next to none. I like them and recommend them.

Smith,

You have had two of them, but no longer own one? any particular reason why you chose to sell/trade them? Just curious. thanks.

Smith,

You have had two of them, but no longer own one? any particular reason why you chose to sell/trade them? Just curious. thanks.

I'm fickle and get the urge for something new.;) Mostly I just prefer fullsize guns for carry. I got both of the ones I had at various times when I thought about carrying a BUG. I just figured one full size is better than two small cap guns. They are great for what they are. It's just not my cup of tea.

Guest forklift

I've had a PF9 in ODGreen for several months. I have put 400+ rounds through it with little or no problems at all. Yes, that's a lot of rounds for a BUG, but I was practicing for IDPA with it. I am very happy with it in every respect. True, it does have a long trigger pull. That's not really a con for me - what IS, is that you can NOT wear gloves while shooting if they're anything thicker than laytex rubber! :shrug: Reason being, is the trigger needs to fully and I mean FULLY reset back to forward... if you take a look at it, it doesn't lack much space from the front as it is.

I'm fickle and get the urge for something new.:D Mostly I just prefer fullsize guns for carry. I got both of the ones I had at various times when I thought about carrying a BUG. I just figured one full size is better than two small cap guns. They are great for what they are. It's just not my cup of tea.

It's funny you should say that. I have about reached the same conclusion. I sold my P3AT this weekend, essentially just so I could go buy another small gun to carry when I can't carry my Glock. But, after some relatively shallow soul searching, I'm about to decide to just make the Glock my carry weapon and forego the BUG for now. I think I'll just invest the money on more range time, more ammo and some good night sights and another mag or two for the Glock.

....unless I get a really good deal on a PF9 or a Kahr PM9..... :-)

I'd been considering a PF9 for a BUG or lightweight summer carry gun. I handled them and tried it in my front pocket......still too large for front pocket carry in regular jeans. Cargo pants? Maybe.

I've tried carrying my Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite snubby in my front pocket, but it's way too big to do that comfortably. Without a holster, the handle barely stays concealed in my jeans pocket. I tried a leather pocket holster and it just made it stick out even more.

I've come to the conclusion that if I want to be able to pocket carry, I need a Ruger LCP or a KelTec P3AT. I've been hearing the LCP's are more accurate than the P3AT's, plus they look nicer, so I'll probably end up with an LCP eventually.

Have you seen the latest issue of American Rifleman from the NRA? They had a good review of several of the little .380s this month. I have a Keltec P3-AT myself and have had no problems with it. But if I were buying today, I'd look real hard at the new Taurus TCP. It looks to me to be very good and coompares favorable with all the rest. A friend of mine has one and loves it. I like it better than mmy Keltec. Lighter trigger puldd and seems better made.

i had one for a few months. i got it for a steal with intentions of making a little off it. I ran about 3 mags through it for it's size it was very accurate; i could shoot a 6" group at 20 ft. i had no probs with it almost kept it and sold my p3at.

I've had one for just over a year and only carry it when do to style of dress I must (I usually carry a full size).

I've put between 400-500 through it and it's been reliable (I did the fluff and buff right when I got it though).

What can I say... The trigger sucks, it's not real well built, and is not real fun to shoot because of the recoil... That said, it's small and thin, pretty accurate and serves it's purpose quite well. Also, it allows me to practice with it now and then 'cause it takes the more common 9mm which I usually shoot anyway... no driving all over looking for expensive .380.

I've found the Hornady Critical Defense 9mm SD rounds recoil the softest so I use those instead of my usual +P Gold Dots.

For what it is for me, which is a part-time carry when a full size can't be hidden, it's good.

Guest FiddleDog

I had a PF9 and was unable to get past a lot of the finish issues. It was hard for me to really put a lot of confidence behind in it, in spite of the face that it didn't give me a single hick-up. My friends would get stovepipes and nosedives when they would fire it, which leads me to believe that it is very prone to limpwristing. I ended up picking up a Kahr CW9, which has a great finish and is extremely comfortable to carry.

Have you seen the latest issue of American Rifleman from the NRA? They had a good review of several of the little .380s this month. I have a Keltec P3-AT myself and have had no problems with it. But if I were buying today, I'd look real hard at the new Taurus TCP. It looks to me to be very good and coompares favorable with all the rest. A friend of mine has one and loves it. I like it better than mmy Keltec. Lighter trigger puldd and seems better made.

Barewoolf,

I loved the little P3AT, I just grew weary of the constant search to find reasonably priced ammo. I read the article you're making reference to. In fact, the article will probably do nothing but make .380 pistols all the more popular and the ammo that much harder to find! lol...thanks, like we needed that!:screwy:

IMO, the PF9 is a great little gun when you consider the price. True, it is not finished as well as more expensive guns but a fluff and buff helps with the looks and comfort. IMO, the trigger matches the gun. The gun is not built to be a fun gun but a defensive carry gun with a long hard trigger. I would not want the trigger any other way.

JMHO,

oldogy

IMO, the PF9 is a great little gun when you consider the price.

Forgot to mention that. For the money it's hard to argue with the thin 17oz 9mm you end up with, you could spend more and get a Kahr or even a lot more and get a Rorbaugh but they won't do the job any better IMO.

Also, while I said the trigger sucks, I do agree that it's about right for what it is... Without fear of an ND I use the side mount clip or just throw it in a pocket, with a nice trigger I wouldn't be doing that.

Taking a bit of sandpaper to the mold marks on the frame helps out a bit. The recoil is better when the old seams aren't grinding your skin off!

Some owners have discussed doing the "buff and fluff" on their Keltecs. Does anyone have any pics you can post of your PF9 after the buff and fluff?