How do you top off?

iezer

I have not seen anything about this so I thought I'd ask the question. "How do you +1 you carry ammo"? I have trouble dropping one down the pipe with my 1911 so I'll load the mag rack the slide drop the mag and add one back to the magazine. I've also found that my 1911 will not slide completely slide shut when I drop one down the pipe first...

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Todd@CIS

As one of our Dept armorers, whenever I have an officer with a broken extractor, I have them demonstrate their method of loading.

Almost 100% of the time, they're dropping one into the chamber and releasing the slide.

Haven't seen this in a long while and it was always the "old-timers" who did it...apparently, back in the day proper loading was not covered well enough.

Guest That Guy

You put a lot of stress on the extractor when you combat load like that. Always load the mag -> rack the slide -> HOLSTER -> drop mag -> top-off. If you feel the need, unholster and press check for one in the pipe.

Holstering before you top-off keeps the booger-hook of the boom-switch.

Guest peacexxl

WOW! I haven't been shooting long and only handguns so far, but it has never seriously occurred to me to drop one in the chamber. Just seems like an needless risk of catostrophic failure.

Guest IzzyIsaac

i was never instructed on what to do, it was just kinda obvious to me that loading mag, racking slide,(flipping safety), dropping mag, adding one more to mag was easiest?

As one of our Dept armorers, whenever I have an officer with a broken extractor, I have them demonstrate their method of loading.

Almost 100% of the time, they're dropping one into the chamber and releasing the slide.

Haven't seen this in a long while and it was always the "old-timers" who did it...apparently, back in the day proper loading was not covered well enough.

Another "Leathal Weapon" victim no doubt.

Anyway... I don't bother with the +1. I stopped probably a couple of months after I got my CHP. I feel it's not neccessary and I like the freedom of (if I ever need to) putting the gun up for storage (post office, school, prohibited places) I just unload the chamber and not have to deal with an extra round. the magazine is ready with a fresh round on top (I usually rotate the previously chambered round in the magazine) ready to rack and go when I can carry again.