Did anybody else watch Lock n' Load with R. Lee Ermey last night

Guest jsjracing

Guest jsjracing

I loved the compairson between the M16 and Ak-47. The Gunny was a little biased towards the M16 as I am too. If you watched it did you see the slo mo of the AK in full auto. The barrel was flexing up and down that was a great shot. I think the AK won both of the first two tests but kicked ass in the full auto mode!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, a 'little'?

Outside of the full auto the AK one the 'competition'. I guess you could argue accuracy for the concrete block, but at that distance I can't imagine there's much difference in accuracy (they looked like they were about 10 yards away).

That being said, I'd still rather have my AR.

Good show but I have seen it before. That didn't stop me from watching it again. There were a few of the shows back to back.

I thought it was funny when gunny got his nose bit by the scope while firing the 50 cal. Seems to me he should have known better.

I think the AR is superior, you can hit a Man target at 500 yds with iron sights

You "can" because the rifle is capable, but a 2' x 2' square with iron sights is much harder than one would think. I'll be willing to bet that a standing shot at that distance....even with folks here at TGO couldn't make that shot 1 out of 25 times. Unless one has 20/20 vision and the target is painted contrast white 1/2 couldn't even see it.

Good show but I have seen it before. That didn't stop me from watching it again. There were a few of the shows back to back.

I thought it was funny when gunny got his nose bit by the scope while firing the 50 cal. Seems to me he should have known better.

Yeah sometimes on stuff that he should have fired in the military he acts like such an amateur.

When they shot the block. The guy shooting the m16 hit in the middle of the block. The ak guy shot the edge of the block so it fell apart. If the m16 shot the edge it would have done the same and fell apart.

You "can" because the rifle is capable, but a 2' x 2' square with iron sights is much harder than one would think. I'll be willing to bet that a standing shot at that distance....even with folks here at TGO couldn't make that shot 1 out of 25 times. Unless one has 20/20 vision and the target is painted contrast white 1/2 couldn't even see it.

Marines shoot at 500 yds as part of qualification from the prone but 8/10 is a fairly common score

Having never experienced full auto, was Gunny's grip during that fairly common? Down toward the hip, with left arm pushing down on the barrel?

Only if you don't care if you're hitting anything. Proper 'assault position' would be with the buttstock secured under the armpit, and the other arm on the forearm controlling against muzzle rise. Even that is very rarely used these days and I don't believe it is taught in the US military any more. Most common these days is firing from the shoulder.

Proper shooting of an automatic weapon from the shoulder is done with the right foot forward (for right-handed shooters) and leaning forward fairly aggressively. This puts much of your upper body mass behind the weapon to counter-act recoil.

Guest mustangdave

It was a LOCKED & LOADED marathon...all afternoon...you can hit a Man target at 500 yds with iron sights with an M-16 (that's an awful small target)...I gotta agree with I Like Pie...to me the difference between the two platforms is the ammo more than anything...though you can custom build M16/M4/AR's to match...then there is the reliability factor...but thats fuel for another thread.

Edited by mustangdave
I loved the compairson between the M16 and Ak-47. The Gunny was a little biased towards the M16 as I am too. If you watched it did you see the slo mo of the AK in full auto. The barrel was flexing up and down that was a great shot. I think the AK won both of the first two tests but kicked ass in the full auto mode!

It doesn't flex like you think. It is mostly an optical illusion of the recoil and the cleanig rod bouncing. The cleaning rod is the main source of the effect.

When they shot the block. The guy shooting the m16 hit in the middle of the block. The ak guy shot the edge of the block so it fell apart. If the m16 shot the edge it would have done the same and fell apart.

Nope. It wouldn't. 5.56 makes a little hole, while x39 breaks cinder block apart.

It was a LOCKED & LOADED marathon...all afternoon...you can hit a Man target at 500 yds with iron sights with an M-16 (that's an awful small target)...I gotta agree with I Like Pie...to me the difference between the two platforms is the ammo more than anything...though you can custom build M16/M4/AR's to match...then there is the reliability factor...but thats fuel for another thread.

It is a small Target 40'inches tall 20" inches wide, but it gives you great confidence in the rifle when you can hit shots like that at 500 yds especially knowing the ak-47 has a max effective range on a point target of 300yds.

The M16 Qual Course

Nope. It wouldn't. 5.56 makes a little hole, while x39 breaks cinder block apart.

I've got an AR, and an SKS (same x39 round, for those of you playing at home).

I also have some cinder blocks, and need something to do on this snowy Saturday. What type cinder block did they shoot? One of the big ones with the two holes in it, or one of the short, solid ones? What distance? :rolleyes:

Guest rystine

To all of you who seems surprised the Gunny Ermey seems less than completely competent with various guns, it's really pretty simple. Ermey wasn't in combat arms while he was in the military. He spent the majority of his time in the air wing or as a drill instructor. He may act like a hardass weapons expert, but its just that, an act.

Guest Paulie771
I think the AR is superior, you can hit a Man target at 500 yds with iron sights

In my time on the state rifle team and teaching my unit prior to ranges, my experience was that 99% of shooters can't hit an OD pop up target at 300 yards with A2 irons, much less 500. They either couldn't see it or couldn't hit it or were more concerned with hitting the closer targets and saving the 4 or so rounds they would've used on the 300s.

Those of us that were on the rifle team could hit at 600, but the target was 6'x6' and the man sized silohuette was black on white, so it was "easier" to see, but I had to put my dope on the rear sight for 600, get my front sight post even with the bottom of the target board, then hold center mass of the white. You couldn't see the black or if you could it was a spec and not discernable as a man shaped object.

Most soldiers have no business wasting shots past 200 yards. In which case the AK is a fine competitor and the conversation becomes apples to apples.

Edited by Paulie771
Guest Swamprunner
Good show. Watch it all the time. I have noticed though the Gunny is a bit off sometimes in his shooting. Kind of surprises me a bit.

ya, but he nailed the tank with the AT round. My grandson said that he would like to have a job like that, getting to shoot and drive all the fun stuff. :D

I understand it is a smaller hole but if you hit it on the edge it would fall apart. Cinder blocks break easy.

Here is a .223 it is a small bullet.

Edited by m&pc9
Guest mustangdave
In the USMC you shoot from 200,300 and 500 yards (with iron sights) to qualify and if you can't qual at boot camp they send you home because every Marine is a rifleman regardless of what your MOS is.

No doubt...and there are 3 levels of "skill" Marksman...Sharpshooter...and Expert...most leave BOOT as Marksman...and can hone their skill later down the training road.

My son was shooting expert in the pre-quals... on the final day he wound up sharpshooter. He was telling me his shots started hitting just below where they needed to be after the first few, and the sergeant on line told someone there, "Check this man's sights! He's my expert! There must be something wrong!"