Advice on a 9mm for dual purpose.

Guest Boogieman

Guest Boogieman

Been searching the internet for days and still cant come up with an answer I'm satisfied and the search engine here was being rather difficult. I'm hunting a 9mm semi-auto for both fun at the range and to carry. Not licensed yet but planning on it in the near future. I'm also working within a budget of at or around $300. I've had experience with a .22, a .380 and the .40. I'm set on the 9mm so all I'm really looking for is a good solid performer thats not going to be too blocky to carry. I know there are alot of factors here to consider but any help would be greatly apreciated. I'm going to a gunshow in a couple weeks and I want to well informed and have a good idea of what I'm looking for when I get there. Thanks all.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Hate to say it but with that budget I'd say you are going to be extremely limited in choice. You can pick up a Taurus 9mm usually between $300-$400. You might find a used Glock or two for less than $400 if you look real hard.

With your budget, I would say look at Ruger or Taurus. I had a 24/7 that was very accurate and reliable. I have seen some 24/7 on which the overmolded rubber gripping surface had worn considerabily. Regardless, it is still a good gun. There was a dealer on gunbroker who was selling a few used Ruger P85s with an opening bid of $150.00. The finish had a lot of holster wear, but that won't affect function. I had a P85 years ago, and it was a great shooter. Mags, grips and holsters are abundant.

Been searching the internet for days and still cant come up with an answer I'm satisfied and the search engine here was being rather difficult. I'm hunting a 9mm semi-auto for both fun at the range and to carry. Not licensed yet but planning on it in the near future. I'm also working within a budget of at or around $300. I've had experience with a .22, a .380 and the .40. I'm set on the 9mm so all I'm really looking for is a good solid performer thats not going to be too blocky to carry. I know there are alot of factors here to consider but any help would be greatly apreciated. I'm going to a gunshow in a couple weeks and I want to well informed and have a good idea of what I'm looking for when I get there. Thanks all.

In my opinion for that price range you wont find anything worth a damn. That is actually reliable. Sure you can find used guns for that price all day long but not new ones and if you do they wont be any count usually. You get what you pay for.

Have you seen the Taurus PT111 MilPro's? I have one that I've owned for about 3-4 years and it has been a very accurate shooter. I used to carry it when jogging and have put over 1000 rounds through it with only one failure to fire but thats was an ammo issue, not the gun. It is DA/SA, has an easy take down, holds 12+1 rounds and comes new with two mags. Puchased mine for $330 at the gun show and have seen them recently for about the same price.

taurus_pt111.jpg

Edited by Mykltn
Guest bkelm18
In my opinion for that price range you wont find anything worth a damn.

Give me a break. Real good advice right there. :rolleyes: With a sharp eye, deals can be had.

In my opinion for that price range you wont find anything worth a damn. That is actually reliable. Sure you can find used guns for that price all day long but not new ones and if you do they wont be any count usually. You get what you pay for.

:rolleyes::screwy::screwy::screwy::screwy::screwy::screwy::screwy:

You have got to be kidding me. you sir are completly off your rocker!

i dunno what kind of guy he is other then picking on people who don't want to spend $500 or more on a gun.

Taurus MilPro, S&W SW9VE, Bersa, All good "on a budget" choices..

I can't comment on the slim yet. I have not fired it. However it would be around 400 delivered which may be out of reach for the OP.

You might have to look a little hard to find one under 300, but a Smith and Wesson 3rd gen double stack 9mm auto like the 5906 would be hard to beat. Most I've seen are in the 290-350 range.

Might be able to find a EAA Witness in 9mm for 300 or less as well. Not a bad choice at all.

my two cents... save another $100 and get into a used XD or Glock. well worth the extra $$$.

Alpha is right about one thing...you do get what you pay for. Taurus is a gamble...you might get a good one, you might get a bad one.

my two cents... save another $100 and get into a used XD or Glock. well worth the extra $$$.

Alpha is right about one thing...you do get what you pay for. Taurus is a gamble...you might get a good one, you might get a bad one.

Actually they are all a gamble. there's good and bad in all.

Guest rystine

+1000

Guest rystine
Actually they are all a gamble. there's good and bad in all.

True, but you have to admit that the odds swing way in the buyers favor if they shell out the extra $100-$200 dollars for a glock/xd/m&p etc than if they "settle" for a taurus/kel tec/sigma etc.

I've seen EAA/Tangfolo Witness' for around $300, they're reliable CZ-clones...

Although I'd also say if you can save or scrape up another $50-100 you could probably get a used Glock or something that's a step up.

Good luck.

Guest Muttling

I would strongly suggest spending little time at range that rents weapons or with friends who own several. Play around and figure out what you like before buying.

Also, your price range limits your choices significantly. It's well worth saving another $100 to $200 to open up your line of choices.

Must be an H&K guy.

That was uncalled for. My one HK has never given me trouble; I can't say that about one of the multiple Taurii I've had over the years.

Back on topic... check around regularly at the local gun shops. You should be able to find something that will be close to your price range, with patience. If you're in a hurry, it won't be easy.

okay.. I have a gamble for someone..

I'll meet anyone with my SW9VE and 500 rounds of ammo.

You bring the 9mm pistol of your choice and 500 rounds of ammo

First FTF/FTE pays for the other guys 500 rounds AND add's $100 to the Op's gun kitty.

If in 500 rounds there's no FTF/FTE, You have to publiclly admit to a reliable weapon under $300 new AND add $100 to the Op's pot.

Ammo can be a mix of HP and FMJ but whatever it is.. We shoot the same ammo. something like 250 rounds of each same brand, etc...

So if anyone thinks a reliable gun can't be had for cheap.. feel free to take me up on this.