Where can I see a SR-9c ?

Thince1980

I am really interested in buying a Ruger Sr-9c but I can't find anybody around here that has one.

Yes I know, they are only a few weeks old.

I have fondled the full size sr-9 several times and I really like the feel of it.

Plus the ambidextrous safety and mag release is a HUGE plus for a left handed shooter.

Buds has the the sr9c for 398! but I just can't bring myself to buy a gun that I have never handled.

Anybody know anywhere around the Chattanooga area I might be able to hold one of these guys?

I am willing to drive a ways.

Thanks,

Rebtl

*Have already checked

-Sportsman's Warehouse

-Sportsman's Guns

-Carters

-Ammo Dump (lol)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw three of them at the Knoxville fun show last weekend. It is what it is...an SR9 with a slightly shorter barrel and half the grip chopped off. Width is the same.

They were going for $429/39 ($30 more than an SR9). Have never fired either so that is the extent of my experience but I like the way the SR9 feels...undecided on the SR9C.

Yea I like the way the full size feels tool.

From closely inspecting the pictures of compact I noticed changed the mag release somewhat. - Different shape/type of button and its location slightly so I definitely want to see if it feels the same.

Also want to see how short the thing actually is. I can visualize the grip being shorter but I can't feel it. I don't know how short is too short for MY comfort.

I am really hoping to use this as an EDC

Guest CajunKen

They had at least one at Tn Gun Country in Clarksville on Monday. I was a little disappointed in the size. I thought it would be a little smaller. I didn't handle it and I didn't check the price, but they are usually competitive.

Guest Boogieman
I think TCGD had a few today

That'd be a bit of a hike for the OP, lol. They really arent all that much smaller than the fullsize model. The main thing is the grip but overall length and width dont change a whole lot (about 3/4" off the length and about the same on height). Local shop had them for $429 and I think $389-$399 for the fullsize. I was drooling over them myself but they are out of my budget limits.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Yes, Clarksville would be quite a drive for me.

Have you checked up at Benton's?

Where is Benton's?

and I am actually glad to hear about the size you all were talking about.

I actually don't want it to be a ton smaller than the original. Just enough.

I say this because I read somewhere else say the grip was "only a little bigger than a G26"

I didn't like the sound of that because I find G26 to be entirely too small. I want to be able to get my hand around the thing and get a good grip on it.

But a half inch shorter barrel and somewhat smaller grip sounds perfect.

Guest Sgt. Joe

Well I know you probably dont want to drive to Jackson but the Great Outdoors Store had three come in this morning...they have two left:D

If Clarksville is too far I'm sure Jackson would be also but if you are interested in driving that far the # is 731-668-2007. Ask for Andy.

I was out the door tax and Tics for a tad under 450.00

I am sure the other two will be gone fast.

All are stainless over black, I had thought I wanted this one in all black but the two tone looks a lot better than I thought it would and I actually like it.

It also "feels sooo good". Mag release is "D" shaped but in the same place, dont feel quite as crisp as full size. But it is spanking new.

I find it odd they even call this a compact, the barrel is about a 1/2" shorter and with the full size mag or pinky extension the grips are the same size the "c" is actually a slight bit thicker than the full size.

It only feels smaller with the 10 round mag with flush bottom but comes with a pinky extension which makes the grip same length as the FS.

Also the mag extension slips on and off for use with the mags from the full size.

I got mine cleaned tonight and should have short range report soon, I am going to try to shoot it tomorrow.

For now here are some pics.....I do know I shoot crappy pics but I shoot the Rugers better:D and I did these quick so you could see the comparison.The shadows I guess make it look like they are not lined up flush at the back but they are.

I also think this is going to be my EDC as soon as it is broken in, if it shoots as well as the FS I am going to be really thrilled. And like I said it sure feels like it will.

Stacked with extended mag....

DSC01048.jpg

Stacked with 10 round and pinky extension....can be left flush but then no room for my pinky

DSC01053.jpg

Butts...."c" is a bit thicker...So much for "Compact":)

DSC01045.jpg

Together with extended mag....

DSC01056.jpg

Together with 10 round and pinky extension.....

DSC01055.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Joe

Sgt. Joe,

Thanks a ton for the pics and review!

Jackson is about 6-7 hours from Chat so I probably won't be making that drive but thanks anyway. I'm sure I will find one eventually.

They really aren't that much different in size. That really surprises me. But it might be just enough to make the compact perfect for carry.

Looking forward to your range report!

Thanks for the pics. Maybe a few without the extension?? I don't see me getting a "C" but the SR9 has been in my sights for a while now.....:rolleyes:

They have the sr9c at CCA.

Benton's is about a 45 minute drive from Chattanooga. Take 75 north to exit 20. Follow all the signs as if you are going to the Cherokee National Forest. When you get to 411 go towards Benton and stay on 411 through the little town. Benton Shooter's Supply is on the left. Do not speed through Benton as it is the world's biggest speed trap.

I *THINK* I saw a used SR9 on Wednesday at Guns & Leather, IMHO Middle Tennessee's finest gun shop and especially finest range. It's in Greenbrier 6 miles from the Rivergate Mall area north of Nashville. These are great, knowledgeable folks. 615-643-4865. It is worth the trip if they still have it.

Edited by gunrat
Guest Sgt. Joe

Ruger SR9c Initial Range Report.......

I took the new tool to the range today and overall, the gun is a sweet shooter, trigger is crisp pretty much like the full size. There was no noticeable difference in any recoil it was very slight same as the FS. I had NO fail to fire, feed or eject issues what so ever. I shot Winchester White box, some Independence 115 FMJ's and 20 Horady Critical Defense rounds. Some mags were loaded with all three. A total of 200 rounds.

I also did not notice any difference with the ten round (with pinky extension) and the 17 round mags. I do not however think I would be able to shoot this pistol as well with the flush bottom ten round mag.

The sights on this one may need a slight adjustment but I will fire it again before I do anything, my shoulder was bothering me a bit today and it could well have been me. Toward the end of the session either I was doing better or it was. It at first was seeming to shoot left but as I said it seemed to get much better the more I shot which leads me to believe that it was more me than the pistol. At any rate the 8-10 complete misses were barely misses and were head shots at 15-18 yards I did not shoot any farther today. Sight adjustment on this gun is very easy if I need to do that, But I will shoot it again before I do. I dont normally miss that many and just last week put 32 of 34 in the head at 25 yards with the full size at a pretty rapid pace.

HOWEVER.......Such a huge word.... :2cents:

Let me cuss here for a moment (&*(^&)^%^(^())!!!... OK I'm good;)

After somewhere close to 100 rounds I noticed one of the retaining pins (if that is what it is? seems it has to be such?) had worked itself nearly out of the gun!.....It scared the fire outa me! as it was worked out nearly the width of the gun when I noticed it. I feel like another mag or two tops and that pin would have been on the floor:eek:

I have no idea what would have happened if it had come all the way out as there are two of these pins. They are located near the breakdown pin but not part of the normal breakdown.

I used the edge of the mag loader to push it back in and it wasnt all that easy, I was not able to budge it with just my hand. I thought it would stay as hard as it was to push it back in. But after every mag it would be worked out just a little again, I kept pushing it back in and it kept working itself out? The gun was functioning perfectly the whole time even when it was darn near all the way out.

While I am not thrilled about this I am not all that upset either as I am sure my store will make it right, they were getting ready to close until Monday but told me to bring it back then as all the managers were also not there.

They still had the other two as they have been swamped this week with all of the managers and several others gone to some buying shows and have not even had time to put them in the showcase yet. I am going to ask that they just switch it out but I dont know if they will or if they will want to send it in for me. I am going to ask that they just switch it out.

This will be my first experience with returning anything there but I dont anticipate any problems. I also do not THINK this will be an issue with all these guns, I certainly can not be sure about that but just dont think it will be. If they simply switch mine out I will know the answer to that sooner rather than later.

So without the pin issue the gun gets an A+ for at least the first 200 rounds which seems these days to be when the problems are seen with new guns....

With the issue the grade remains to be determined if it is an across the board thing that will just be another slap at an American Company and while they had issues with the triggers on the FS I didnt buy mine until they had all been resolved. Only my Walther PPS has a better trigger than my FS SR9 and not by much really anyway. The trigger on the "c" felt just like the FS.

I said I would be the guinea pig for this one and thus I am:p I really hope this isnt an across the board issue as I really really like the gun:D

Sportsman's warehouse not have one?

haha yes, thats what I thought.

I went in there last week and asked them.

3 guys behind the counter heard me and they all started laughing at the same time.

"That gun just came out 5 days ago, come see us in about 8 months, we might have one"

They were laughing but being completely serious. Sportsmans has good prices but they are horrible about getting stuff in.

I've talked to them about it quite a bit. They get a truck in once a week on sundays, and literally have no idea what they are getting until they unpack it. and what they get is a crap shoot every time.

Guest Sgt. Joe

3 guys behind the counter heard me and they all started laughing at the same time.

"That gun just came out 5 days ago, come see us in about 8 months, we might have one.

That is exactly what my people told me:stunned: but then they had a few in just a week or so, I would expect they will be out and about real soon.

I am more upset today than I was yesterday about mine, but I know there is nothing I can do but wait and see how it all shakes out (pun intended):2cents:

I have been real lucky with everything I have acquired lately so I guess it was just time for a bump in the road.

I do really hope they just switch it out....I dont want to wait any longer and have no idea about Ruger's customer service.