Purchased my first NFA item!!

Guest colombianito1021

Guest colombianito1021
:no1: I am deploying in less then a week so i said F*** it and decided to purchase a YHM Mite. Dennis from G&L was awesome. I called him yesterday and he had the paperwork for me to pick up today. I walked in, payed for the can and walked out. I took the forms to my local sheriffs office and they said it will be ready by tomorrow. They did say that fingerprints are only conducted on tuesdays. I also stopped at Walgreens and got a set of photos. I cant wait to get back and shoot this puppy. Quick question. How do you guys know the status? Is there a website or phone number to call?
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats man! My Dad has a Mite that he got from Guns and Leather. Dennis and the crew are good people. The number to call and check on your status is 304-616-4500, which the NFA branch. I wouldnt worry about calling for another couple of months though.

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop
You will love the Mite. They are so much fun as any can is. Only down side is every 22 I look at now I have to ask:"Does it come threaded or can it be threaded?".

Verne

Ain't that the truth. Having a suppressor changed the way I buy pistols. I immediately start to think about how much it is going to cost me to have threaded.

My favorite host for my SWR Spectre 22 can is a Ruger Mark III 22/45, and that is one of the more expensive (labor wise) 22 pistols to thread for suppression. However in my opinion the various Ruger Mark series pistols are the best pistols to suppress as they seem to be among the most reliable suppressed 22 pistol platforms.

Other top notch candidates include the older high standards especially the bull barrel military target models (please only suppresses a high standard that needs to be refinished any ways as I would not want to modify a nice original example) the same applies to the Colt Woodsman as well. Also the Browning Buck-Mark is a great choice, and is easier/cheaper to have threaded than a bull barrel Ruger Mark series pistol. The Buck-Mark has a better trigger than the Rugger by a landslide (in the stock configuration, when modified the Ruger can be the best)

If you have money to burn get a Beretta 87T with a threaded barrel, I want one so bad but I will wait it out till I find one for a good deal. The CZ Kadet is another top notch although very expensive host.

If you are on the cheap a P22 will get the job done. They are by far the cheapest pistol to suppress. P22 (approximately $300) + Thread adapter ($25) = $325 and suppressor ready.

Guest colombianito1021

Went over to G&L and handed over all paperwork. Took my P22 and dad and recorded him shoot. I loved this little thing. Definitely sounded like a pellet gun. Only complaint was getting 1 failure to eject each mag. Faulty ammo?

Guest The91Bravo

Nice can.

One suggestion... you may be shooting low. If you are, you are anticipating recoil. Especially when you had the failure. If you can see how much you drop your barrel. Take it home and practice dry firing at your TV. That will help your muscle memory and prevent the flinching.

Good Luck, and Rakkasan!!

Guest colombianito1021
Nice can.

One suggestion... you may be shooting low. If you are, you are anticipating recoil. Especially when you had the failure. If you can see how much you drop your barrel. Take it home and practice dry firing at your TV. That will help your muscle memory and prevent the flinching.

Good Luck, and Rakkasan!!

Thanks, it was actually my dad shooting and it was about 3rd time shooting ever for him.

• 1 month later...
Guest colombianito1021

UPDATE- Called BATFE today to see status on the can and they said it has been pending since April 1st. Does anybody know how long it usually takes on pending before approval?

Guest crotalus01

You have a LONG wait. Patience is required in the NFA game. My last can went pending SEP 2009 and was approved in March.

Guest bart_p

Congrats on the purchase. Dad has a nasty flinch going on there. You need to work with him when you get back. Nothing better to learn on than a .22!:(

Bart

you want to check out the rimfire central forums for some work on the P22.

a guy there m1911 has really detailed info on the p22, and apparently there is a lot of work to be done, i hear one of the biggest is grinding down the trigger bar ears, but i think there is a huge pile of things to be done.

RFC Home

+1 (and it's 1917-1911m)

He has apparently been working with the engineers at S&W/Walther to get a lot of his suggested improvements incorporated into the manufacturing process. Which revision you have will determine how many of his mods are reccomended. The newer the model, the fewer tweaks.

Check the magazines. They will have a number printed on the seide. No revision # is the oldest and has problems. Rev A and Rev B are newer and have some of the FTF issues resolved. The "B" rev. has all of his mag mods already done to it from the factory.

from Wiki:

The production year is located on the receiver and is visible through the ejection port when the slide is closed. The year is indicated with a two letter code where A=0, B=1, C=2 and so on to I=8 and K=9 ("J" is never used as a year designator).

That would help you know how much needs to be done to make it a great little P22. Mine's an "AK" 2009 run with the B mags. The only thing I'm planning to do is to polish down the trigger bar ears a little bit more. They are digging into the frame a little bit after about 300 rounds, but not as much as the earlier models did based on some pics I've seen.

I've not had one FTF or FTE using CCI Mini Mags.

1917-1911M's "P22 Bible" can be found here:

http://www.freespeech.com/1917-1911M_P22_bible.pdf