March 2010 Guns & Gear Expo Canceled

• Administrator

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 - For Immediate Release

From the outset we have told you all that we were determined to produce an event that was far more than just another ordinary gun show. We believe that there are plenty of those and that they have all set the bar -- and consequently the expectations of the consumer -- pretty low. The mission of the Guns & Gear Expo is to assemble vendors and factory reps not seen at run of the mill gun shows and to raise the level of what you, the consumer, are willing to accept for the price of admission.

As we have inched closer to the March 2010 show date, we have continued to receive good feedback from those who attended the December 2009 event. Many of the comments have centered around location. Specifically, there has been an un-ignorable demand raised that the event be moved closer to a major metropolitan area.

We agree.

Sadly there is not enough time left to move the March show to either Nashville or Chattanooga (let alone to decide which) therefore we are canceling the March date and setting our sights on hitting the 10-ring for June. We feel that it is better for our vendor participants and for you as the consumer if we postpone rather than push forward with a "bad plan" and risk producing something mediocre. It should be obvious by now that we just don't do mediocre.

Please watch this forum and the GunsandGearExpo.com web site for further announcements regarding the upcoming change in venue. If you would like to make recommendations on where you think the venue should be held (City, Location, etc.) feel free to respond in this thread or by visiting our web site and using the Contact Us feature there.

Thanks.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm in Nashville so naturally I would like to see one held somewhere in middle TN but that's not fair to the Memphis, East TN and Chattanooga members.

Have you guys thought about a floating location so that everyone in the state has an opportunity to attend without it being such a big commitment to try to attend? Have one in each major area of the state every quarter.

I don't understand why you would give into that pressure. The Winchester location is fine. I know I am just one person, but moving it will then cause a hardship for me to attend. And also will take those resources away from the Winchester area.

I don't understand why you would give into that pressure. The Winchester location is fine. I know I am just one person, but moving it will then cause a hardship for me to attend. And also will take those resources away from the Winchester area.

It is a hardship for anyone not in your immediate area.

It is a hardship for anyone not in your immediate area.

This is the site they chose to start with, as far as I know Hero Gear is located in Winchester still, it must of been the reason they chose Winchester to start with.

My work usually dictates what events I can go to. I hope it hits that I can go visit

one of these, whenever and wherever it is. Thanks for the notice.

True statement. Mean while, back at the bat cave, we are getting off topic.

I think I am on topic, maybe your reading something into my statement that is not there.

Guys,

We (David and I) as promoters asked both attendees, vendors, and casual observers a few questions leading up to, during, and after the December expo.

We wanted to know:

1. Do people believe in our concept and vision?

We received overwhelming positive response

2. What can we do it make this a better event?

We received the follwing feedback:

-More vendors

-More attendees

-Closer to a major city

Winchester was selected as the host city for one simple reason:

I had access to a large building at an affordable price.

As a promoter, I am committed to the success of Guns and Gear Expo.

This means that I am (as well as David) are willing to actually listen to the feedback many of you have offered, and if that means selecting another location for the Expo, then we are willing to do that.

As it stands, we are looking at the Nashville/Franklin area as well as the Chattanooga market.

Both have +/- factors, and we will be working hard to make a decision in the coming months on which area of the State we are going to put down roots.

As always, feedback and advice is welcome.

Guest mustangdave

David/Joe...just my :) for what its worth. I'm sure you guys have been scouring the area looking for a suitable site...the Williamson County AG Center comes to mind but RK uses it...the the State Fairgrounds...but its getting closed down...all the usual spots in the immediate area seem less than desirable for one reason or another...I am willing to travel to where ever you put this event on...in Chattanooga there is a venue in the Eastgate area that we participated in AKC sanctioned dog shows for a number of years.

we will be working hard to make a decision in the coming months on which area of the State we are going to put down roots.

Well if you are looking to "Put down roots" Then I would suggest somewhere in the Nashville area (including a 30-40 mile radius of Nashville). There is a high concentration of members in all of the major TN cities but the Nashville area is a central location and while not an easy drive it would be a good day trip from Memphis, Jackson, Knoxville and Chattanooga. Upper East TN would probably have to be an overnighter unless someone really like to do a lot of driving in the same day.

Knoxville would be an option and would include East TN but probably eliminate Memphis and Jackson.

There will not be a choice that will please everyone but I know you guys will do your best.

Have you guys checked out the Camp Jordan spot in Chattanooga? Large building, tons of parking, and right off 75. The few shows I have been to there were ok but if you guys are serious I have felf this could be one hell of a show with any amount of real promotion behind it.

I must agree that a spot in Nashville, although a long drive for me, would be the best location to reach the most available tennesseans. Due to the geographical shape of TN it just makes it impossible to choose a spot that will be truely central to everyone. Chattanooga would be good for me, but I doubt many west tn residents would make that trip

Guest HexHead
This is the site they chose to start with, as far as I know Hero Gear is located in Winchester still, it must of been the reason they chose Winchester to start with.

Then just change the name to the Hero-Gear Expo.

Nashville, Chattanooga... how about split the difference and do it in Murfreesboro? People west of Lebanon can save some real time taking 870. Same with people coming up from the south on I-65.

Speaking for myself, I'd go to Murfreesboro in a heartbeat to attend. Not so much to Chattanooga.

Edited by HexHead
Have you guys checked out the Camp Jordan spot in Chattanooga? Large building, tons of parking, and right off 75. The few shows I have been to there were ok but if you guys are serious I have felf this could be one hell of a show with any amount of real promotion behind it.

Another plus for Chattanooga is the almost complete absence of a any real gunshows in the area. It would also give good access to several thousand Georgians.

Nashville and Knoxville both have a show about every other week.

I thought Winchester was a bit out of the way although it obviously wasn't "too" far out of the way as I did go and overall, thought it was a very good event and would have gone to the March event in the Winchester location.

For what it's worth, my recommendation as you look for a different city/venue is to look for something that is clean and well lighted with a decent parking lot...I know you've got to be concerned with your overhead but one of things I like least about gun shows in general is the type of buildings they are generally located in which seem to be, for lack of a better description, "distressed property". Anything to break that "trend" would be a step in the right direction in my always humble opinion.

Nashville, Chattanooga... how about split the difference and do it in Murfreesboro? People west of Lebanon can save some real time taking 870. Same with people coming up from the south on I-65.

Speaking for myself, I'd go to Murfreesboro in a heartbeat to attend. Not so much to Chattanooga.

Not a bad idea...we've got a beautiful new taxpayer funded "conference center" (as well as some other facilities) here and I have a feeling that they have a LOT of open dates! :screwy:

Edited by RobertNashville
Tuesday, February 9, 2010 - For Immediate Release

From the outset we have told you all that we were determined to produce an event that was far more than just another ordinary gun show. ......Many of the comments have centered around location. Specifically, there has been an un-ignorable demand raised that the event be moved closer to a major metropolitan area......

Guys,

We (David and I) as promoters asked both attendees, vendors, and casual observers a few questions leading up to, during, and after the December expo.

We wanted to know:

1. Do people believe in our concept and vision?

We received overwhelming positive response

2. What can we do it make this a better event?

We received the follwing feedback:

-More vendors

-More attendees

-Closer to a major city

Winchester was selected as the host city for one simple reason:

I had access to a large building at an affordable price.

As a promoter, I am committed to the success of Guns and Gear Expo.

This means that I am (as well as David) are willing to actually listen to the feedback many of you have offered, and if that means selecting another location for the Expo, then we are willing to do that.

As it stands, we are looking at the Nashville/Franklin area as well as the Chattanooga market.

Both have +/- factors, and we will be working hard to make a decision in the coming months on which area of the State we are going to put down roots.

As always, feedback and advice is welcome.

Thanks for listening. That point alone makes you better than the others. :up:Either way on the Nashville/Chattanooga decision, if the date chosen fits within my calendar, count on me attending. :screwy:

Guest Caveman

David & Hero Gear: I would like to say that I will me attending the show when/where ever it may be. I missed the last and was very upset about it. I don't care how far it is I will just stay the night and make a weekend out of it.

Agreed!!

Nashville, Chattanooga... how about split the difference and do it in Murfreesboro? People west of Lebanon can save some real time taking 840. Same with people coming up from the south on I-65.

Splitting the difference between Nashville and Chattanooga would be.......Winchester. Probably part of the reason for the first show being there.

The Boro is only 20 miles past the Davidson County line

Although I was hoping it would remain in Winchester, and become a "go to" destination. You know what I mean...that out of the way restaurant that everyone goes to anyway because the food or service is so special. I actually thought that with the great idea/concept of "expo" vs. gun show, this could be pulled off even in the somewhat remote location of Winchester. But, I understand the business decision of moving the show closer to a population center, with better access for a greater number of people.

Maybe a new location will allow the great expo concept to grow more quickly - And that is more important I think, that the concept has a chance to take off and do well.

No matter where you choose to have the expo, I will attend and will try to get the word out to all my friends, coworkers, etc. If the location is in Middle TN or Chattanooga area, I would be glad to work the show again as well.

Nashville is about in the middle, I'm on the far northeast end 5hr. away, any farther away would be out of the question. Besides , June would be idea for me since I come to Nashville every June for annual studies ( tune-up).