What the FBI Learned about Gangsta Thug Mentality

Warbird

Well, the FBI says this:

• More often than the officers they attacked, gangstas delivered at least some rounds on target in their encounters.
  • Nearly 70% of gangstas were successful (In getting rounds on target) with handguns, compared to about 40% of the victim officers, the study found. (Efforts of gangstas and officers to get on target were considered successful if any rounds struck, regardless of the number fired).

?

So our military troops are bad marksman because the Taliban still exists? Or because terrorists still exist?

Pretzel logic...

AFAIC, these gangbangers are the real deal - they're as likely or more so than you or I to be willing to take a life with little provocation and practice more than both of us combined, most likely.

It doesn't say where they hit though. I doubt they practice more than me, I put a lot of rounds downrange, and I'm actually aiming when I do it. Anyways, as I said, I do consider them a dangerous threat.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Domestic

Good read. Mindset is key in any situation. I myself am always prepared and scanning for a possible threat even in areas that would less likely be prone to an incident. If anything this should encourage all of us to practice as much as possible and not just shooting at the range you should also practice different situations and reactions etc. These guys may be "Cold blooded killers" but they are also just as easily defeated we just have to be prepared and be the first to act.

Guest WyattEarp

now if only LEO agencies would adapt their tactics in how they deal with them. I say give SWAT teams full authority to go into gang infested areas, and anyone wearing gang colors or flashing gang signs gets shot on sight no questions asked. make them afraid, and the bs will stop.

These animals are ruthless, they kill/injure/maim innocent children with their drive-by's, they terrorize good citizens for no reason. They deal drugs to children, they intimidate kids at schools, on the way home from school, at parks, in alleys, on the streets, they have no regard for human life, the law, or anything or anyone else.

declare open season on 'em, and kill 'em all. to hell with their rights, to hell with reform, and prison. doesn't do any good anyhow. put 'em out of their misery and clean up the streets. flash a gang sign, you die. wear gang colors, you die. get caught hanging with gang members, you die.

If you see a gun in hand...shoot. two in the body, one in the head. You had better believe shooting to wound doesn't work. Those guys will shoot you when they're down and bleeding to death. "I'm going to kill somebody...it might as well be you." If you're going to take the time to line up and squeeze, wear a vest. There are fast draw artists who are shooting from the hip at MUCH longer distances than 5 yards. The gun is out, the target is hit and the gun is back in the holster, faster than most people can see. you don't have to line up, with practice you too can shoot from the hip. Oh, yeah...practice one handed with both your normal hand and with the other.

Guest brandon_pitt
If you see a gun in hand...shoot. two in the body, one in the head. You had better believe shooting to wound doesn't work. Those guys will shoot you when they're down and bleeding to death. "I'm going to kill somebody...it might as well be you." If you're going to take the time to line up and squeeze, wear a vest. There are fast draw artists who are shooting from the hip at MUCH longer distances than 5 yards. The gun is out, the target is hit and the gun is back in the holster, faster than most people can see. you don't have to line up, with practice you too can shoot from the hip. Oh, yeah...practice one handed with both your normal hand and with the other.

Speaking of ways to prepare, if you are in an open area try to sprint before shooting. It will get your adrenaline up, sure not as much as an actual situation but better than nothing.

Guest Domestic
now if only LEO agencies would adapt their tactics in how they deal with them. I say give SWAT teams full authority to go into gang infested areas, and anyone wearing gang colors or flashing gang signs gets shot on sight no questions asked. make them afraid, and the bs will stop.

These animals are ruthless, they kill/injure/maim innocent children with their drive-by's, they terrorize good citizens for no reason. They deal drugs to children, they intimidate kids at schools, on the way home from school, at parks, in alleys, on the streets, they have no regard for human life, the law, or anything or anyone else.

declare open season on 'em, and kill 'em all. to hell with their rights, to hell with reform, and prison. doesn't do any good anyhow. put 'em out of their misery and clean up the streets. flash a gang sign, you die. wear gang colors, you die. get caught hanging with gang members, you die.

There are few that share this train of thought but i totally agree. Blaming it on the environment is a cop out. These fools want to be the way they are. They want to be hardcore killers and have war on the streets i say give it to them we'll see whose "gangsta" when that happens.

I can vouch for some of this. No one ever checks my wife who is armed 24/7 same as me. The cops/security folks just do not expect women to be armed, and in her favor, she does not look like a thug so is even less likely to be checked. Recently they did check her purse at an event (there was no posting on the buildiing to say no guns allowed -- I think they were looking for dope/cameras/whatever) and STILL MISSED the gun in it (security, not cops). A bit later, same place, we both had a gun in our pockets and nothing... though those security guys were still up there checking purses. Good thing we are honest and not thugs..!

I carried for years without a holster and still do sometimes. Its plenty effective, the mindset of many is that this is somehow "wrong" or "dangerous" but I can assure you that it works just as well if you practice it and figure out how to manage it.

23 sessions a year? Thats 2 a month and they imply this is a lot of practice. I average 2 a week, you would *think* cops and others in the line of fire could keep up with 30 min twice a week, but they don't. Esp if the ammo is on the taxpayer's dime. I recently talked to an officer about this at the range and he said the department had to go out of its way to help officers qualify, that many could just barely pass the qualifications and that only after one on one sessions for a few weeks.

The rest of it is outside what I deal with, I have avoided the rougher areas since I got out of college. Down at ga-tech, before the olympics razed some of the bad areas, we had a wall to record the gunshots we heard from our dorm and had bullet proof windows.

I am all for cleaning up the streets, but I think your methodology is very dangerous. Yes, they are dangerous people who take pride in breaking the law. But they are still due their day in court under the American justice system. Shoot on sight and arrest without probable cause are the hallmarks of a truly lawless society.

Guest WyattEarp
I am all for cleaning up the streets, but I think your methodology is very dangerous. Yes, they are dangerous people who take pride in breaking the law. But they are still due their day in court under the American justice system. Shoot on sight and arrest without probable cause are the hallmarks of a truly lawless society.

I don't think i would have this viewpoint if it weren't for all the liberals, their bleeding heart outlook on criminals and their precious rights, and all the legal loopholes these animals are allowed to exploit, and continually flooding our justice system with appeals, and intimidation of witnesses that gets the witnesseses to "forget" what they saw or go into hiding and fail to appear to testify, which in turn allows the gangbangers to walk free and continue their reign of terror.

how many more children have to die in senseless drive by's? how many more young lives must be lost due to gang violence? how many simple people must be continually terrorized? how much more suffering and tragedy should our communities continue to endure at the hands of these animals?

what about the victim's rights? their right to the pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness? to grow up happy, with promising lives, to go on to college or the military, and to have fruitful careers, and eventually families and children of their own?

what about their right to walk the streets without fear of being jumped? accosted? beaten into mental retardation due to brain damage from the beatings? stabbed, shot or murdered. without having to fear for their friends safety, families safety.

sorry, you just dont take a water gun to a firefight. The penalties for gang related activity and violence need to become so severe, that the cost of breaking the law is truly unbearable. the methodology in dealing with gangs, gang members and gang violence does not work. They don't fear the consequences, they dont care.

That is some scarey stuff! I need to go to the range more. I like to think I'm a bad Hamma Jamma but I'm just a mechanic. I make a living pulling wrenches and I haven't been in a fist fight in 30 years. I did win that fight though.........

Guest Jamie
Point shooting is only semi accurate to about 5 yards.

If you don't practice it regularly, that might be true.

However, if you send enough rounds downrange, you can and will develop the ability to hit what you're shooting at without ever seeing the sights, or sometimes even the gun it's self, at a considerable range. Sort'a the same way people learn to throw a ball or rock/stone accurately... all without any sights on their hand or arm.

Anyway, it's an interesting article all the same.

Guest db99wj
If you don't practice it regularly, that might be true.

However, if you send enough rounds downrange, you can and will develop the ability to hit what you're shooting at without ever seeing the sights, or sometimes even the gun it's self, at a considerable range. Sort'a the same way people learn to throw a ball or rock/stone accurately... all without any sights on their hand or arm.

Anyway, it's an interesting article all the same.

Aint that the truth. Lot of people discount point shooting, but I don't get it. In my opinion, you need to be decent at it, because I figure in a SHTF situation, I better be doing more shooting then accuracy shooting, especially on the first shot or two, as you are up firing, work your way to the sights. While center mass is nice, as the gangsta's say, don't matter if you hit them in the chest, the legs, or wherever (paraphrasing), you better be shooting quick, accuracy doesn't count when you are dead, do everything you can to win. Pick out a spot on the wall, draw your hand like a gun and point to it, by just throwing up your hand toward it, then look where you are pointing, you will be a lot closer than you think. Will you win a bulls-eye competition, no, but I'm, in a self defense situation, am not going to take my time, even though a few added seconds, to line up my sights before I take that first shot, its draw, point shoot, shoot, repeat and adjust my aim until the threat is neutralized.