"Open" Forum in Memphis - Gun Violence

mpd_seal.jpg

cyberwatchlogo.jpg

The Memphis Police Department is requesting your presence at the upcoming forum

CITIZEN SAFETY COALITION ON CRIME

Together, we are making Tennessee safer.

Tennessee still has some of the weakest laws against gun violence and illegal possession of guns by convicted felons in the country.

We need your help in sending a strong message to our state lawmakers to strengthen Tennessee ’s crime laws, particularly those involving guns.

In preparation for the state’s 106th General Assembly on Capitol Hill in Nashville , you are invited to attend the Citizen Safety Coalition’s Forum on Crime.

February 11, 2010

Jewish Community Center

6560 Poplar Avenue

7:00-8:30 P.M.

At the forum, you’ll hear from Congressman Steve Cohen, State legislators including Representative John DeBerry, City of Memphis Mayor A C Wharton , Shelby County Mayor Joe Ford, Shelby County District Attorney General Bill Gibbons, Shelby County Sheriff Mark Luttrell, Memphis Police Director Larry Godwin and City of Memphis Council member Jim Strickland. There will also be presentations by families of crime victims.

Also, if you would like to participate in the Citizen Safety Coalition please email Linda K. Miller at lmiller@memphiscrime.org or call 901-527-2600.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I checked, we don't have weak laws...we simply have laws that are not enforced against criminals, and when they are, judges/DA's offer stupid plea bargains that only help the criminal.

Matthew

WRONG! Plea bargains are offered only to save some taxpayer money AND keep the criminal off the streets. Sometimes if the DA has a weak case with little real evidence, a plea is better than taking it to a jury.

Never ever will a District Attorney agree to a package that benefits the criminal!

Tom

Edited by TCW
  • Moderators

Bill Gibbons was on D&Z yesterday talking about this. The weak laws are the state's sentencing guidelines that point to diversion programs for first offenses, probation second time around and then when they finally do lock someone up the actual jail sentences are short with many times only 1/3 of time served before parole even for violent crimes. This is what leads to the revolving door effect that many of us have noticed commented on.

As citizens we need to press our legislators to change the guidlines in a manner that getting caught and going to jail is actually a deterrent as opposed to the cost of doing business. Changes like longer sentences, no parole for violent offenses, more measured use of diversion and probation for only the least of offenses, not for any violent or aggressive crimes. I would also like to see a strong 3 strikes law in place as well, if they can't shape up and fly right after two tries, F' em.

Guest mosinon
But what happened to the NO DEALS ads I used to see. Where criminals were not even offered plea deals.

Sorry, Take away the country club jails and make them do hard labor like in the past and crime will go down.

Just so I know, which jails are country clubs?

As far as crime decreasing if we had tougher jails like in the past, maybe if you mean 1993 as the past or something. Check it out:

ViolentCrimeRateTrend2.gif

Sorry, but I'm not seeing where we are failing as a country on this. Crime is consistently down (maybe until the recession) and your solution to the situation is to roll things back to the olden days when the crime rate was higher?

Are any of the jail inmates worked at Shelby Farms? If they are not, then that is a problem. Lots of wide open space that would be perfect for chain gains to take care of the parks and other government buildings.

Memphis doesn't want to fight crime....if Memphis wanted to fight crime...you'd see a lot more LONG sentences handed out, death penalty senteces, and less hookers, drug dealers, and bums roaming around. Memphis won't see crime drop until Memphis cleans up the little problems that lead to big problems like hookers and bums that roam downtown....ohhh but wait they vote for the idiots that run Memphis!

The Shelby County Correctional Facility used to be known as the Penal Farm. It was called that because it was a self sustaining facility worked by the inmates. It is no longer self sustaining. They men in that facility have cable tv, enough workout equipment to stay fit and quite the library. They receive three meals a day (not steak but hell, i eat fast food anyways). And best of all, they get all of this by being a criminal. I however, have worked my entire adult life and stayed honest and only recently got to a place where I could afford things like cable tv.

My idea of prison is not what we have now. Prisons should be self supporting and the inmates should be working. Instead of creating a lounging area for them, create an environment where they learn something that might help them out of prison. I don't care if it is farming, something mechanical, or whatever. Giving them a stay at the Ritz clearly isn't working so lets try something a little different.