Winter Olympics

Rightwinger

The better half is making me watch the opening ceremonies of the Winter Olympics. I was switching back and forth with what I thought was the actual truck race on Speed only to find out they are replaying last years race due to a rain out.

So, does anyone else already get the feeling that China kicked Canada's butt with the opening ceremonies? That said, I don't think any other country has spent like 10% of the GDP on an Olympics.

My other question is what is that disturbing looking thing in the ceiling of the stadium? Decorum prevents me from stating what I first thought when I looked up and saw it on the big screen!

Oh, and I'm first in on the Olympics! woot:rolleyes:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jcochran88
The better half is making me watch the opening ceremonies of the Winter Olympics. I was switching back and forth with what I thought was the actual truck race on Speed only to find out they are replaying last years race due to a rain out.

So, does anyone else already get the feeling that China kicked Canada's butt with the opening ceremonies? That said, I don't think any other country has spent like 10% of the GDP on an Olympics.

My other question is what is that disturbing looking thing in the ceiling of the stadium? Decorum prevents me from stating what I first thought when I looked up and saw it on the big screen!

Oh, and I'm first in on the Olympics! woot:rolleyes:

That's why we have 2 tvs so I don't have to watch crap like that!

Guest mosinon

I like the Olympics but never watch the ceremonies.

I wait until the contests start and crank the heater to ~85 degrees. Nothing better than watching people freeze while you're sweating.

Now that the parade of Jamaica is over, let's fun this one up. It's a safe thread to post in tonight anyway so I'll probably just stay in this one.

Anyone that can catch a reference to Global Wamring, diversity, re-distribution of wealth or any other PC statement, Post the cliff notes version and we will keep a count. It's on NBC after all, how could they not work it in somehow. Commercials do not count!

I wasn't paying much attention during the trudging of nations but will perk up a bit now waiting to see who lights the flame.

Anyone that can catch a reference to Global Wamring, diversity, re-distribution of wealth or any other PC statement, Post the cliff notes version and we will keep a count. It's on NBC after all, how could they not work it in somehow. Commercials do not count!

Ahh, darnit. They just said something about "The diversity of this country", but I wasn't paying enough attention to remember which country it was.

Must be global warming, they're having to use snow machines for some of the courses.

Or the greedy USA, stealing all the natural snow for themselves. :D:p

That was horrible. The Georgian contingent still marched and came out with black bands on banner and arms. They represented the competitive spirit well.

That's what I wish they would get back to. Stop the production and see how many special people we can get on TV and just introduce the countries athletes and let's get it on!

So far I have noted that the creative team for Canada has

A. Ripped off China for the interactive floor

B. Riverdance for tap dancers

C. Hee Haw for fiddle players

D. So You Think you can Dance for folks that can't tap

E. Charlie Daniels for tearing up fiddles

We got lots of time left, I'm sure they can work some more subliminals in.

I've see the whales and the trees....couldn't take points for them as no direct commentary was forthcoming.

Guest HexHead
I heard earlier that the Opening Ceremony cost between $30 and $40 million. Looks to me like Canada got ripped off.

China's cost $450 million. I thought the opening ceremony was really cool. Awesome effects.

Guest HexHead
Geez,

Now they ripped the guy on a wire thing off of China.

Hex,

You did mean that China's was awesome right? This one is China Lite to me.

Didn't watch China. I don't give a crap about the summer Olympics, other than occasionally watching table tennis or the other crap they run at 3am when I can't sleep. Anyone that watches gymnastics is a closet pedophile.

The Winter Olympics rock. Far superior, though I think ladies figure skating should be done naked. Katerina Witt came the closest to that ideal. :D

What's better than the biathalon? Skiing and shooting. B)