Need help on choosing a .22

Guest Jon

I've been thinking about picking up one of the Remingtons because they are priced so cheap, but still ended up going with another 10/22 this past weekend as part of two seperate project rifles I'm working on. For me one of the biggest reason's I like the 10/22's are for the simplicity of them as far as stripping one completely down, trigger group and all. I also have a stainless WallyWorld special model with the longer barrel, and at 50 yards it is much more accurate than the Marlin 60 that I have.

Let us know how well your Remington does though, because for some reason I've been on a big .22lr kick here lately and might end up picking one of those up as well.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 10mm4me

If you want a semi-auto .22, go to a gun show and pick up a Remington Nylon 66, this is by far, the best semi-auto .22 ever made. I have one and would not take any semi-auto over it. They can be had for around $200 in excellent condition. Read some of the crazy ass testing they did on this thing. It was deemed one of the 100 most important firearms ever developed because of it's groundbreaking use of synthetics. It was one of the first synthetic stocked rifles and indeed the entire rifle is nylon except the barrel, even the receiver.

If you want a semi-auto .22, go to a gun show and pick up a Remington Nylon 66, this is by far, the best semi-auto .22 ever made. I have one and would not take any semi-auto over it. They can be had for around $200 in excellent condition. Read some of the crazy ass testing they did on this thing. It was deemed one of the 100 most important firearms ever developed because of it's groundbreaking use of synthetics. It was one of the first synthetic stocked rifles and indeed the entire rifle is nylon except the barrel, even the receiver.

It is also the most difficult gun to totally strip down I have ever had. But yes---they are GREAT Guns.

Going tomorrow to sight in the rifle.

I know the trails at prentice cooper are closed til april but is the firing range open?

Anyone know any good free ranges around the Cleveland area?

Guest 1ibfine1

New

Ecomony Class - Ruger 10/22 auto

First Class - Cooper Model 57 over a Kimber Bolt

Past sweet rifles

Browning Beligum take down auto

Marlin 39A lever

Just my favortes.

Guest smileyguy

I got the Marlin 795. It is a good gun. It's accurate, reliable, and very cheap. It's great for taking squirrels or other small critters. The problem, magazines. The 795 comes with 1 10rnd mag. Additional 10rnd mags are at least $25 a pop. No hi cap mags are available.

If you just want to hunt or maybe plink a can or 2 ever now and then, get whatever you like, but if yoou ever want to go out blast through a couple hundred rounds of 22 just because it's cheap and fun, best stick with the Ruger and a couple 30 round mags. They are all capable small game guns, but the Ruger wins out on fun factor. I wish I would have spent the extra $100 dollars on the Ruger.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had many different .22s over the years ........... and Marlin makes a great tube fed bolt action and semi-auto that are hard to beat. But, to be honest, the only .22LR dedicated semi-autos that I have now are both Ruger 10-22s ........... they are tough, reliable, have a solid resale value and a multitude of options. I keep going back to the 10-22

You really can't go wrong with a Marlin, Savage, Ruger or Remington based on your own personal preferences. But for the money, I would definately place a Ruger 10-22 as my top pick for a budget rimfire.

I have a 10/22 and a Browning SA-22. I shoot the 10/22 a lot more. The 10/22 has...

1. Probably the best removable magazine on the market

2. Great reliability. It eats everything I've fed it.

3. A ton of aftermarket stuff available.

I customized mine for plinkability. Hogue stock, Volquartzen extended mag release, and Volquartzen hammer kit (for reduced trigger pull).

Guest Bowdenknxvll

I would look around for an older Mossberg(46b,144, etc). You can usually get them for less than $200.00 and they are built like tanks. I have had over 20 or so .22s and the Mossbergs and a few older Remingtons are the only ones I have left.

I always thought the 10-22 was average at best. BUt shot OS's the other day and his rifle is a tack driver. I was totally impressed.

it is on my wish list now.

The accuracy of my stock carbine is good with its favorite ammo. You can take a 10-22 as far as you want to go, and do it as budget permits.

The accuracy of my stock carbine is good with its favorite ammo. You can take a 10-22 as far as you want to go, and do it as budget permits.

I am sure this thing has been tweaked, the stock certainly was not factory. I was just shooting bulk ammo too. I would not hesitate to get one.

Haven't shot mine since the upgrades. The factory carbine stock is cheesey, and the trigger pull is heavy. From what I've read, there's very little to be gained with a barrel upgrade.

Mine is most accurate (so far) with plain ole Super X. Haven't tried the bulk stuff yet.

I've owned several .22's over the years, and shot even more. the 10/22 is my favorite so far.

I am sure this thing has been tweaked, the stock certainly was not factory. I was just shooting bulk ammo too. I would not hesitate to get one.

Only actual functional diff in that one is a drop-in Volquartsen hammer to lighten trigger pull some.

Note that it quit driving tacks soon as it heated up, though.

The thicker .920 target barrels are supposed to be more forgiving of that phenomenon. But no dovetail on those for iron sight, so you're totally dependent on scope when the zombie groundhog hordes attack.

- OS

Only actual functional diff in that one is a drop-in Volquartsen hammer to lighten trigger pull some.

Note that it quit driving tacks soon as it heated up, though.

The thicker .920 target barrels are supposed to be more forgiving of that phenomenon. But no dovetail on those for iron sight, so you're totally dependent on scope when the zombie groundhog hordes attack.

- OS

Time to grab the scatter gun :P

We stuck a half inch dot on a target one day and sent it out to 25 yards. I dont know about yalls eyes but I can barely see a half inch dot at 25 yards. I lined up my stock 10/22 carbine's iron sights and sent a round down range. Perfect hit! Thats accurate enough for me.

We stuck a half inch dot on a target one day and sent it out to 25 yards. I dont know about yalls eyes but I can barely see a half inch dot at 25 yards. I lined up my stock 10/22 carbine's iron sights and sent a round down range. Perfect hit! Thats accurate enough for me.

I have a Weaver 3-9 AO Rimfire on mine. I can see the thumb print on the dot at 25 yds :P. I don't even try to shoot irons anymore.