Interesting Article In Tennessean . . .

I was at my father in law's house and was reading his copy of the Tennessean since I do not subscribe. Imagine my surprise at the following article.

Mark Cook: Attention seeker casts bad light on good people

I knew my friend the Captain for more than 10 years before someone pointed out to me that he generally was packing a handgun.

That revelation was in no way alarming to me. In the 10 years that we had been acquainted, I had come to appreciate the Captain's goodwill, faith and good judgment.

The Captain served in the Marine Corps, Force Recon. He knows how to do a lot of things that he will probably never have to do.

The fact that he carries a gun is neither paranoid nor aggressive. To someone with his background, I imagine he sees it not unlike carrying a lug wrench in his car. And knowing his character, I'll bet he secures his pistol each day saying to himself, "I might need to defend someone with this someday."

My friend loves the outdoors. He loves Radnor Lake. He is a member of the Team Green outdoors club. I can only presume that he has gone hiking while legally carrying a handgun. But I can only presume that. He hasn't announced it, and he certainly hasn't brandished it.

Last week a gentleman from the Grassland Community who apparently has a different philosophy about carrying guns filed a lawsuit against a state park ranger for unlawfully detaining him in December after he carried an automatic pistol on a sling through the park, apparently to test the law that allows people with permits to carry handguns in state parks.

The same man was questioned by Belle Meade Police in January after he marched down Belle Meade Boulevard carrying a black powder pistol.

Having been detained at Radnor Lake for about 40 minutes after being caught jogging on the trails, I have a hard time sympathizing with this provocateur. It was my first visit to Radnor in the 1990s when I inadvertently disobeyed this rule while running with friends. After seeing the number of people who use this park, I certainly understand the public safety interest of the running ban. I was wrong and should have known better.

I would anticipate being questioned by rangers if I carried a machete on the trails, much less flashed a big commando weapon around.

My friend the Captain isn't likely to be questioned about his gun. He is your typical handgun carry permit holder.

There is nothing to fear from him or his ilk.

Edited by Luckyforward
Removing spaces
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's very surprising to see any form of news paper call out someone as an attention seeker like that, and kinda show their support for normal HCP holders in that way. As with anything attention seekers always give people in their group a bad name, and it's good to see an article pointing out that this type of behavior is NOT the behavior of your typical HCP holder.

Mark Cook: Attention seeker casts bad light on good people | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

It appears to be an opinion piece. What is surprising is that he is the editor and General Manager. So wow!

That is a big wow. Almost makes me want to email him to thank him. I'd have to let him know how I found out about it since I canceled their rag sometime ago for being so anti gun. :D

Edited by DavidD
....until he said this...:D

"He is your typical handgun carry permit holder."

I don't see that as a bad thing. He was talking about the Captain who carries every day and no one knows it. He's not trying to attract attention to himself or his weapon just like it seems that most of us are. I CC all of the time and I'm happy if no one knows it.

I don't see that as a bad thing. He was talking about the Captain who carries every day and no one knows it. He's not trying to attract attention to himself or his weapon just like it seems that most of us are. I CC all of the time and I'm happy if no one knows it.

I totally agree; I interpreted the comment as you did . . . the typical concealed carrier "carries" and does not feel the need to broadcast it, just as the Captain did.

....until he said this...:D

"He is your typical handgun carry permit holder."

Ooops, My reading comprehension was on vacation when I read this.

The Captain is like most of us, or visa versa. I carry almost all time and no one knows. I like it that way. It was a good article and a bit of a surprise to see it in the "Tennessean"