22 plinker just for fun

smopoim86

I'm wanting to get a new 22 pistol to play with a bit. I've been eying the Ruger Mark III hunter 6-7/8". I'm wanting something with a scope mount and a fairly long barrel. Another reason for wanting the ruger is this little piece of magic. Currently I have a couple old 22 pistols from dad: a mark II and a beautiful Browning challenger 2. I like them both but I'm looking for something to trick out with a scope or red dot and maybe something else at some point.

Anything to recommend that would give me what I'm looking for?

Thanks

Daniel

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try and find a used Ruger MKII 5.5" bull barrel, take it apart and lightly polish all friction contact points. Handfit a Marvel trigger Marvel Precision 1911 .22 rimfire Conversions. Then install a Volquartsen sear Rimfire Sports & Custom: Ruger Mark II, Mark III & 22/45 Accessories. Attach an Ultradot Matchdot Matchdot. You should have a 2lb trigger with a clean break which can be adjusted to meet the precise part of your finger pad that makes you an efficient shooter with no pre or over travel. Get the grips of your choice and you will be set up to compete in nearly any event. By the way, your dad has provided you with a couple of great pistols. "Old" does not necessarily make them obsolete when it comes to good shooting. Depending on the style of the MK II you have you can make that one into a competitive pistol like the one menioned above. You should spend some time on this website: RFC Home

Craig

Try and find a used Ruger MKII 5.5" bull barrel, take it apart and lightly polish all friction contact points. Handfit a Marvel trigger Marvel Precision 1911 .22 rimfire Conversions. Then install a Volquartsen sear Rimfire Sports & Custom: Ruger Mark II, Mark III & 22/45 Accessories. Attach an Ultradot Matchdot Matchdot. You should have a 2lb trigger with a clean break which can be adjusted to meet the precise part of your finger pad that makes you an efficient shooter with no pre or over travel. Get the grips of your choice and you will be set up to compete in nearly any event. By the way, your dad has provided you with a couple of great pistols. "Old" does not necessarily make them obsolete when it comes to good shooting. Depending on the style of the MK II you have you can make that one into a competitive pistol like the one mentioned above. You should spend some time on this website: RFC Home

Craig

I have the Mark III Hunter and love it! I've been using a cheap Barska Red Dot that does ok in-doors. I'm thinking about a scope to replace it though. I also have the ultimate (cringe) clip loader and it works really well. Makes it a snap to blow through a 550 count box of Federals so be careful! The gun is very heavy buts makes target shooting a snap due to very little recoil. Plus, it's a snazzy lookin gun.

You might look at the Beretta Neos. It has a built-in scope rail and is available with a 6" barrel. Ours has been very reliable with a wide variety of ammo. Magazines are cheap and easy to reload.

Second on the Neos. It's less expensive than the Ruger, easier to strip and clean, shoots great and comes with the rail you'll need when you decide to strap something else on it.

If you're stuck on the Ruger, get a used Mark II instead of the Mark III.

I'm trying to save up for the Neos myself.

I'm wanting to get a new 22 pistol to play with a bit. I've been eying the Ruger Mark III hunter 6-7/8". I'm wanting something with a scope mount and a fairly long barrel. Another reason for wanting the ruger is this little piece of magic. Currently I have a couple old 22 pistols from dad: a mark II and a beautiful Browning challenger 2. I like them both but I'm looking for something to trick out with a scope or red dot and maybe something else at some point.

Anything to recommend that would give me what I'm looking for?

Thanks

Daniel

I use the Ruger Mark III, and I also have that cliploader. It is really fast, but can be finicky sometimes. Still, it beats handloading. I can burn through ammo fast using it, and now I think nothing of going outside and burning through 100 rounds in a few minutes. I am out there to shoot, not load magazines, so I like it.

Guest Eagle One

Me and a friend took our handguns to the state park firing range last fall and he took a turn with my Baretta Neos. At 10 yards with 10 rounds all were in the center of the target, looked like one big hole, he was so impressed that now he wants one. He has looked at all of the other 22LR's and keeps coming back to the Baretta..... He did better than me (how embarrasing).....

I bought the Mark III Hunter with the 4" bull barrel. The grips feel good in the hand and the scope rail is in the box. I havent shot it yet but I am looking forward to it. Oh yea, I got mine in Knoxville for about 579 New and then the tax and stuff added on.

Edited by merrifjs
can't go wrong with the Ruger, you really can't

I love my Mk3 but it has issues with jamming. I mean every 20 rounds or so, it will fail to eject, and the casing will bind up the bolt and bend the round that is feeding. I have cleaned it and shot different ammo types through it, tried a few different magazines, it keeps doing it. I heard some of the Rugers have extraction problems, but I am not sure about that.

i second the vote for a Ruger. i have the 22/45 and it has become one of my most favorite guns to shoot. it always goes to the range. i have added a $100 red dot and also have done the 1911 brip mod. i added Hogue wraparound 1911 grips. you can find how to do this on the internet but i machined off the integral grip panels. i then installed 1911 grip bushings and the grips. i also have the "ultimate clip loader" ( i know it is a magazine, i didnt name the thing) and i can give it two thumbs up, but it makes it very easy to run through a brick of 22-bill

fp6p0x.jpg

Guest smileyguy

This doesn't fit your criteria for a scope, but I can't wait for this to come out in 22lr.

Kel Tec

Looks like it will be a blast. MSRP of $415 which means it will sell for $300-350.

Guest tlondon

I would agree with the neos. I have one and it loves the cheap bulk ammo. It has a built in scope mount already. I have a cheap-o red dot scope on it and it is extremly accurate. and pretty inexpensive at about $250

Guest smileyguy
Hell, about same cost as shooting 9mm, though.

- OS

That's why I said I can't wait for the "22lr". Although, that 22 mag would be a hoot to shoot.

Thanks for the link! Just ordered the 'clip' loader for my wife. It will complement her Woodsman nicely.

By the way, if you're interested I have a silhouette model buckmark that needs a home.

I think I'll take you up on that. The ruger can wait a little longer.