UT bans gun ownership of all student athletes.

Guest redbarron06

Univ of Tennessee is a state school partly funded by taxpayer dollars in Tennessee. It is not a private school. Vanderbilt is a private school. This is complete garbage that my tax money is partly funding this complete disregard for the law.

As an alumnus, they have received the last penny of my private funds. I have been very unhappy with the performance of the MTAS and CTAS, both which are funded and governed by UT. For those who have short memories, MTAS was the author of the Resolution against HCP carry in parks last year that was sent to every municipality in the State, informing them how to preclude HCP carry in parks, and provided a written template to do so.

Your tax dollars at work.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an alumnus, they have received the last penny of my private funds. I have been very unhappy with the performance of the MTAS and CTAS, both which are funded and governed by UT. For those who have short memories, MTAS was the author of the Resolution against HCP carry in parks last year that was sent to every municipality in the State, informing them how to preclude HCP carry in parks, and provided a written template to do so.

Your tax dollars at work.

MTAS, CTAS, CGT, and some other acronymic factions of UT's Dept of Public Service have always existed primary to influence local politics statewide in ways to enhance the status (follow the money) of UT, and yes, generally with a liberal bent. They are basically lobbyists once removed.

- OS

MTAS, CTAS, CGT, and some other acronymic factions of UT's Dept of Public Service have always existed primary to influence local politics statewide in ways to enhance the status (follow the money) of UT, and yes, generally with a liberal bent. They are basically lobbyists once removed.

- OS

I fail to see how putting their power against the gun owning public in any way enhances the stature of the UT organization. I suggest it is more to advance a Progressive (read anti-gun) agenda with my tax dollars against my interest.

I also have learned that the TAS's are one of the largest lending institutions to the Counties and Cities in the State. Somehow they have morphed from being a legal opinion giver to bankers.

See the First.

The second is not being infringed here because the university is not the Government.

I'm not sure that's exactly accurate. All entities under the UT system and the TBR fall under the Tennessee Higher Eduction Commission and are State of Tennessee institutions. The board responsible for overseeing UT system schools falls under the Executive Branch of Tennessee's government and as such is appointed by the governor.

UT takes state funds, they are bound by state and Const law. No different than freedom of religion and press. They can't tell you what religion to follow, they can't stop speech and they can't deny you the right to own a firearm.

This policy is a violation of the 2nd and 14th.

Are you sure?

I have only seen where lawsuits had been filed against Government housing.

Problem here is, you do not have a right to play sports.

If you want to play, you must follow their rules.

If their rules say no guns, then you willingly give up your right in order to play.

If you chose to retain your rights, then you don't play.

There is no forcing anyone to do anything here.

It's no different then me letting you play football in my backyard because you own guns...

There is a big difference between rules that govern behavior and banning const. rights.

The school does not have the authority to stop ownership of anything legal. IT is not a private institution.

If this is allowed to stand, then all schools will do it. Then an athlete that owns guns will have no place to play. Then he will not have a degree or career. Now his right to a job has been infringed. Just like the NBA player that choked his coach. The NBA could not fire him because it denied his right to his job.

slippery slope. This is the kind of thing anti-gun nuts love. They love that some are to blind to see that this will set precedence. Once it goes unchallenged, they will apply this to other institutions. This is another test. They will not stop here.

once a bunch of these gun owning southern athletes start going to Florida or Bama, the school will think twice.

Edited by gotigers
Guest 270win

This policy is no different than telling an athlete he can't go to a Catholic church because coach is Church of Christ....thus stomping on a right that a student does away from campus. Alums and TN taxpayers need to put this AD in his place.

Guest mosinon

I can see it now....

Coach recruiting player:

Son, you own any guns?

Player: Well I hunt every year with my Dad so I own a...

Coach: Let me stop you right there. What was your 40 time?

Player: 4.45

Coach: Those are your Dad's guns. Sign this letter of intent.

This rule is pablum. And those who say it will go away as soon as UT loses some recruits over it (not that UT will) are correct. A stupid rule that does nothing.

not sure if the school has a rifle team but many do. do this mean that under the new rule that this team would have be be banned. and in most cases the rifle teams are mostly female teams which brings me to another point Title 9 if they have to do away with the team then in most cases they would have to do away with a male sport as well, there has to be a ratio of male and female sports under title 9

Guest mosinon

I don't think UT has a rifle team and if they did it would be UT's guns and not the scary privately owned firearms.

Title nine is an interesting conversation.

Ok, I'm stumped now.

Never thought of a university as being a form of Government :shhh:

Still don't see anything really wrong with it though.

Like I've said, its a conditional thing. They are not forcing anyone to do anything here.

Guest bkelm18
Ok, I'm stumped now.

Didn't you hear, it's Obama's fault. He nationalized every school in the country and turned them into Gestapo Training Centers. Get with the times man. :P

Ok, I'm stumped now.

Still don't see anything really wrong with it though.

Like I've said, its a conditional thing. They are not forcing anyone to do anything here.

The condition you speak of is a denial of a citizens Right to keep and bear arms, if they want to "play ball". Might as well burn the rest of the Tennessee Constitution with relationship to being a student at UT if this travesty is remains in force. If this is allowed to stand, then it will just as easily be "no voting in Republican primaries" next, and Baptist only, no Catholics or agnostics allowed. If the Government is bound by the consent of the governed to not infringe on these rights, why would a University be allowed to do so?

It is no different than an employer mandating that it's workers not be in possession of a weapon off it's premises, (except that private enterprises are not funded by TN tax dollars as is UT). Article 1, Section 26 of the TN Constitution says it is left to the State Legislature to control who and where weapons may be kept and borne.

The University is taking to itself powers given to the State Government only, under TCA39-17-1314 "no city, county, or metropolitan government shall occupy any part of the field of regulation of the transfer, ownership, possession or transportation of firearms, ammunition or components of firearms or combinations thereof; provided, that this section shall be prospective only and shall not affect the validity of any ordinance or resolution lawfully enacted before April 8, 1986."

Given that somehow regulating a Constitutional Right becomes the purvey of the University, this was not in place prior to April 8, 1986.

Guest mikedwood

UT gets more insane every year. I don't understand how anyone can support them.

I wasn't born a Florida Fan I was made that way years ago. I keep wondering how much you UT fans can take before you choose another school to root for out of spite as I have.

it is conditional until all schools do it, following the precedence that UT starts if left unchallenged. Once all schools are doing it, then it is being forced on all students. Slippery slope. The anti gun nuts will not stop here.

Gun ownership is an absolute right, with the proper exception for felons, given to us by our founders. Any infringement on this right chips away at that right. They will keep chipping away until the right is gone. We must be vigilant.

2nd or none

Edited by gotigers
I can see it now....

Coach recruiting player:

Son, you own any guns?

Player: Well I hunt every year with my Dad so I own a...

Coach: Let me stop you right there. What was your 40 time?

Player: 4.45

Coach: Those are your Dad's guns. Sign this letter of intent.

This rule is pablum. And those who say it will go away as soon as UT loses some recruits over it (not that UT will) are correct. A stupid rule that does nothing.

they cant even be in possession of them either. So if Bubba or Leroy, the 300lb country boys from Georgia or Mississippi wanna hunt they will go elsewhere.

You would be suprised how many football players hunt, especially Titans.

Guest 6.8 AR

Political correctness has taken over the colleges almost everywhere. Part of the

progressive game plan for almost a hundred years and we didn't even see it coming.:up:

while playing sports is voluntary I am not so sure the university, specifically the AD can lawfully ban gun ownership or possession of student athletes.

Unless the entire student body is forbidden ownership or possession Hamitlon is discriminating against student athletes. That is not allowed. You have to treat them the same.

since it is law that no guns be carried on school grounds, and we all know there are currently none being carried, handled, etc on school grounds, forbidding the ownership/legal carry, etc OFF campus will not hold up in court. If an employer tells you that you cannot own a gun off the work campus because they do not allow it, we would tell them to soak their heads. So why is this different? Hamilton is an idiot, always has been, always will be. After all, he fired Fulmer, hired Kiffen, and the jury is still out on Dulley. Send Hamilton packing, he disgraces the university.

Guest rockbottom12
Misunderstood point,,,,, a private school could not ban personal ownership of firearms. As far as I know there Is not a college in the country that allows firearms on their property,,,,,, this is a long cry from telling students or athletes " you can not own a gun".

I think utah allows carry on campus. but dont have time to check now.