Vortex Viper scopes?

Anybody have any experience or heard anything about Vortex scopes, more specifically their Viper line? I'm looking for something decent and relatively inexpensive(~$500) to start with until I can afford to upgrade to something nice. It will mostly be used for target shooting (100 out to 600yds) on a Rem 700 for now, but I may use it for hunting occasionally. Any input?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 6.8 AR

I can't speak for the viper, but I bought a Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50 for $99 last year.

It's the first scope I've used since I was a teenager and it's a decent scope for my money. I'm sure the pro's around here will have more to say about the better stuff to buy(probably right, too), but I'm happy. :)

Guest JHatmaker

I picked up a Counter Sniper scope from Hero-Gear for one of my rifles and have been very pleased w/ the fit and finish as well as clarity of the optics. You get a lot of scope for your money.

I know that's a haul for you since you're in Memphis, but check them out as an alternative unless you're already set on getting a Vortex (I have no experience w/ them)

Guest 6.8 AR
I've read a couple of first hand reviews on another forum but it was hard to judge the quality since they all seemed to be "experts". I did manage to find this review which was more helpful. Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 review | Scopes and Optics Reviews | Gunmart

6.8AR- Did you order from their site or another vendor?

It was from the 6.8Forums, one of the members. I don't remember if those

scopes were from a group buy or not. I like mine, but some of the guys bitched about being made in China and also they were 1/8 click adjustments,

IIRC. Sorry.

Thanks for the input guys. This is just going to be an intermediate scope while I save up for something better and to get used to shooting the rifle (it came in today :hiding: ). I've seen a few other reviews and most people seem to pretty happy with them. I'm not dead set on a Vortex, but I'm leaning that way the more I read on them.

Guest 6.8 AR

Just make sure you get a mount that works with the scope. Maybe a Burris PEPR. I

think it was that link that MikeW listed. I almost said opticsplanet but it was swfa. I didn't realize it was still available.